Graffiti

Garris

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone who is responsible for painting over anything graffiti with paint in waterplace. It is getting out of control - It is a horrible approach which is making waterplace look terrible. I'm shocked the public has not been upset by this.

It better just be a temp fix until they can powerwash with warmer temperatures. If not the local government / public works should be ashamed.

• 4 weeks later...

For the 2nd time in a year, I caught kids with spray paint bottles climbing over the highway meridian. This time it was on Rt. 10 and promptly called the police. No one was sent the 1st time and no officer was sent the other day. Pvd doesn't really enforce anything...ever. Drunk drivers, loud music, littering, snow removal in front of properties, parks, speeding....as a matter of fact....I rarely ever see Pvd cops on the beat anywhere. On the contrary, EP police are always on patrol... often on watch at all points of entry into the city. I was stopped 2 weeks ago because of a faulty taillight that I had not known. The immediate perception that I get in and around EP is that there is a much greater sense of community.

Yes, the graffiti thing is really starting to get to me... It's starting to become more visible in neighborhoods of the city that haven't been traditionally as hard hit (Hope Village/Bierne Square, Smith Hill, etc).

I'm very angry at this graffiti taskforce, if it exists. I mean, scrap the feedback forms and just drive around. You'll find plenty of graffiti everywhere to take care of...

This may be the first thing that leads me to call/complain to my city representatives...

EP police are always on patrol... often on watch at all points of entry into the city. I was stopped 2 weeks ago because of a faulty taillight that I had not known.

I rarely ever see Pvd cops on the beat anywhere. On the contrary, EP police are always on patrol... often on watch at all points of entry into the city. I was stopped 2 weeks ago because of a faulty taillight that I had not known.

While it's great that the crime rate for serious crimes like homicide, rape and assault are down in Providence, I think we're losing the battle to deal with "petty" quality of life issues like graffiti, stealing copper downspouts, noise, etc.

Imagine how things would be if PPD dedicated the same resources and focus on those issues as they've done successfully with more serious crimes.

Garris

Yes - you should read the book 'The Tipping Point'. It goes into great detail how the crime tide was turned in NYC. Things like immediately pulling a subway car off and whitewashing as soon as graffiti was discovered, things like placing security at all turnstiles/fare stations to no fare jumpers got away. Interesting stuff.

Correct. But chasing the tail is not the answer. Complain about the gross lack of patrol, response, and enforcement by PPD - no excuse for lack of protection of public property.

I now own properyy in PVD and I intend to complain.

If anyone is willing to help me get the ball rolling on an effective graffiti initiative for Providence or has any constructive suggestions for addressing this issue, please let me know. These are our neighborhoods. Residents pay a hell of a lot in taxes to live here. It's time that we refuse to let juveniles (primarily) hold our neighborhoods hostage and diminsh our property values and the quality of life in our communities.

Count me in. I'll PM you with my contact info.

The problem seems to be the worst that it's ever been - with tags and stickers on everything from traffic signs to retaining walls to buildings. Perhaps a coordinated effort on our part will help focus attention and come up with a plan of action.

I don't mind the stickers or even the occasional bit of graffiti. It's just part of the urban fabric. What I hate are the huge egomanical tags like Seaz or whatever or JM. Someone needs to tell these guys that their tags are just dull and don't show any artistry whatsoever. I also can't stand the infestation that you see on all the new highway construction.

Cicilline has totally dropped the ball on this one. The graffiti task force seems to be just for show and staffed by patronage. Parents at Martin Luther King have had to call again and again to get someone to remove the tags from the building. City bureaucracy at its worst.

Has anyone reported using the online form?

:rolleyes: I just made a report on the giant tag I photographed in Waterplace. I went back to get the link to the form for this post... 404 not found. WTF!? :rolleyes:

The form has no place to add comments. It asks for a street address and cross street. What is the street address for under the Exchange Street Bridge? 123 Woonasquatucket River? So I didn't list an address, just at the interesction of Memorial and Exhange. Then it asks what type of surface is tagged, it doesn't offer tile wall as an option, so I listed 'wall-unknown surface,' event though I know the surface. I could have answered all these things if their were just a box for me to provide more information (like a link to the photo above). Useless. :rolleyes:

Here's the link:

http://www.providenceri.com/graffiti/

It's not 404 but the CSS is still not rendering properly, the form wouldn't take my phone number, I tried to type it in the box and it was feeding back gibberish to me.

Archived