Graffiti

Garris

Great idea! Perhaps it will get the City (or is it RIDOT?) to clear the snow off the Broadway overpass instead of allowing it to turn into an icy downhill ski run for pedestrians heading to downtown.

It's the city. The DID guilt tripped the city into sending someone to push a shovel across the Atwells Bridge last time it snowed last season. I'll be interested to see what happens this season.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure of the name, it was some fruit punch looking liquid that you paint on, let sit, then scrub at with a rag. Worked very well. Got about 99% of the graffiti off of metal equipment and signs. I'll have to take a look.

Please do...I would go to town in my neighborhood if I had the ability to clean spraypaint off. What types of surfaces were you using it on?

Please do...I would go to town in my neighborhood if I had the ability to clean spraypaint off. What types of surfaces were you using it on?

Metal playground equipment and a metal sign. It says it can be used on a multitude of surfaces though. On metal, it worked very well.

Metal playground equipment and a metal sign. It says it can be used on a multitude of surfaces though. On metal, it worked very well.

That's awesome. If you can recall what it was or still have the name handy, please share. I'll assume I'm not the only one who would like to know what that stuff is.

Yep, the stuff worked quite well (I was one of the scrubbers). It also worked pretty well on painted wood (some of the playground equipment was wood covered with some sort of marine-like super durable paint). A stiff brush would have speeded it along, though it wasn't bad at all with just a paintbrush and a rag. Going over the same area several times for stubborn tags got most of it off. It didn't really do much on bare wood, however. Though, Basachs, wasn't there another tub of stuff for bare wood?

The nice thing was the label (and can I remember the name? not a chance) claimed this stuff was environmentally benign, safe to handle, etc. It wasn't even particularly stinky (though I'm a chemist by training, so my idea of stinky might differ from yours!).

K.

ps-Basachs, great work organizing the cleanup. The playground looked awesome.

Yep, the stuff worked quite well (I was one of the scrubbers). It also worked pretty well on painted wood (some of the playground equipment was wood covered with some sort of marine-like super durable paint). A stiff brush would have speeded it along, though it wasn't bad at all with just a paintbrush and a rag. Going over the same area several times for stubborn tags got most of it off. It didn't really do much on bare wood, however. Though, Basachs, wasn't there another tub of stuff for bare wood?

The nice thing was the label (and can I remember the name? not a chance) claimed this stuff was environmentally benign, safe to handle, etc. It wasn't even particularly stinky (though I'm a chemist by training, so my idea of stinky might differ from yours!).

K.

ps-Basachs, great work organizing the cleanup. The playground looked awesome.

Thanks! It does look very nice and we had some great people helping us of course!

i think there was some stuff for bare wood, but we mostly painted over ithe wood so I did not look at it closeley. The fact that I dont know the name of the product has been bothering me all day, so i will have to check it.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.browndailyherald.com/media/stor...dailyherald.com

Cicilline announced a new program for cracking down on graffiti and rounding up taggers. Called "Combating Graffiti," it includes increased penalties for taggers and rewards of up to $500 for individuals who turn them in.
The task force includes four new employees, two new vans that prominently display Cicilline's name to patrol the city, a hotline and a Web site. These last two components can be used to report taggers.

Insert cynical remark here...

• 2 months later...

Bump for the incredibly high amount of graffiti on the new I-195 concrete. I don't travel I-195 very often between EP and I-95. Typically if I use I-195 I get on in EP and get off at Gano St. But today with anticipated light traffic in the city, I actually went 95 S to 195 E to go out to Wareham to take care of some business.

Personally, I think this is shameful. The entire side of the thing is tagged. This is nearly the largest construction project in the history of the state, and it is already a billboard for glorified territorial pissing.

That's what 99.9% of the graffiti around here is imo. I seem to remember reading that the 195 concrete surfaces were treated in such a way to allow easy graffiti removal. (Does anyone know if this is correct?) Hopefully, when construction is done, and the "pardon our appearance" phase of the project is over, they'll be proactive in removing it.

Bump for the incredibly high amount of graffiti on the new I-195 concrete. I don't travel I-195 very often between EP and I-95. Typically if I use I-195 I get on in EP and get off at Gano St. But today with anticipated light traffic in the city, I actually went 95 S to 195 E to go out to Wareham to take care of some business.

Personally, I think this is shameful. The entire side of the thing is tagged. This is nearly the largest construction project in the history of the state, and it is already a billboard for glorified territorial pissing.

I've written a letter to the mayor, contacted the College Hill Neighborhood Association, called and sent numerous on-line requests to the Graffiti Task Force to deal with graffiti problems in the area, none of which have ever been addressed. Let's face it--the city doesn't give a damn about the way it looks, the understaffed Police Department is too busy fighting "serious" crime to bother with taggers, and the Graffiti Task Force was nothing more than an election year publicity stunt to get the mayor's name on a couple of yellow vans. Ironically, there are people on UP that feel that we should "celebrate" this graffiti as "urban American art."

I've come to the conclusion that our tagged highways and public areas like Waterplace Park are fitting billboards to advertise the true state of the "Renaissance City." Plenty of cities face budget problems and limited staffing and still find a way to take care of their infrastructure. What's our excuse for caring so little?

The city's lack of caring is shameful and just plain sad. Many of the city workers obviously could care less and should be fired if their job description has ANYTHING to do with graffiti mitigation. They and anyone who supports them is hurting this city and perpetuating the malaise which taints the city's reputation.

Archived