North Carolina Malls

DigitalSky

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do all you mall nuts (kidding, I'm here too) thing Northlake is the last of the traditional malls to be built in NC? They really are a dying breed in my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I beleive it will be one of the last few. With all these "lifestyle centers" going up in Winston, Mint Hill, Wilmington, and probably a few other towns there really is no need for our tradtional enclosed malls. Sure some of the lifestyle centers have some enclosed parts but the majority of space is outside. People (and myself) like being outside and shopping, but what I can't understand is if they like shopping so much outside why not shop in your local downtown?

Yes I beleive it will be one of the last few. With all these "lifestyle centers" going up in Winston, Mint Hill, Wilmington, and probably a few other towns there really is no need for our tradtional enclosed malls. Sure some of the lifestyle centers have some enclosed parts but the majority of space is outside. People (and myself) like being outside and shopping, but what I can't understand is if they like shopping so much outside why not shop in your local downtown?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

because none of our downtowns have the quantity and type of stores you find in a traditional shopping center or mall. Maybe Charlotte will have something like that in the (near) future.

I don't think it's the end of traditional malls, though. Those outdoor shopping centers are just in fashion right now.

Personally I don't mind shopping at an outdoor shopping center if it's spring or fall.....at that point I'm loving it. But if it's 100 degrees with high humidity or 20 degrees with alot of wind I'd pick an indoor mall any day....

For convenience stuff I shop at an outdoor shopping center aka strip shopping center. If I'm doing gift shopping I tend to hit up the malls, depending on how much I want to spend. Plus it's so much more convenient to hang out with friends or family to pass the time at an indoor mall when compared to say, Crossroads in Cary which is so big and spread out that you have to keep moving your car to go to the stores u want....

• 3 months later...

There has always been talk of "modernizing" Gaston Mall, but nothing gets off the ground. Just look at how long the mall's owners took installing new parking lot lights, there for awhile the parking lot had half new lights and half old ones.

Really though, Gaston Mall is doing pretty well for a mall its age. Most of the current anchor tenants have been at the mall for quite some time now.

just wondering if anyone knows, how long has HT been at Gaston Mall?

And the Media Play? I'd be surprised if anchors came to that mall recently, given its pretty dated interior an class-C in-line stores. But the Media Play and HT look somewhat new.

That mall must be a pretty good profit center for its owners. Has it ever been updated, at least in the inside? It seemed to have a very low vacancy rate, despite its '70s-era appearance.

My guess is at least 25 years and maybe more like 30. That HT is of one of the older designs they used to put out. One of the few that remain. It reminds me of the original HT at Eastland.

The mall took a major hit when Eastridge Mall opened down the street in the late 70s.

Archived