Southside

ezcheese

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how the Rail Yard Park plan is coming along? That would be the perfect compliment to the Apartments.

There is a downtown committee planning for the park right now. The park will likey require city funds which could be a stumbling block. But the proposed site is a blight in downtown and I think the city will support it.

• 1 month later...

I just read in this mornings paper that Manny Universal Cafe' just opened in one of the live-work units in Southside. This is a very unique neighborhood in not only downtown Greensboro but the whole state. hopefully more restaurants will follow.

• 2 months later...

Accoridng to sources they are planning on putting condos in Southside. The condos will be located across from the fountain in the curve on Lewis street. The front of the building will face the fountain and the back of the building will face Arlington street and will compliment the exisiting architecture in Southside. Most of the residences at Southside now are townhomes and live work townhomes. Currently there are no condos in Southside. They are also planning on constructing 250 apartments near the railroad tracks.

Thanks for the updates. SOuthside is growing far beyond its origional plan. Id like to see more restauarants and maybe a nightclub or two in southside, also a school in southside. Also there will be additional townhomes in Southside on King Street.

literally hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of residential units are in the works for downtown. It wont be long before downtown Greensboro's population adds a couple thousand people. That critical mass is important because residential attract major retail and other services.

• 2 weeks later...

The News & Record just reported more downtown residential is coming. The project will consist of 8 three story apartment buildings, club house and pool. The development will be erected on the far north end of Southside and south of the railroadtracks and the Depot offering the perfect view of Greensboro's skyline. The land has just been aquired and demolisho of exisiting structures will begin before mid-september. The first of the 8 buildings will be completed by June 2007.

The News & Record showed a rendering of one of the apartment buildings and I must say they look nothing like typical suburban style apartment building and they are consistant with the "urban style" thats found throughout Southside. The apartments will have more of an industrial look since they will be located near the railroad tracks and the depot. Rent wont be that bad either ranging from $600-$900 per month. There will be 276 apartment units. As soon as the article appears on the News & Record website, i'll post the link.

Here is the Rendering of what City View will look like. These apartments are really designed for singles/young professionals and not for families as the square footage will range between 600 and 850 square feet with studio and 1 to 2 bedroom apartments.

cityview.jpg

various photos of the Southside townhomes/live-work

ssn018-576.jpg

ssn012-576.jpg

ssn017-576.jpg

This looks like a home but these are apartments

ssn004-576.jpg

ssn014-576.jpg

ssn009-576.jpg

ssn010-576.jpg

ssn007-576.jpg

ssn003-576.jpg

It appears that there is alot of residential planning and construction goin on in downtown Greensboro these days and that makes downtown attracts for other type of services such as a supermarket or even one of those urban Home Depots or Targets. that are now popping up in cities such as Charlotte

I doubt an urban Target or Home Depot will consider the Triad anytime soon.

thanks for the update. like the design. i thought the original plan called for 13 buildings?

They did, there also were less units too. That means they reduce the sqaure footage per unit.

I think its possible for an urban home depot or Target. If there is enough residential in downtown and in the downtown area in general and if the residential meets the deomgraphics, there is nothing to stop Target or Home Depot from building an urban center. I think in the next 5 years downtown Greensboro will be ready.

Oh, Thank God! Those look absolutely great! Much, much better thant the first renderings I saw back in April when this was first announced. The original designs were very much suburban looking, but with a bright orange roof. Not only will this be a great addition to Southside, but it will most likely add over 300 more residents to Southside/Downtown. :thumbsup:

I think its a very good deal for the ammenities and archictectural stlye. $600-$900 is not bad at all, and in a downtown location with the best view of Greensboro's skyline. what more could you ask for. I'm tempted to move into those apartments.

There is one issue with these apartments and that is the train comes by about every 30 minutes, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and it is really noisy at this location. I know, I live in Southside and although I have gotten use to the train from my location these apartments are going to be right on the tracks.

There is one issue with these apartments and that is the train comes by about every 30 minutes, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and it is really noisy at this location. I know, I live in Southside and although I have gotten use to the train from my location these apartments are going to be right on the tracks.

True..Smothers Place Loft are also pretty much right up against the railroad tracks. The apartments may likely be built with some kind of sound proofing but im sure you'll still be able to hear trains. But if I decide to move into them, me and you will be neighbors Triadguy37 :)

I like the new designs. Looks much more fitting with the area. I'm sure they will fill quickly.

at those rent prices with brand new ammenities, im sure they will. You normally get a crappy apartment for $600 per month in a building thats 30 years old. But like Triadguy said, it may not be for everyone with all the trains that come through.

• 1 month later...

Southside in downtown Greensboro already has one cafe' now this downtown neighborhood has a wine cafe' restaurant called "The Press" located on the first floor of this New Orleans style building. The restaurant/wine cafe will include live entertainment such as Jazz and Acoustic performers. The second floor is still vacant. It will be interesting to see what opens in that space. It will likely be entertinment related since entertainment likes to cluster around restaurants.

In The Press, Artists can display their pieces in the caf

Archived