Graffiti

Garris

I hate to be so negative, but if the city workers contracts are the same as the state workers (which they most likely are) there is NO EMPLOYEE REVIEW PROCESS. So, not only is it almost impossible to fire them, their job isn't even officially evaluated and reviewed every year! And since most of them have been employed since well before Providence had its turnaround, they are used to not caring about "little" things like graffiti. But I have to believe that if we keep hounding them about it, things can and will change. What choice do we have :unsure: ?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to be so negative, but if the city workers contracts are the same as the state workers (which they most likely are) there is NO EMPLOYEE REVIEW PROCESS. So, not only is it almost impossible to fire them, their job isn't even officially evaluated and reviewed every year! And since most of them have been employed since well before Providence had its turnaround, they are used to not caring about "little" things like graffiti. But I have to believe that if we keep hounding them about it, things can and will change. What choice do we have :unsure: ?

Who do we hound? The run around that I've gotten from city hall is pathetic. I can't understand how they choose to ignore such a visible problem that affects the perception of the city so negatively. Ultimately, however, unless the Providence PD devotes resources to seriously crack down on graffiti, things will never change.

There's not as defined a line between taggers and 'artists' as one may think. It's not like there are gang taggers over here, then some group of graffiti artists over there. There are plenty of gang members that are doing great art and there are 'artists' at RISD and other places that think tagging is a fun cat and mouse game.

I think a combination of carrots and sticks are needed. A zero tolerance policy with heavy penalties and a system to remove tags ASAP, taggers get fed up when their tags keep disappearing), plus giving kids who have nothing better to do more outlets for their creativity and self expression.

I'm also a big fan of the art wall concept, RISD should certainly have one somewhere, and it would be nice to recognize the artists who aren't defacing private property. Have an annual event Downcity where walls are set up and artists give us their best work.

• 1 month later...

Neighborhood activist, I am not. But I guess becoming a member of the UP community has inspired me to take a more active role in helping to create a better urban environment in Providence.

I have contacted city council member Cliff Wood to express my concerns about the effectiveness of the mayor's graffiti task force. Cliff was very interested in any ideas or suggestions that people might have for addressing the issue of graffiti more effectively. I would love to get some feedback from anyone who might have some insights or prior experience that might be helpful. Any suggestions?

Neighborhood activist, I am not. But I guess becoming a member of the UP community has inspired me to take a more active role in helping to create a better urban environment in Providence.

I have contacted city council member Cliff Wood to express my concerns about the effectiveness of the mayor's graffiti task force. Cliff was very interested in any ideas or suggestions that people might have for addressing the issue of graffiti more effectively. I would love to get some feedback from anyone who might have some insights or prior experience that might be helpful. Any suggestions?

No more excuses about not being able to clean during the winter. Half this winter has seen temps in the 50s and there are products that are effective below freezing. If we allow tags to stay up half the year than there is no deterrent to tagging.

more active policing and faster response times would help. i think it was jerry who said he called the police after seeing someone tagging and followed them and they just didn't give a crap. better punishments, such as a lot of community service, which must involve cleaning the graffiti (not just their own, but others as well), would also help.

My building just recently got tagged. I called the Task Force and they were very responsive. They said they would be out to clean it in 10-14 days, so long as the temperature is above 40 degrees. Not a bad deal... We'll see how it turns out.

more active policing and faster response times would help. i think it was jerry who said he called the police after seeing someone tagging and followed them and they just didn't give a crap. better punishments, such as a lot of community service, which must involve cleaning the graffiti (not just their own, but others as well), would also help.

I keep hearing that the most effective deterrent to graffiti is rapid removal. I think that a 10-14 day turnaround is just not acceptable, especially for public spaces. Does anyone think the city should consider some form of neighborhood volunteer effort (city supplies equipment and volunteers "adopt" an area to maintain)? Some cities have tried this strategy. If it involves private property, the owner is required to sign a waiver to allow graffiti abatement.

Archived