Put Firefox in Overdrive

monsoon

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use firefox, do any members of the older crowd know the difference between firefox and suite(first ive heard of)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The suite is the mozilla browser but it is also bundled with their email cleint, irc client,etc. Basically, if you want to use all the mozilla programs you can download and install this to do it all at once.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

There's no harm in changing it.

I just made the modifications... Greatest thing next to increasing the MRU. There's nothing to worry about. All you're doing is increasing the amount of data that you can receive at one time. At 4, with broadband you're not using your maximum available bandwidth and all that remaining bandwidth gets unused.. What a waste.

If you want, do a before and after speed test on DSLReports:

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

And, worst case scenario, you can always put it back to the original settings, but I doubt you will have to.

Speaking of speedtest, this is a cool extension for firfox that test your bandwidth:

My WebpageBandwidth Tester - Firefox Extension

However, I get very different results from it and I believe it off by about 1Mbps (showing me slower), but the test is much faster than those at dslreports. And perhaps the server it is using (which you can change) could just be overloaded right now???

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, I just changed the number of requests the browser can make at once 150...it really runs fast now.  I'm just glad I'm back on the university network...the cable modem at home is so slow compared to this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More is not better in this case. That will slow your browser down. I'd say that 30 should be the max.

Archived