North Carolina Malls

DigitalSky

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Man, you are thorough. That's just about every department store anchored mall in the state!

These are the ones I've been to personally. I added comments too. The ones in red are worth the trip if you're out of town:

Burlington Outlet Center - for bargains.

Colonial Mall Burlington (Holly Hill) - small but pleasant.

Carolina Mall - great mom and pop sneaker store there.

Concord Mills - mass, mass, mass.

Northgate Mall - unique tenant mix.

South Square Mall - SuperTarget rocks!

Streets at Southpoint - fun.

Hanes Mall - frickin' huge.

Carolina Circle Mall - the most '70s mall ever.

Friendly Center - a mall for people who hate malls.

Four Seasons Town Center - very well done.

Oak Hollow Mall - derivative but okay.

Carolina Place Mall - very pretty.

Eastland Mall - great potential.

SouthPark - what can I say that I haven't already said.

University Mall - the hipster mall.

Eden Mall - the 'small' :D

Colonial Mayberry Mall - suprisingly decent.

Cary Towne Center (Cary Village Mall) - a little blah, but decent.

Crabtree Valley Mall - :)

North Hills Mall - an up-and-comer.

Triangle Town Center - mmmm, Saks!

• 5 months later...

I went to Gaston Mall and found it odd; the Harris Teeter, Media Play and Hollywood Video seemed modern and the parking lot was full, but the interior mall is in a 1970s time warp, with only mom & pop stores and no national chains. What's the story of Gaston Mall? Why isn't the interior more modern? I'd think that a developer would just get rid of the interior shops and would replace them with a big-box retailer.

Man, you are thorough.  That's just about every department store anchored mall in the state!

These are the ones I've been to personally.  I added comments too.  The ones in red are worth the trip if you're out of town:

Burlington Outlet Center - for bargains.

Colonial Mall Burlington (Holly Hill) - small but pleasant.

Carolina Mall - great mom and pop sneaker store there.

Concord Mills - mass, mass, mass.

Northgate Mall - unique tenant mix.

South Square Mall - SuperTarget rocks!

Streets at Southpoint - fun.

Hanes Mall - frickin' huge.

Carolina Circle Mall - the most '70s mall ever.

Friendly Center - a mall for people who hate malls.

Four Seasons Town Center - very well done.

Oak Hollow Mall - derivative but okay.

Carolina Place Mall - very pretty.

Eastland Mall - great potential.

SouthPark - what can I say that I haven't already said.

University Mall - the hipster mall.

Eden Mall - the 'small'  :D

Colonial Mayberry Mall - suprisingly decent.

Cary Towne Center (Cary Village Mall) - a little blah, but decent.

Crabtree Valley Mall:)

North Hills Mall - an up-and-comer.

Triangle Town Center - mmmm, Saks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eastland Mall - potential for what? only if they knock it down. It would be great if there was a Super Wal Mart and some big box stores there instead. But, I don't think anyone would say that mall has great potential.

Eastland Mall - potential for what?  only if they knock it down.  It would be great if there was a Super Wal Mart and some big box stores there instead.  But, I don't think anyone would say that mall has great potential.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would one knock down a popular, well-trafficced mall, pray tell? :huh:

I guess it's just a coincidence that the Harris Teeter at Eastland Mall has the HIGHEST loss due to shoplifting companywide. The Eastland Mall is always busy because it is a crime haven. I understand that most people that go there are not like that, but then again you can't deny that they have an extremely high theivery rate as compared to other malls. It has potential for something new, but I never hear anyone saying, "Hey let's drive out to the Eastland Mall tonight." (Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I am not a supporter of South Park either.) I like a decent blue collar mall. South Park does not fit my criteria, but neither does Eastland.

Haha... If Eastland was knocked down... I can see the topics in this forum now... "Riff raff at Southpark Mall" or "Riff Raff at "place name of any other charlotte mall here"... If you don't like the diversity, don't shop there... and don't automatically assume something should be torn down bc it is predominantly not white.

but I never hear anyone saying, "Hey let's drive out to the Eastland Mall tonight."  (Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I am not a supporter of South Park either.)  I like a decent blue collar mall.  South Park does not fit my criteria, but neither does Eastland.

you never hear anyone say that b/c of the company you keep. I never hear anyone say "hey lets go to the toby keith concert" but that is bc i don't hang out with country fans. I'm sure there are thousands that attend though. your experience is biased, and therefore discredits it as a gage for the demand of an urban retail environment.

you never hear anyone say that b/c of the company you keep. I never hear anyone say "hey lets go to the toby keith concert" but that is bc i don't hang out with country fans. I'm sure there are thousands that attend though. your experience is biased, and therefore discredits it as a gage for the demand of an urban retail environment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, now I am a racist because I don't go to Eastland mall. I figured that's what the response would be. I come here to talk about malls, and which are good or bad (in general) and all I get in response is people telling me I should have understanding and compassion for everyone who commits crime. When did I ever say crime isn't prevalent at other malls??? All I said was it was the worst at that one. Boy, when it comes to issues such as malls, everyone turns it into a racial thing. Did I ever mention color or race in any of my posts? No, You guys brought that into the discussion. You must all be in favor of forced busing as well judging from your response. I shouldn't be labeled as a misguided racist just because I don't hangout daily at Eastland. You get too worked up over discussions about malls.

Ok, now I am a racist because I don't go to Eastland mall.  I figured that's what the response would be.  I come here to talk about malls, and which are good or bad (in general)  and all I get in response is people telling me I should have understanding and compassion for everyone who commits crime.  When did I ever say crime isn't prevalent at other malls???  All I said was it was the worst at that one.  Boy, when it comes to issues such as malls, everyone turns it into a racial thing.  Did I ever mention color or race in any of my posts?  No,  You guys brought that into the discussion.  You must all be in favor of forced busing as well judging from your response.  I shouldn't be labeled as a misguided racist just because I don't hangout daily at Eastland.  You get too worked up over discussions about malls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He only said you don't hang out with people who shop at Eastland Mall.

...but then again you can't deny that they have an extremely high theivery rate as compared to other malls. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This would be a good opportunity for you to provide your statistics and their sources. I'd be interested in seeing that comparison.

This would be a good opportunity for you to provide your statistics and their sources. I'd be interested in seeing that comparison.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it would, I probably should do that. Although, I'm sure it's true. So if anyone else wants to get the statistics I'll be happy to see them. I really don't have to prove that point. If someone wants to show me statistics that say there is more theft (percentagewise) at any other mall in Charlotte, then please do. I don't think you will find it though.

So, is the Biltmore Mall in Asheville here to stay?  The Asheville Mall has grown by leaps and bounds while the Biltmore Mall has stayed the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Biltmore Square is probably toast as an enclosed mall, IMO. Asheville Mall is out to dominate the market, and there's not enough market there to spur on a successful campaign for Biltmore too.

Archived