Graffiti

Garris

Well, maybe you and I should form ourselves into the Point Street Bridge Business Improvement District. I'm completely serious that I would gladly repaint this anytime it's defiled. The great thing about rapid repainting is that as soon as people see how quickly it gets painted over, most of them stop trying.

Anything! I'm willing. I don't care how nice or nasty it is, I see grafitti and nothing more than destruction of personal and public property. It tells me the "artist" has no respect for other people or things. So, I have absolutely no respect for them or their spray paint trash.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm tired of seeing graffiti around downcity and the other neighborhoods I frequent. Tomorrow I'm going to take my bike down to Waterplace (A major victim, I've noticed) and document some of the major graffiti I see. It sucks, especially when i do volunteer work for Waterfire, to explain the history of Providence to patrons in the Wall of Hope tunnel and have to gesture to historical wall records that are covered with graffiti signatures.

After that, I'm gonna take a run up to City Hall and talk to the Public Services office and see if I'm allowed to organize members from Youth Pride (Non-profit organization catering to the emotional and social needs of queer youth) to spend a day's activity cleaning up Graffiti in a concentrated area.

Besides Waterplace Park/the WoHope tunnel, where are some other incidents of graffiti that the Mayor's taskforce have yet to tackle effectively? It's still relatively new and could use some help getting the marking under control. I hate graffiti and the atmosphere it projects, so i have no problem spending a day beofre I go back to school scrubbing some stone.

Oh, and if anyone would be interested in a concentrated effort, that'd be cool too!

i certainly hope that statesman keeps us up to date on his progress, what kind of reception he gets at city hall etc.

Lest anyone forget, we do have a co-equal branch of government called the City Council. Any complaining you do to the mayor's office should be CCed to City Council. the staff in that office is outstanding and i have had nothing but good experiences when i've needed something like my street plowed...

I know a lot of folks here think the council is useless but if you don't ever give the office a chance to fix some of the problems we have in the city, then those who rely on the mayor to fix everything are the ones to blame for the council's ineffectiveness.

Besides Waterplace Park/the WoHope tunnel, where are some other incidents of graffiti that the Mayor's taskforce have yet to tackle effectively? It's still relatively new and could use some help getting the marking under control.

Oh, boy, everywhere... Some ones off the top of my head I've noticed...

- The concrete wall on N. Main fronting the condos there...

- The median brick structure on Memorial with the skylights for the underpass...

- Obviously, the point street bridge...

- Several commercial/professional buildings in Wayland Sq

I'll pay extra close attention heading home today...

Oh, and if anyone would be interested in a concentrated effort, that'd be cool too!

Depending upon what and when it is, count me in. Let me know what happens...

- Garris

I was going to mention the concrete wall along N. Main st. as well. Not to mention the broken mirror along the same stretch of sidewalk that's been there for a month now.

There's no sense of civic spirit among these taggers. No one is proud of their home town, which is sad. I wonder if some sort of education around the city would help quell the desire to ruin the public buildings. Make these kids as proud as we are to live in this great city.

Lest anyone forget, we do have a co-equal branch of government called the City Council. Any complaining you do to the mayor's office should be CCed to City Council. the staff in that office is outstanding and i have had nothing but good experiences when i've needed something like my street plowed...

We share a city councilor do we not? My only response from Lombardi's office has ever been deafening silence. I complain about snow on the sidewalks every year, and never hear anything from him, and the problem never goes away.

We share a city councilor do we not? My only response from Lombardi's office has ever been deafening silence. I complain about snow on the sidewalks every year, and never hear anything from him, and the problem never goes away.

that hasn't been my experience. I try not to call him directly (although i have) but instead go through the correct channels of starting at the Council Office. i have certainly complained about a fair share of things, but not snow on sidewalks. One year i called from in front of my house, where i was stuck, in my 4WD truck in a pile of snow, and DPW came right out.

However, if this winter you're interested, we can walk a few blocks, take some pictures, mark down the addresses, send it to him, and copy DPW and the Mayor's office on it. I'm a big fan of fining people who don't shovel their walk, or who put their trash out three days early or any number of minor infractions and frankly i believe that maintaining law via fines is an excellent way to change behavior and make money for the city. Then, during the budget process in the spring, when the city is thinking of raising taxes, we can tally all the hours we put in walking the neighborhood looking for scoff-laws x a reasonable hourly rate and ask for a rebate. That always gets a big laugh at the public hearing.

So there I am, walking around Waterplace park on my lunch break, when suddenly I see two 18 year old (or so) Hispanic boys tagging everything in sight with a blue and a white "marker pen type thing". They tagged railings and trash cans, and a few pay phones with the words FLICK YOU and various other phrases. May I note that this was in BROAD DAYLIGHT!! at 1:30 in the afternoon!! There was not a policeman in sight. I quickly made a few phone calls and found the number for the Grafitti task force and gave them a ring. Low and behold two cops on bikes actually showed up in about 10 minutes. I was very very impressed by this. Unfourtently, the two punks were able to get away. I scowered "Downcity Providence" for the rest of my lunch break with the two cops trying to find the two kids but they were no where to be found. Despite my disapointment in catching these two jerks, I was very impressed as to the quick reaction time of the city.

• 4 weeks later...

On Friday afternoon I made a mental note to myself about how great it was that nobody had tagged or otherwise spraypainted on the "decorative" fencing around the site of 110. Coincidentally, it was tagged on both the Westminster and Weybosset sides over the weekend. As a general proposition, I'm with the Providence Journal's editorial staff.

On Friday afternoon I made a mental note to myself about how great it was that nobody had tagged or otherwise spraypainted on the "decorative" fencing around the site of 110. Coincidentally, it was tagged on both the Westminster and Weybosset sides over the weekend. As a general proposition, I'm with the Providence Journal's editorial staff.

...but I'd rather Providence do something like this (maybe in conjunction with harsher penalties)...

http://www.muralarts.org/

Anyone who has lived in or visited Philly knows how successful this program has been.

...but I'd rather Providence do something like this (maybe in conjunction with harsher penalties)...

http://www.muralarts.org/

Anyone who has lived in or visited Philly knows how successful this program has been.

My understanding is that is has been very successful. I'd still want jail time, though...

- Garris

Archived