PHOTOS: Not quite a white Christmas

Cotuit

We didn't quite get a White Christmas in Providence, more like a White Boxing Day with 8-10 inches of snow yesterday and last night.

pvd20041227021.jpg

Work continues at the GTECH site despite the snow.

pvd20041227022.jpg

This pedestrian tunnel runs under Memorial Boulevard between Waterplace Park and Union Plaza. The tiles on the walls are Providence's September 11th Memorial created by area school children.

pvd20041227020.jpg

Looking across the Basin in Waterplace Park, the Rhode Island State House is on the hill.

pvd20041227019.jpg

A snow covered riverwalk with the Citizens Bank Building in the background.

pvd20041227018.jpg

More of the Waterplace Park Basin.

I took these pics before work, it was hella cold and the wind was whipping up the snow so I stopped taking pictures and rushed to work.

These pictures I took after work, it was a bit warmer and the wind had died down so it was a little nicer for picture taking. These are taken on College Hill and then I worked my way back down to the river.

pvd20041227017.jpg

The University Club on Benefit Street.

pvd20041227016.jpg

RISD Museum, Benefit Street.

pvd20041227014.jpg

University Club and Frazier Terrace.

pvd20041227015.jpg

RISD's College Building and the Courthouse.

pvd20041227008.jpg

RISD's College Building.

pvd20041227013.jpg

Providence Atheneum.

pvd20041227012.jpg

Some brick row houses on Benefit Street.

pvd20041227011.jpg

More of Benefit Street.

pvd20041227009.jpg

College Street, I think this building belongs to Brown University.

pvd20041227010.jpg

Dome of the Old Stone Bank from behind.

pvd20041227007.jpg

Looking down College Street toward Downcity from Benefit Street.

pvd20041227006.jpg

The Courthouse from Monument Landing.

pvd20041227005.jpg

Monument Landing, in better weather I have my lunch here.

pvd20041227004.jpg

College Street Bridge, Citizens Bank Building in the background.

pvd20041227003.jpg

Providence River from RISD.

pvd20041227002.jpg

RISD Store and RISD Auditorium from the Canal Walk.

pvd20041227001.jpg

Washington Bridge from near the Confluence of the rivers.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The river relocation project designs were inspired largely by Venice (we even have gondolas during the summer), of course seeing it in the snow gives it a more Eastern European feel. And the buildings in Providence are more Eastern European flavoured than Venetian.

The Benefit Street area is the best part of the city. Benefit Street was the first historic district created in the country, nearly every building on the street is at least 100 years old, if not considerably older. I'm lucky to work in this extremely esthetically pleasing neighbourhood.

I just recently took some photos of Benefit recently as well (minus the snow). I'll post them when I get some time.

Benefit Street, Providence's "Mile of History," for those of you who have never seen it, is in my opinion one of the most beautiful streets in the U.S., and as Cotuit's pictures show, it's a stone's throw from the commerical center. What wonderful contrast.

- Garris

Providence, RI

• 1 year later...

The river relocation project designs were inspired largely by Venice (we even have gondolas during the summer), of course seeing it in the snow gives it a more Eastern European feel. And the buildings in Providence are more Eastern European flavoured than Venetian.

The Benefit Street area is the best part of the city. Benefit Street was the first historic district created in the country, nearly every building on the street is at least 100 years old, if not considerably older. I'm lucky to work in this extremely esthetically pleasing neighbourhood.

As much as I LOVE to brag about Providence, becuase it's incredible, Benefit Street actually wasn't the country's first historic district - it wasn't listed until 1971, even though the restoration of the street by private citizens had been going on since the mid-50s. The first historic district in the country was designated in Charleston, South Carolina (where else?), in 1931. Immediately after that, New Orleans desginated one in 1936, Alexandria, VA in 1946, and so on. College Hill/the greater East Side is not the largest historic district in the country either, contrary to what lots of people believe. That title is held by downtown Savannah, GA, and held by a wide margin at that. That doesn't count the various other large historic districts in Savannah that lie outside of downtown, either.

Regardless, though, Benefit street is equally admirable on sheer age and physical beauty alone, not to mention its close proximity to downtown, and its size relative to the size of the city. While not being the first, or largest historic district, it's still the largest collection of original colonial architecture in the country.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I LOVE to brag about Providence, becuase it's incredible, Benefit Street actually wasn't the country's first historic district - it wasn't listed until 1971, even though the restoration of the street by private citizens had been going on since the mid-50s. The first historic district in the country was designated in Charleston, South Carolina (where else?), in 1931. Immediately after that, New Orleans desginated one in 1936, Alexandria, VA in 1946, and so on. College Hill/the greater East Side is not the largest historic district in the country either, contrary to what lots of people believe. That title is held by downtown Savannah, GA, and held by a wide margin at that. That doesn't count the various other large historic districts in Savannah that lie outside of downtown, either.

Regardless, though, Benefit street is equally admirable on sheer age and physical beauty alone, not to mention its close proximity to downtown, and its size relative to the size of the city. While not being the first, or largest historic district, it's still the largest collection of original colonial architecture in the country.

benefit street is the longest contiguous collection of historic buildings in teh country though.

Archived