Southside

ezcheese

• 1 month later...

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its still on hold until the economy turns around and banks lend more. I cant wait either because I can just walk across the street to a restaurant and a store.

That will be nice and will further add to the community feel of Southside. On a side not, I'm surprised that CVS or one of the other chain drugstores hasn't set up shop in Southside of in downtown for that matter. It would certainly somewhat fill a void until a full grocery store is built. But unless it would be designed to fit the overall aesthetic of downtown, I would rather they just stay away. I would hate to see a suburban-looking drugstore in downtown.

There was an interesting story on WXII last night highlighting one man's business in Southside. I believe it was a boutique clothing store featuring his own designs? I am glad to see people taking a chance with RETAIL in Greensboro. This is definitely a step in the right direction for Greensboro, especially Southside!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For a while there was no more available property to be developed in Southside but it looks like a historic commercial brick building that still has its original maple floors is for sale at about $500,000. Even though the building needs a lot of work, thats not a bad price for a developer considering the rising land value in this part of downtown. The building is located on Victor/King Street which is right across from CityView Apartments and it has 9,700 plus square feet.. Looking at the building it would be a great fit for a restaurant with a little work. Hopefully if there are any developers cruising this forum, they'll consider buying this property and doing something like that, especially with so many residents across the street (300+ mostly college age and young professionals in their 20s and 30s). Because of those demographics, thats the perfect fit for a restaurant with a little live entertainment. Its a golden opportunity for any developer because that restaurant would be jammed packed all the time. That will turn the last eye sore in Southside to something special and its in a great location. Vintage 301, the upscale wine cafe/restaurant is nearby. As a resident of CityView I can tell you I would be a frequent patron.

king-308-b.jpg

CityView Apartments across the street

vFuEnpbEjns.jpg

f0TqKY3sfY6.jpg

3114438775_6a36eabe42.jpg

3114457925_92047078fc.jpg

2995373864_7514eb75e2.jpg

2973801349_160b8e669f.jpg

2093030707_a5dddd519d.jpg

2973878153_caac10ac5f.jpg

2960477504_a9550686ed.jpg

2933065366_2c40fb72d1.jpg

2635618593_37528e8747.jpg

Nearby Vintage 301

web_vin_1.2181809.jpg

2811_1140431024775_1047394411_30405883_1019224_n.123103610.jpg

lounge.32153911.jpg

lnge.15115306.jpg

liquor_009.347105727.jpg

Hey City, how's Vintage doing? I've been there several times and there always seems to be a good crowd.

Business has really picked up. In the beginning there weren't a lot of people coming because the word had already spread that The Press had closed. Once those customers realized a new wine cafe was opening there, they returned.

• 2 months later...

An independent movie was being filmed at CityView apartments (pool area) this past saturday The property manager sent all the residents emails. This is what they sent me

Attention City View Residents,

An independent movie is being filmed at City View tomorrow, Saturday September 12th, from 2-7pm!!! The majority of the filming will take place between 3 & 6pm and will be mostly confined to the pool area. If you were hoping to soak up some sun or play in the pool tomorrow, you still can – you simply have to sign a release and waiver and understand that you may be in the background of a shot directly, or indirectly. As an extra, you will be able to partake in free pizza from Hungry Howie’s, wings from Beef O’Brady’s, and beer from Budweiser (you will be carded so make sure you have your ID handy!) – and please do not bring any other brands of beer to the pool due to their contract with Budweiser. Due to the nature of the film (it is based around beer pong), please be mindful this will not be a child-friendly movie shoot (the film will not contain nudity).

vFuEnpbEjns.jpg

• 10 months later...

Residential development is on the horizon for Southside. An expansion to CityView Apartments is underway and could include 60 to 80 apartment units. The expansion will be built on vacant land at the corner of Gorrell and King Street and could include a restaurant and a small store. The architecture style of this phase of CityView might be slightly different to better reflect the architecture on Gorrell Street which is a mix of "Charleston Style" single family homes and New Orleans French Quarter style buildings. Currently there are eight CityView brick apartment buildings lined up along the railroad tracks on King and McAdoo Streets and each building has about 40 apartments. The height of the expansion is being worked on now. I am a resident of CityView and one of the managers at the time said the next phase could be as tall as 6-stories. But that has to be approved by the Southside Neighborhood Association and im not sure they would approve a building that tall on that corner because it might be slightly out of scale with the architecture on that end of Gorrell. The building of Gorrell Street are mainly two story buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it's hard to imagine the 2 story buildings eclipsed by 6 story buildings. That's interesting that CityView is expanding, they must be doing really well.

Yes they are and what's even more surprising is that CityView has been going up on the rent rates.

How much are rates there compared to what they previously were?

well the 606 square foot studio apartments were $695 a month when the complex opened. Now its over $800 a month. The regular 777 Sq ft one bed rooms are about $940 a month and the 968 Sq Ft two bedrooms are like $1100 a month. But rates vary depending on what floor you are on and what side of the building you live on. The rent is higher on the side of the building facing Greensboro's skyline and third floor apartments are more expensive because the ceilings are 11 feet with exposed beams and air ducts. The rent also varies depending on amenities. Apartments with brick accent walls have higher rent. Your rent is even higher once you add the tv cable package. Its a cool place though. If you live on the first floor, your apartment will have stained concrete floors and of course wood floors for the second and third floors. All apartments feature granite counter tops in the kitchen and the first and second floors have 9 foot ceilings. The studio apartments technically aren't true studio apartments. Basically they are smaller one bedrooms. In a true studio apartment the bedroom, living room and kitchen space are combined into one room. That is not the case with the studios at CityView. The bedroom is a separate room. But the studios do have unique features such as glass bedroom doors and windows facing the hallway. Every Friday there is a social for CityView residents with free beer, wine and food from various downtown restaurants. There are a few local well known people that live there. Josh from 1075 KZL and weatherman Grant Gilmore from WFMY News 2 lives at cityview. Weatherman Eric Chilton use to live at CityView. It really is a mix of business people and college students, mostly from Elon Unv Law School. But some students from UNCG ad NC A&T live there as well. Clearly CityView is more expensive than your typical suburban apartment complex. In the suburbs you can get a nice spacious two bedroom for what you pay for a little studio at CityView. But really you are paying for the downtown location. Parking can be a nightmare though. but that is to be expected living downtown. The parking lots fill up quickly in the evenings and it can be difficult to find parking. Residents can also park along King Street.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Construction is well underway for the CityView Apartment expansion project in downtown Greensboro. The foundation and plumbing have been laid for the 80-unit four story apartment building. As I stated before I do have an issue with the scale of the building at its location. The foot print is massive and it will be a four story apartment building next to two story early 20th century retro style single family homes. Hardly a smooth architectural transition. In fact the footprint for this building is larger than the footprint of the other eight buildings. Its interesting that the developers never showed renderings of this building. Maybe they were afraid of neighborhood out cry. The side of a town home next to the apartment building will basically face a four story wall next to it and some homes will lose their view of Greensboro's skyline.

Archived