Graffiti

Garris

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone reported using the online form?

:rolleyes: I just made a report on the giant tag I photographed in Waterplace. I went back to get the link to the form for this post... 404 not found. WTF!? :rolleyes:

The form has no place to add comments. It asks for a street address and cross street. What is the street address for under the Exchange Street Bridge? 123 Woonasquatucket River? So I didn't list an address, just at the interesction of Memorial and Exhange. Then it asks what type of surface is tagged, it doesn't offer tile wall as an option, so I listed 'wall-unknown surface,' event though I know the surface. I could have answered all these things if their were just a box for me to provide more information (like a link to the photo above). Useless. :rolleyes:

Here's the link:

http://www.providenceri.com/graffiti/

It's not 404 but the CSS is still not rendering properly, the form wouldn't take my phone number, I tried to type it in the box and it was feeding back gibberish to me.

These are all terrific solutions but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves.

First, we need to define the problem by talking directly to the people who are supposed to be addressing the graffiti problem. Once we have a sense of what's working and what's not, then we can offer solutions - websites, improving the online form, and, my personal favorite, tagging the Statehouse and City Hall! :P

As much as I'd like to continue talking about it on UP, I realize it won't get us very far in solving the problem. In order to be effective, we need a coordinated effort. inProv has offered to get the ball rolling and I'm willing to help. Who else wants to work on this? If you're interested, PM me and I'll pass it on to inProv so we can schedule a date and get started.

Has anyone reported using the online form?

:rolleyes: I just made a report on the giant tag I photographed in Waterplace. I went back to get the link to the form for this post... 404 not found. WTF!? :rolleyes:

The form has no place to add comments. It asks for a street address and cross street. What is the street address for under the Exchange Street Bridge? 123 Woonasquatucket River? So I didn't list an address, just at the interesction of Memorial and Exhange. Then it asks what type of surface is tagged, it doesn't offer tile wall as an option, so I listed 'wall-unknown surface,' event though I know the surface. I could have answered all these things if their were just a box for me to provide more information (like a link to the photo above). Useless. :rolleyes:

Here's the link:

http://www.providenceri.com/graffiti/

It's not 404 but the CSS is still not rendering properly, the form wouldn't take my phone number, I tried to type it in the box and it was feeding back gibberish to me.

• The city wants to stiffen its code, requiring property owners or tenants to paint over graffiti within 48 hours after notice. Violators could be fined $100 for each day the graffiti remains. They also could face criminal penalties of up to $5,000 in fines or up to one year in jail. The city could clean up the graffiti if the owner refuses, said city attorney Pat Richardson.

• It’s adding a third code-compliance officer and a parks maintenance employee to help handle graffiti. More police officers also will be looking for taggers.

• It is planning “Operation Cover-up” on April 21 for volunteers to clean up graffiti throughout the city.

Hey! I just had a thought! Yeah, I know, what an event! :whistling: Has anyone come up with an idea to create a space where taggers could express themselves in a contained area? Let's legalize this, so to speak. In other words, let's have some land or space/area put aside where we'll allow "artists" to express themselves. Let them be heard, but only in this space. Could it be done?

Hey! I just had a thought! Yeah, I know, what an event! :whistling: Has anyone come up with an idea to create a space where taggers could express themselves in a contained area? Let's legalize this, so to speak. In other words, let's have some land or space/area put aside where we'll allow "artists" to express themselves. Let them be heard, but only in this space. Could it be done?

There's something like that in East Greenwich. Here's the Bird's Eye view. The white walls in the center are a path that goes under the train tracks and they're covered in "graffiti." Of course it's, it's EG, so it's pretty tame ("Democrats are icky!", "My portfolio kicks your portfolio's butt!"). Here's a pic.

Tough to tell whether it "works" or not.

Archived