Southside

ezcheese

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been decided.....I am moving...NOW

I have a townhouse in Southside that I am going to sell this summer. I am moving to DT Winston-Salem's West End Villiage because I work over there. Let me know and I can make you a deal. I can't sell until August because I need to own and occupy the property for 2 years so i will not have to pay capital gains on any profit.

I have a townhouse in Southside that I am going to sell this summer. I am moving to DT Winston-Salem's West End Villiage because I work over there. Let me know and I can make you a deal. I can't sell until August because I need to own and occupy the property for 2 years so i will not have to pay capital gains on any profit.

wow you live in Southside? i'm sure I've taken photos of your house then because I took photos of all the houses, townhomes and apartments.

• 1 month later...

200 apartments will be planned for Southside in Downtown Greensboro and will consist of 13 3 story buildings, a clubhouse and pool. The apartment complex wil be located on the northeast side of the neighborhood across from the depot with the perfect view of Greensboro's Skyline. The project will be called Ciity View Apartments.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/603240321

I wish they would grow upwardly instead of out. Condense everything into a few high rises instead of 13 low rises! But I think this is great for GSO. Plenty of my friends (ages 20-25) who would love to live DT but the thought of getting an expensive condo is pretty intimidating. This would diversify the area a lot.

yea 2 100 unit towers would be nice but still, this is very good news for downtown. i see developers are finally banking on the college population around downtown. these will be leased up fast now that Elon is joining UNCG, A&T, Bennet, and GC. the demand for temporary housing will only get greater. :thumbsup: Lots of big news coming out of Greensboro lately.

It will be interesting to see whether these will be built in an urban or suburban form. With all the low rise buildings and the pool, it sounds frighteningly like the massive, generic, aluminum sided apartment complexes surrounded by huge parking lots they plop down in a lot of places. Something like that could really damage the potential of any neighborhood.

If they actually are urban buildings, this could be fantastic-- even though they're not very tall, it would really fill in a lot of the streetscape. I'm not all that familiar with Greensboro -- how far is this neighborhood from the 'downtown proper'?

It's directly south of downtown, maybe half a mile from the JP building. I'm really not sure what to think of this. If they're done in an urban form, (like the townhomes across the sreet) then they will be great for the neighborhood. But if they're done in a suburban form, (like you find everywhere else in the city) It would set a really bad precedent for downtown projects.

Neighborhood plan

After looking at the neighborhood plan, I think this article might be talking about the "King Street Town Homes." It doesn't look like there is enough land there for a typical suburban apartment complex. A 200 unit URBAN apartment complex would be wonderfull for the area. I could see that adding a good 250 - 300 people; not to mention the how much more dense the area would become.

i was downtown earlier today and i get more excited about the future of downtown each time i am there. it's great to see additional residential development. the whole southside development is really coming along wonderfully. it may as well be considered downtown since you're literally a 2 minute walk from downtown "officially".

If they're building on the site of the King Street Townhomes, then I'd imagine the buildings would look alot like the live-work units they've already constructed, but with apartments on all three levels.

I'm hopeful that this will be a good project. The track record of the builder is pretty good.

actually Southside is downtown within the central business district boundaries. From what im hearing the complex will be urban like a village and not like the cheap looking suburban projects with alot of parking lots. The architecture will greatly resemble the rest of Southside. This will be a very unique and nice development.

Why all the worry. Its the same developer who has developed Southside. I am sure he is not going to do something that will not fit in with the Southside Neighborhood.

I didn't realize this -- makes me feel a lot better. From what I've seen, Southside seems to be really well done. Still, I'll be interested to see how he works the pool in there -- its tough for me to imagine an 'urban' pool that's not indoors or on a roof.

Southside is such a cool project. For some reason it reminds me of Fairview Village in Camden NJ. Fairview's a bit run down but the planning, based on the "garden village" movement is impeccable. In Fairview there is a central square with businesses and shops all around it. Hopefully the planners in Southside will leave some open space for a village square/green type park.

I wondered about going with 3 story buildings myself. Why not fewer building built taller? Then I thought how that would look with the rest of Southside and realized that it does make sense to build a similar height as the rest of the area. Plus, these being apartments, which downtown desparately needs, you really have to think about building cost.

This is good news.

Archived