Southside

ezcheese

It's a breathtaking change for those of us that grew up in Greensboro.

(Well, on the outskirts of it, and rode through this area regularly when my parents took me to town.)

These neighborhoods went through a roller coaster down and up. It was a stable middle class white section of town until the early 1960s. By the early 1980s it was rent-by-the-week ghetto. Bums on discarded sofas, boarded up houses, people leaning in car windows buying drugs. Eyes-straight-ahead-look-at-nobody-and-drive....

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, decades ago, MLK jr. Blvd use to be called Asheboro Street and it was the most affluent neighborhood in Greensboro. Over the years it began to decay then crime rose. Now the neighborhho including Southside has completly turned around and great things are happening.

It's a breathtaking change for those of us that grew up in Greensboro.

(Well, on the outskirts of it, and rode through this area regularly when my parents took me to town.)

These neighborhoods went through a roller coaster down and up. It was a stable middle class white section of town until the early 1960s. By the early 1980s it was rent-by-the-week ghetto. Bums on discarded sofas, boarded up houses, people leaning in car windows buying drugs. Eyes-straight-ahead-look-at-nobody-and-drive....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know exactly what you mean! I'm from NW GSO and I used to go downtown all the time with my dad to A&T. I haven't been down there in a VERY long time. The last thing I remember seeing down there was the Parker Brothers restaurant being closed down. I came back to GSO from LA last month for a wedding but couldn't make it downtown. It's absolutely amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

located in the southeast qaudrant of the central business district, the Southside neighborhood was established in 1899. Its the largest residential neighborhood located within downtown Greensboro. Its being revitalized with new early 20th century style homes, historic renovation, townhomes, apartments and live-work units. The newets building that is just about complete is the Hobbs Building. Its an office building that complements the New Orleans style townhomes.

SouthsideDecember24_2005_4.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_5.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_6.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_7.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_8.jpg

This is the Hobbs office building. As you can see, it looks alot like the buildings that are in the French Qaurter in New Orleans.

SouthsideDecember24_2005_9.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_10.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_11.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_12.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_13.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_14.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_15.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_16.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_17.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_18.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_19.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_20.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_21.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_22.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_23.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_24.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_25.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_26.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_27.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_28.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_29.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_30.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_31.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_32.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_33.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_34.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_35.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_36.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_37.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_38.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_39.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_40.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_41.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_42.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_43.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_44.jpg

This is the view southside residents see. The "brownfield" in the foreground use to be a rail yard and there is a plant o convert it into a park and will include a waterway or a chain of lakes.

SouthsideDecember24_2005_45.jpg

If you look carefully in the background behind Natty Green's microbrewery you'll notice Southside in the haze.

SouthsideDecember24_2005_1.jpg

This is part of Smother Place Lofts on Mcgee Street off of South Elm Street. the building with the pitch roof use to be the old Carolina Hotel and is being converted into condos

SouthsideDecember24_2005_2.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_3.jpg

• 1 month later...

here are some lofts that will be built on Arlington Street which is located on the west end of Southside near South Elm Street in downtown Greensboro.

The Southside neighborhood appears to be expanding southwest towards the proposed development at South Elm and Lee Streets. That development will have over 300 plus residential units, including a downtown super market and possibally a condo tower around 10 stories. It appear Southside and the Elm/Lee development will border one another.

Arlington1s.jpg

arlingtonfp1s.jpgarlingtonfp2s.jpg

Two car garage

First floor bonus room with full bath

First floor bedroom & office options

All brick exterior

Industrial building architecture

9 foot ceilings

Large steel & wood balcony

12 foot ceiling plus open joists

Large master bedroom, living room, kitchen

Hardwood floors, tiled baths

Granite kitchen counter tops with tile back splashes

Professional grade appliances

Gas fire place and range

Tile walk-in shower

McAdoo1L.jpgmcadoofp2L.jpg

mcadoofp1L.jpgmcadoofp0L.jpg

Standard features

9 and 10 foor ceilings

Crown molding in living areas, bedrooms & baths

Hardwood floor in living & dining room

Tiled floors in kitchen & bath

Gas fireplace w/ custgom built-ins

Granite counter tops and tiled back splashes in kitchen

Stainless kitchen appliances w/ gas range

Mastger bath w/ tiled walk-in shower & double vanity

Oversized single car garage w/ additional parking

Traditional covered front porch

Architectural shingles, hardiplank siding

Fully landscaped private courtyard

There also seem to be another residential project planned for Southside where the rail yard is called "Landing at the Depot" There are no renderings for that avaliable yet but it will be facing "the proposed Railyard Park" and the Depot. Also 13 townhomes appear to planned for King Street. There are no renderings of those yet either.

SSide2005_11.jpg

arielview.jpg

Archived