South Florida mass transit

Aessotariq

Segment II of the South Dade Busway extension is complete, extending the corridor an additional 5 miles from its former Cutler Ridge terminus to Naranja, a midpoint between Cutler Ridge and Homestead. Bus station designs were heavily influenced by public involvement. An appropriate touch: the Naranja station (pronounced nuh-RAN-jah) will be orange in color.

The Herald notes that many of the Busway riders are voluntary transit users with access to automobiles. The final 6 1/2 mile segment to Florida City is expected to be completed by 2007.

More info can be found here: Miami Herald

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great map, Brickell...

I agree that Met would make a great area for a stop... right now the closest stops are Knight Center (Bank of America Tower) and Bayfront Park stations. Met Station (or even Dupont Plaza Station) sounds like a great name for one.

To get to the Met complex from Knight Center isn't easy, since you'd either half to cross a busy street and take your chances with the I-95 entrance or walk around an extra block to the north, to a safer street.

Regional transit plan builds on current projects

By Chuck McGinness

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Tri-Rail riders know what has to be done to make their morning commute more pleasant.

On-time trains, better shuttle bus connections and more frequent service are at the top of their list.

The long-awaited improvements will come early next year when a $334 million project to build the final sections of a second track is completed on the 72-mile South Florida rail corridor, allowing trains to run every 20 minutes during rush-hour...

Full article: Palm Beach Post

I'd like to see a full loop around Brickell, along Brickell Bay Drive, rather than just an abrupt end at Financial District Station. Then there would be extra convenient access for Espirito Santo, Emerald, Jade, Solaris, 1390, Brickell Bay Plaza, Mellon, etc.

Future expansion north will involve streetcars, which will run along NE 2nd Avenue (west of Biscayne).

streetcarfeasibility1of31wt.th.jpgstreetcarfeasibility2of34jh.th.jpgstreetcarfeasibility3of31bn.th.jpg

I'd like to see a full loop around Brickell, along Brickell Bay Drive, rather than just an abrupt end at Financial District Station. Then there would be extra convenient access for Espirito Santo, Emerald, Jade, Solaris, 1390, Brickell Bay Plaza, Mellon, etc.

Future expansion north will involve streetcars, which will run along NE 2nd Avenue (west of Biscayne).

streetcarfeasibility1of31wt.th.jpgstreetcarfeasibility2of34jh.th.jpgstreetcarfeasibility3of31bn.th.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about metromover extending to the port of miami??? It is frequently advertised that the metrorail will cover from MIA to the Port. I seriously doubt the metroRAIL will take travelers to the port but extending the metromover seems like a faster solution.

The Metromover thing wouldn't be a bad idea. The transfer station is already there (Government Center), after all. I think it also would have been suitable for the Beach, save the complexities of installing the guideways on the island.

A direct Airport-Seaport connector via the MIC would do wonders. That's the third segment of the east-west line (Segment 1 is FIU-MIC, Segment 2 is MIC-Govt Center). Segment 3 from Government Center to the Port is the piece that might be subway through downtown.

I like to think of it more simply as an underground segment. Subway is too loaded of a word for me.

Here's an interesting idea, but one that I'm not sure will really make much of a difference.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11480532.htm

Two weeks ago, we told you Miami-Dade Transit was looking to the Florida Legislature for permission to drive buses on the shoulders during peak congestion hours in an attempt to boost ridership.

Well, the legislation is dead, but the idea is steaming ahead.

The Florida Department of Transportation is going to develop a pilot project to allow the transit agency to use the breakdown lanes for express routes...

[Also from the same article]

...UM students are demanding the immediate construction of a pedestrian bridge over the intersection, the scene of five other pedestrian accidents in the past 15 years, including another fatality two years ago.

County officials are trying to fast-track the pedestrian bridge near the University Metrorail stop in the wake of the latest fatality.

Miami-Dade County has $10 million in sales-tax proceeds budgeted to build four bridges over South Dixie; the others are at South Miami, Dadeland North and Dadeland South stations.

Even on a fast track it will take nearly three years to build it....

I've said we've needed these for as long as I can remember, especially around UM and at each Metrorail station. Unfortunately, a lot of times it takes a tragedy to underscore the need for them (including this time). Otherwise the norm for new traffic signals, bridges, etc., is to sit and wait while a traffic study is conducted, and these usually take a very long time. Wish it didn't have to be that way.

I used to love crossing Ponce and US 1 from my apt at UM. It just feels so dirty. Running across Ponce, then under the metrorail. Then, peeling up the fence to cross under that. Then waiting 5 minutes for traffic to thin out enough to sprint to the median, and doing the same thing on the other side... oh yeah...

I remember how hectic it was, trying to get to the UM Convocation Center from the Metrorail. There's not even good sidewalks near therem which is bad, considering transit stations usually attract pedestrians, but the peds have nowhere to walk.

Getting from campus to the station is extremely easy. For pedestrians there is a convienient pedestrian crosswalk. To get to most other parts of campus, the Hurry-Cane shuttle bus serves the metrorail station very regularly, and is an excellent tool for getting around campus, and the nearby area.

Broward voters could decide on sales tax hike for transit system

By Buddy Nevins

Political Writer

Posted April 27 2005

Voters likely will be asked next year to raise the sales tax to pay for a futuristic transit system linking west Broward with downtown Fort Lauderdale and the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

Broward County commissioners on Tuesday took the first steps toward scheduling a referendum in November 2006 to approve increasing the sales tax to seven cents from six cents per dollar in Broward.

More here: Sun-Sentinel (for a limited time)

Some highlights:

• Interconnection with Dade's existing transit network and Palm Beach's future network.

• 21-mile corridor from Sawgrass Mills to downtown Fort Lauderdale.

One of several possible alignments:

i595sr7browardblvd1ie.th.jpg

Archived