Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marcelo

This one is jaw-dropping!

29 posts in this topic

Sao Paulo from plane while landing at Congonhas airport:

saopaulo%20asa.jpg:thumbsup: B)

Yes, Sao paulo is amazing. It seems that the whole city is downtown. There is no surburb there and everything in the city it seems are condos. That density is unheard of.

Yes, Sao paulo is amazing. It seems that the whole city is downtown. There is no surburb there and everything in the city it seems are condos. That density is unheard of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, actually, every district has it's own little centre. It's because of the extension of the city with 2,450 km

Nossa! That's really nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nossa? R u Brazilian? ;) B)

I went there when I was eleven and it looked the exact same as in that picture. Now it seems that it has more condos and office tower. Thanks for the information.

Amazing! I can never get over the sheer density and magnitude of Sao Paulo.

You can't deny the density there. But it lacks the uniqueness of cities with well defined centers. It all looks like an endless field of the same building. Sim City gone awry, if you will.

So that's what Sao Paulo looks like!

I flew into SP at night both times during my trip to Buenos Aires in September. All the lights were beautiful, though. It looked like a city of gold.

Cool pic. I wonder what it looks like at street level. It definately looks like a good place to explore.

I went to Sao Paulo three times for business in the 90's. Each time I went they put me up in a hotel that was 45 minutes away. I had to take a taxi every day (both ways!) and the drive was less-then exhilarating. Endless city blocks of the same old thing. However, Sao Paulo was one of the nicest cities I ever visited in South America (Santiago, Chile ranks first on my list) and there is so much to do there in the evenings. Let's avoid altogether the subject of the amazing food they serve down there too!!!!

Interesting fact: Sao Paulo holds the largest population of Japanese anywhere in the world outside of Japan. Not sure why......

- BR

I went to Sao Paulo three times for business in the 90's.  Each time I went they put me up in a hotel that was 45 minutes away.  I had to take a taxi every day (both ways!) and the drive was less-then exhilarating.  Endless city blocks of the same old thing.  However, Sao Paulo was one of the nicest cities I ever visited in South America (Santiago, Chile ranks first on my list) and there is so much to do there in the evenings.  Let's avoid altogether the subject of the amazing food they serve down there too!!!!

Interesting fact:  Sao Paulo holds the largest population of Japanese anywhere in the world outside of Japan.  Not sure why......

- BR

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mc Donald's in Liberdade neighborhood:

dsc036101rz.jpg B)

Sao Paulo has an extensive rail transit system which would be required to support a city such as this.  One of the interesting things I discovered is that in terms of number of passengers served/route mile, it is the second busiest in the world.  (not sure who number one is, probably Tokyo)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is true. The number one is Tokyo. The Metro is too short, much too short, but it is being extended. The suburban train system has some 300 km of extent and will be integrated into the metro system, by 2015 it will be have 475 km of extent. Dunno where it will rank then... ??? ;)

Hehe,  Tokyo is going to be hard for any city to beat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that one is in many things just unbeatable. But Sao Paulo with 48,000 buildings over 12 stories beats Tokyo by far. At least in ONE thing, he he he... ;)

That is psycho! It must be like a jungle with all of the skyscrapers. That is an insane amount. How do you find your way around the city?

Yes, that one is in many things just unbeatable. But Sao Paulo with 48,000 buildings over 12 stories beats Tokyo by far. At least in ONE thing, he he he...  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not so sure. Tokyo has 35 million in its metro which is densely packed with buildings from the sea to the horizon and as far as you can see north & south.