Ugly high-rises

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really? Do we agree it looks like trash all the rest of the time?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, I have definately seen worse. There is this pic i saw on another site that has the Modis all lit up at night with a bridge in front of it that was bathed in blue lights. The contrast made for a really awesome picture. I'll have to find it so i can post it here.

the ugliest tower I have ever seen is the Modis tower in Jacksonville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im gonna have to agree as well...

But what is the name of the building in dwntn Miami just a block north of the Wachovia Center.

Its the one with that ugly radio tower on the top of it.. I guess they have added lights to it at night to make it more appealing, but thats one ugly bulding.

As much grief as I might get for saying this, I think Phillip Johnson's AT&T building (now Sony) in Manhattan is perhaps one of the most hideous things ever constructed. I like most all of his other skyscrapers, but the whole chippendale thing is just too over the top (no pun intended).

T054841A.jpg

Of course, as a modernist at heart, it saddens me that so many International Style skyscrapers are so inherently bad. My name, Miesian Corners, pays homage to that fact. Van der Rohe's Seagram Building on Park Ave is not his best work, yet everyone goes ape shi*t over it. Across the street, Lever House sits with all its elegance, overshadowed by the montrous proportions of Seagram.

• 3 months later...

Wait, I was wrong.  AT&T is not the ugliest skyscraper in the world, this one is...

taipei101-10.jpg

101 Taipei, the tallest building in the world, gets my vote for the ugliest ever constructed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think this being is ugly. It pays homage to the culture of where it is located. In ancient chinese, the number 8 has great meaning. This building incorporates the number 8 into its design. There are also other design cues there for historical purposes. Bamboo has alot of meaning as well.

I do think however that the height does not flatter the design. It was made tallest simply for the idea of being the tallest. Such a waste where ego can tarnish ancient culture. <_<

Archived