Gratuity for Maintenance

jarrodslc

Is it appropriate to pay gratuity to the maintence worker for repairs at your apartment? I'm talking for the big stuff like flooding pipes, broken windows, ect. I never really thought much about it, but I am starting to wonder if maybe I should offer a small tip or something for their work? I know that the cost of everything is included in my rent, but I also know that my apartments don't pay the maintence workers a fair wage. Just like servers in a restaurant. I am asking because there are some people fixing a very large window in my apartment that broke and I feel as though I should offer them a small tip... unfortunately I never have cash anymore so looks like they are out of luck this time. But please offer your thoughts on the subject. Should I feel guilty?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe guilt was the wrong word to use. I just meant since they are obviously low wage workers and I can afford to give them a little extra should I since they are helping me out. ie keeping my place from flooding and destroying everything (which has happened to me!). So forget the guilt part just wondering if it is something others out there do or not?

Seems to me since I tip at restaurants, and this is pretty much the same type of situation, I should tip? Just curious if maybe there is a regional social rule on this or not? I know my friends who own condos and pay condos fees here do still have a unspoken rule of tipping maintance poeple. Just doesn't carry over into apartments here? Maybe it's because those of us in apartments don't have as much money or as much interest in the dwelling as our condo counterparts?

They shouldn't be tipped every time they come to your apartment, but if you have a regular guy (girl) who does the maintainance in your building, a holiday tip would be good. The amount is totally up to you and should reflect the level of service he provided you. I would say $50 or $100, it really depends. Maybe $100 is more New York prices.

It does grease the wheels if you are known to be a good holiday tipper.

As much as I hate the idea of tipping, if someone does a job quickly, on short notice or otherwise under some kind of duress I usually tip some extra. This is assuming their friendly and nice about it as well. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not up on the whole holiday tipping either.

I've been told you're supposed to leave something for the mailman, garbage man, cleaning lady, newspaper delivery person, etc etc etc....

well I didn't do any of that.

I do some handywork on the side, and one of my people gave me a generous gift. I've known her for a while though and I got her a gift as well. Otherwise I wouldn't expect one.

I would say no. Unless you are a valet, or a waiter/waitress, then you don't generally get tips for your work. It is their job, so I see no reason to. Unless you're feeling bad about it, then I see no real reason not to. Besides, it might put you in good favor with them, and they might make an extra effort to fix your stuff first. It might be beneficial to everyone?

Archived