Southside

ezcheese

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for update. It is cool seeing so many places open. I believe more retail space is going to be needed.

DGI reported that more retail is indeed coming. Its an exciting time for downtown Greensboro. I think the Press is a unique concept for downtown. It combines wine, food, the arts and entertainment. Ive got to go there. The Press has 3 different seating areas. The dining area, lounge area with sofas and love seats and outdoor sidewalk cafe' seating. You can enjoy a meal while listening to live Jazz performances inside or outside. Hopefully we'll see more sidewalk cafes in Southside.

• 2 weeks later...

the press looks interesting. thanks for the info.

no problem. I went to the Press yesterday and had a glass of wine and an El Cabano sandwich. It was good and I love the restaurant. I felt like I was in a big city. Greensboro's skyline is easliy visible outside the windows and is was just a relaxing place to kick back with the jazz music playing.:) The decor made it seem like you were in an old restaurant from the French Quarter New Orleans. The restaurant even has WiFi so you can get on the internet wireless. In the sofa area of the restaurant I saw a couple sharing a bottle of wine. art work from local and regional artist line the walls. I recommend anyone to try the Press. I still find it amazing that a restaurant and residential development like Southside exsist today considering 15 years ago the area was run down with winos, prostition and other crime. Its an amazing transformation. 15 years ago I would have never thought this area would turn around.

• 2 weeks later...

Since there is so much going on in southside in downtown Greensboro I decide to make a thread dedicated to it.

Here are some more townhomes being planned for Southside. Its amazing becasue Southside is going FAR beyond its origional plan and to me its the most exciting residential neighborhood in not only downtown but in the city.

These townhomes have more of a victorian look and dont have brick as the others do. I love the foolr plan layout and the courtyard is a plus I love the variety of architecture and living options in this neighborehood!

These townhomes feature 16 x 14 Master Bedroom, down-jetted tub AND walk-in shower in master bathroom. Cathedral ceilings and gas fireplace in living room. Built-in desk in study. Granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances and gas range in kitchen. Two bedrooms on second floor. Two car garage. Large private courtyard. Hardwood floors in Living room, Dining room, Kitchen, Powder room and Study. 9' ceilings with crown moulding. Tiled baths. They cost around $294,000

DevonshireL.jpg

devfp327-2L.jpgdevfp327-1L.jpg

The Macadoo Townhomes are now for sale

McAdoo.jpg

These also have private courtyards.

mcadoofp0L.jpg

The Arlington Lofts are now under construction

Arlington1L.jpg

iTs such a cool place. It makes me want to live there and I get excited everytime I hear of another townhome project being built there. I love the pallete of architectural styles and the use of color on these homes. alot of bright pinks, blues greens and yellows. and the great thing is they all blend together. I love the wine/restaurant cafe' there too. I cant wait til those apartments get built. I think its about time Greensboro is due for another "All-America City" award. The last time Greensboro got the award was back in 1991. and All America City was posted on the city limit signs.

iTs such a cool place. It makes me want to live there and I get excited everytime I hear of another townhome project being built there. I love the pallete of architectural styles and the use of color on these homes. alot of bright pinks, blues greens and yellows. and the great thing is they all blend together. I love the wine/restaurant cafe' there too. I cant wait til those apartments get built. I think its about time Greensboro is due for another "All-America City" award. The last time Greensboro got the award was back in 1991. and All America City was posted on the city limit signs.

Cityboi, I have a feeling that you will live there one day :)

they are clearing a lot of land behind the mcadoo townhomes. is that going to be where the apartments are built? or will it be more townhomes or condos?

couuld be more condos or townhomes. I do know the 3 building apartment complex is suppose to abutt the railroad tracks which will have the perfect view of the depot and Greensboro's skyline.

Cityboi, I have a feeling that you will live there one day :)

I think so. Its a neighborhood ive come to love.

It is an amazing change. What I remember from the 1980s around here was boarded-up homes with peeling paint... bums sitting on abandoned sofas drinking from paper bags... empty lots with abandoned cars.

It was not war-zone ghetto, but it was pretty darn ragged!

It is an amazing change. What I remember from the 1980s around here was boarded-up homes with peeling paint... bums sitting on abandoned sofas drinking from paper bags... empty lots with abandoned cars.

It was not war-zone ghetto, but it was pretty darn ragged!

Now there are homes there upwards to $400,000 and $500,000 with establishments such as a wine cafe'. Id say its a big turn around. Southside in my opinion is a national model how a bad neighborhood can be turned to gold.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SS1221_1.jpg

302MLK.jpg

302MLK1L.jpg

302MLK14L.jpg

302MLK13L.jpg

302MLK8L.jpg

SS1221_2.jpg

These are new townhomes under construction in Southside

SS1221_2b.jpg

SS1221_3.jpg

SS1221_4.jpg

SS1221_5.jpg

SS1221_6.jpg

I love these Charleston style homes

SS1221_7.jpg

here is a historic renovation in Southside

SS1221_8.jpg

colorful Southside townhomes

SS1221_9.jpg

SS1221_10.jpg

SS1221_11.jpg

clearing way for City View Apartments in Southside. Its very dificult to capture Greensboro's entire skyline in one photo shot.

SS1221_12.jpg

SS1221_13.jpg

SS1221_14.jpg

looking down the old railyard which will one day be transformed into Rail Yard Park with a waterway.

SS1221_15.jpg

SS1221_16.jpg

SS1221_17.jpg

SS1221_18.jpg

SS1221_19.jpg

awesome. southside is really cool. i like those macadoo townhomes, they went up fast. i also really like the single family homes in the neigborhood and i'm glad they are restoring the one on the corner. it had a tarp draped over the roof for the longest time and i always wondered if it would get rennovated or just torn down.

Great pictures Cityboi! Future residents of City View Apartments will have the best view of Greensboro's

emerging skyline!

Does anyone have specific information on the progress on the Rail Yard Park? How are negotiations

going with the railroad? When can we expect construction to begin? Attitude changes with regards to railroad

right of way issues have me a little worried about the future of this project!

This is one of the most blight areas downtown and I am ready to see it cleaned up!

Archived