Southside

ezcheese

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is a map I drew that will show where southside is and the ballpark. Downtown is one sqaure mile. Southside is the larger purple area on the bottom right and you can see the ballpark icon. You can also see where Railyard Park and the waterway will go. What is intereating is that Railyard Park will eventually become a greenway that will encircle downtown. It will provide an easy and attracte way for Southside residents to walk to the ballpark which would be about a mile walk along the greenway.

downtowngreensboroNC.jpg

downtowngreensboroNClegend.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you get your information for RailYard Park, NC Technology Center, ACC Museum and King Cotton Hotel? I know some of these have been proposed from Action Greensboro Master Plan, but have not heard any specifics of them going ahead. Last I heard ACC Museum was being planned for next to the coliseum after they tear down the old Canada Dry factory.

There is a proposal on the table for a NC Tech Science Museum in downtown Greensboro but I havent heard anything about it recently. I first heard about it early last year. I added question marks on the map to indicate that the project or its location were just ideas for downtown. no one has proposed the rebuilding of the King Cotton Hotel but I wanted to throw the idea out there where it could be built next to the depot. It certainly appears now they ther are going to build the ACC Hall of Fame next to the Coliseum but some still speculate downtown hasnt been counted out. I know the Greensboro News & Record has been pushing for a downtown location but as it stands, next to the coliseum is the most realistic choice.

There is a proposal on the table for a NC Tech Science Museum in downtown Greensboro but I havent heard anything about it recently. I first heard about it early last year. I added question marks on the map to indicate that the project or its location were just ideas for downtown. no one has proposed the rebuilding of the King Cotton Hotel  but I wanted to throw the idea out there where it could be built next to the depot. It certainly appears now they ther are going to build the ACC Hall of Fame next to the Coliseum but some still speculate downtown hasnt been counted out. I know the Greensboro News & Record has been pushing for a downtown location but as it stands, next to the coliseum is the most realistic choice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got an idea! :w00t: How about the News & Record building a new facility on South Elm below Lee Street. Then they could sell their currently property for the ACC Museum. That would solve two problems: redeveloping that section of Elm and bringing the museum downtown. OR.... build the ACC Museum on S. Elm below Lee. Someday though I would like to see the N&R sell their prime piece of real-estate. They are hogging a large tract of land downtown with their unattractive, low-rise office building and parking lot. Errr...!!! So if the N&R wants to play a role in boosting downtown, there is an idea for them.

I'm surprised to see more contruction, I thought that Southside was completed. Any idea on how many phases they're building?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are working on Phase 4 right now. It includes a combination of townhomes, live/work units, and a commercial building. They are also planning a row of townhomes right behind 107.5 studio. The area around the rail yard just on the other side of Gorrell Street will be developed next year. They are planning 55 townhomes for this area. There are also some new townhomes going up on the corner of Macdoo and Murray. These are going to be called The Towers @ Southside. They will be 3 stories with roof top patios.

• 2 months later...

Southside like you never seen it before. Located in the southeastern side of the central business district in Greensboro, this neighborhood is a combination of townhomes, apartments, single family homes, live-work units, historic renovations and commercial space. The majority of the neighborhood is new construction even though all the single family homes look like historic renovations. There are a varity of architectural styles such as Charleston, English Tudor, Georgetown, New Orleans and early 20th century Greensboro. The neighborhood has already won national awards from Washington DC and is the perfect template for taking a blighted neighborhhood and transforming it into something special. The residential development in downtown Greensboro is a direct result of all the great things that are happening downtown such as the new ballpark, new restaurants, bars, nightclubs, theaters and museums going up. Within 5 years downtown has gone from completely dead after hours to having the 2nd most vibrant nightlife in North Carolina after Charlotte. Thats a big feat for a city that was notoriously known for being slow to change. The train station will be opening in a couple of months at the downtown multi-modal transportation center and it will be the new stop for Amtrack. I look foward to the 10 acre Bellemeade Village project that will be next to the ballpark and will have over 300 townhomes, condos, apartment and live-work units. Most of those building will be around 5 to 6 stories and it will add a mid-rise skyline on the northwest side of downtown. There may be a building in the project thats taller! I also look forward to the opening of the center-city park, Rail yard Park and the greenway loop.

ENJOY THE TOUR! :)

SSide2005_1.jpg

SSide2005_2.jpg

SSide2005_3.jpg

SSide2005_4.jpg

SSide2005_5.jpg

SSide2005_6.jpg

SSide2005_7.jpg

SSide2005_8.jpg

SSide2005_9.jpg

These townhomes will have rooftop decks!

SSide2005_10.jpg

SSide2005_11.jpg

SSide2005_12.jpg

SSide2005_13.jpg

SSide2005_14.jpg

SSide2005_15.jpg

SSide2005_16.jpg

SSide2005_17.jpg

SSide2005_18.jpg

SSide2005_19.jpg

SSide2005_20.jpg

SSide2005_21.jpg

SSide2005_22.jpg

SSide2005_23.jpg

SSide2005_24.jpg

SSide2005_25.jpg

SSide2005_26.jpg

SSide2005_27.jpg

SSide2005_28.jpg

SSide2005_29.jpg

SSide2005_20.jpg

It depends on the size home or townhome. The live-work units are a little more expensive and can be in the range of 250,000 - 350,000. other townhomes are around 180,000 and im not sure what the single family homes are. I'm sure they vary becasue some homes are bigger and fancier than others.

Even the apartments are nice. These apartments looks more like a Charleston/Colonial home.

SSide2005_68.jpg

What I love about this neighborhood is the range of architectural styles and how they all fit together in harmony. Its really interesting to just walk the streets of this downtown neighborhood and look at the styles.

CHARLESTON STYLES

SSide2005_40.jpg

SSide2005_58.jpg

SSide2005_16.jpg

NEW ORLEANS STYLE

SSide2005_50.jpg

EARLY 20TH CENTURY GREENSBORO STYLES

SSide2005_18.jpg

SSide2005_19.jpg

ENGLISH TUDOR STYLE

SSide2005_75.jpg

GEORGETOWN STYLE

SSide2005_74.jpg

VICTORIAN STYLE

SSide2005_81.jpg

SSide2005_49.jpg

These townhomes look interesting. They havent been built yet and they have rooftop decks which is very unique to the Triad. They start at $180,000.

SSide2005_11.jpg

http://www.downtownstadium.org/SSide2005_88.jpg

Wow! I had no idea they had already renovated that house. That's amazing.

Any idea when construction of the towers at Southside/Townhomes at McAdoo is going to start? I'm really interested to see what they're going to look like.

Also, http://www.downtownstadium.org/SSide2005_89.jpg what is this? It doesn't look like this was part of the original Southside plan. Was this added on later or is it a separate development?

Here are what th towers at Southside is going to look like. As you can see they will have rooftop decks which is the first of its kind in the Triad. Im not sure when construction will start but I imagine really soon.

SSide2005_11.jpg

The second lnik you post DCB is additional townhomes that werent part of the origional plan. We may see even more becasue now that the neighborhood is looking more complete, more people are want to live here.

yes those new single family homes were built really well. Usually you can tell an immitation of an old structure be these homes actually look like homes that have been there for years that heve recently been renovated. This is top qaulity.

Right now Action Greensboro has a Rail Yard Park committee made up of citizens and civic leaders. Rail Yard park is in Phase 3 of the downtown comprehensive plan. We are just begining phase 2. Unfortunately there are not enough funds to fund everything at one time, I wish there were. But the development of Rail Yard Park will likely occur as part of the later phases of the Greenway loop. But yes Rail Yard Park is still on the table to be built. Right now that land is filled with tall over grown grass and abandoned reailroad track so something should definatly be done with this land.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived