Charleston still kicking after bas closure

Spartan

This is just an interesting article. Enjoy.

Navy thrives again after Charleston base closure

By CHUCK CRUMBO

Staff Writer | The Post & Courier

Less than a decade after its last ship sailed out of Charleston, the Navy has steamed back into being the Trident area

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting article. I didn't know the Navy was still operating in the Charleston area. I still would love to see some type of mixed use development occur at the old Naval Base. Its on the river, it still has a lot of older historic brick industrial buildings and it would be a shot in the arm, in that area of town.

Interesting article.  I didn't know the Navy was still operating in the Charleston area.

I was on a fishing trip in the bay and up the intercoastal waterway a couple of years ago. We went up Cooper(?) river until we were near the Naval base, where we were no longer able to pass, as it was off-limits. There were hundreds of containers stacked all over the place, obviously a stockpile of sorts. :)

BTW, it wasn't a great day for fishing (nobody else fishing did well that day either), but it was fun to tour the area with the 1998 angler of the year. :)

Archived