Graffiti

Garris

There are a couple of issues with jail time.

1) That would mean taxpayers are now also paying to house these people.

2) Going to jail for a kid means that they can get a real education in crime.

I have no doubt that a good percentage of kids thrown in jail for a graffiti viiolation will become worse offenders upon their release, only they might move up to more violent and destructive crime.

What I would like to see is high amounts of community service rather than jail time. Something

punitive enough to it almost feels like jail, but also can help the community a little more than locking

these guys away. Maybe 200 hours for a first offense kind of thing. And then let them use their community service time for cleaning up the parks and the graffiti, since the Parks department seems to be short on labor.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is that is has been very successful. I'd still want jail time, though...

- Garris

it requires people to have pride in their neighborhoods... right now i don't think that's a common sentiment with many of our residents.

There are a couple of issues with jail time.

1) That would mean taxpayers are now also paying to house these people.

2) Going to jail for a kid means that they can get a real education in crime.

I have no doubt that a good percentage of kids thrown in jail for a graffiti viiolation will become worse offenders upon their release, only they might move up to more violent and destructive crime.

What I would like to see is high amounts of community service rather than jail time. Something

punitive enough to it almost feels like jail, but also can help the community a little more than locking

these guys away. Maybe 200 hours for a first offense kind of thing. And then let them use their community service time for cleaning up the parks and the graffiti, since the Parks department seems to be short on labor.

i think this is a great plan... most of that community service should be spent cleaning up their own graffiti as well as that of people who have not been caught. gives them the feeling that they have to clean up other people's crap as well. maybe it'll teach them a lesson and help them to get others to stop... either that or they'll learn how to not get caught.

Speaking of Graffiti, is there some kind of log of what the city Graffiti A-Team van has removed thus far? A kind of "Projects to be done," "Projects completed" list? The two or three entries I've put in are still there and I've never heard a peep back from anyone, and it's still easy just to plain drive anywhere in the city and find lots of graffiti.

- Garris

Speaking of Graffiti, is there some kind of log of what the city Graffiti A-Team van has removed thus far? A kind of "Projects to be done," "Projects completed" list? The two or three entries I've put in are still there and I've never heard a peep back from anyone, and it's still easy just to plain drive anywhere in the city and find lots of graffiti.

- Garris

there's a log of what's been reported?

On Friday afternoon I made a mental note to myself about how great it was that nobody had tagged or otherwise spraypainted on the "decorative" fencing around the site of 110. Coincidentally, it was tagged on both the Westminster and Weybosset sides over the weekend.

Yes annoying:

2006-0828-oneten001.jpg

The area around the Westin gets tagged pretty often, but they are keeping on top of cleaning it up.

have you heard about the portugese man of war attacks this summer here in RI?

I think "attack" might be an overstatement. Don't they just float up next to you? Sure, you get paralyzed if they touch you, but...

My cousin thinks he got stung by something good up on the north shore of MA. Wasn't paralyzed, but definitely sounded like a bad jellyfish "attack"

I think "attack" might be an overstatement. Don't they just float up next to you? Sure, you get paralyzed if they touch you, but...

yeah they have no self-propulsion. they rely on those bubbly sacks that float above the water to catch wind and move them. Lol. Channel 10 would have you think they swim up to you and eat your head off however.

My cousin thinks he got stung by something good up on the north shore of MA. Wasn't paralyzed, but definitely sounded like a bad jellyfish "attack"

yeah, i was exaggerating a bit for dramatic effect. :D

they don't even have a way of moving themselves around, they simply go where the current goes (unlike regular jellyfish, which can swim).

Portsmouth's (NH) response to graffiti:

Teen ordered to clean graffiti around the city [Portsmouth Herald]

Nice solution. I, perhaps, would have given much more time cleaning. Make it hurt. It needs to hurt them as much if not more than as it hurts the property owners when they find it. Let's not forget, I include every single Rhode Islander as a property owner when I see Waterplace covered in that sh1t. Same for the Iway. Enough is enough. I have been a strong advocate of severe punishment for this garbage. It's nothing short of complete vandalism. I am well know already by members of the mayor's graffiti task force. :)

Okay, on a hypocritical note here: I absolutely could give the person who painted over that putrid tag with "Impeach" on the Point Street Bridge a big fat kiss. I know it still falls under my definition of punishable acts. But I don't believe the person who did that would have if that other piece of garbage weren't left on there for so long. And I know it makes me a hypocrite on hating graffiti so much when I'm willing to give a pass on this one because I like its political message. :whistling:

Okay, on a hypocritical note here: I absolutely could give the person who painted over that putrid tag with "Impeach" on the Point Street Bridge a big fat kiss. I know it still falls under my definition of punishable acts. But I don't believe the person who did that would have if that other piece of garbage weren't left on there for so long. And I know it makes me a hypocrite on hating graffiti so much when I'm willing to give a pass on this one because I like its political message. :whistling:

I agree with you 100%. Graffiti is still graffiti, but a political statement is infinitely preferable to a stupid, barely legible tag.

Anyone else wonder if the politically sensitive "impeach" graffiti will be removed with a bit more haste than the tag, which was there for how many months? :ph34r:

Archived