Ugly high-rises

I recall elaborate plans to reclad the Pru in shiny new clothing with a spire on top, but these were a few years back. Is that godawful restaurant still at the top? Great view, but the food was straight out of the freezer. The building could use some perking up.

Yes, they still have "The Top of the Hub" restaurant up there. I take guests there AFTER dinner for drinks. The reason is because, instead of paying $7 to go to the skydeck, why not to to the restaurant for free, spend the $7 on a drink, and get more bang of the buck?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take back my previous post. I forgot the most obvious candidate. Hands down:

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=274712

39 stories of gray concrete and faded "colorful" panels. A huge complex of buildings that, thankfully, was never fully realized back in the 1970's. The original master plan included dozens of structures similar to this one and thousands of apartment units. It looks particularly atrocious after a rainstorm, when the concrete is streaked with dark grays.

Sad, because I know the architect. He's really a nice guy!

No contest. That building is grotesque.

But a couple of my (dis)favorites include One Financial Plaza in Hartford and the Federal Reserve Bank Bldg in Boston. Here's One Financial:

unitedtechnologies.jpg

Not the greatest picture, but you get the point. It's big, it's golden, and it's ugly. And here's the Federal Reserve Bldg:

kveus121b.jpg

300px-Federal_Reserve_Bank_Building.jpg

It looks like a giant washboard, doesn't it?

Even after seeing all of the buildings posted from other states on this thread, my vote still goes to Genesee Towers (Emporis) which was already discussed on the first page of this thread.

The pictures don't seem to do the building much justice as I didn't realize its full ugliness until I saw it in person (and noticed the first seven floors are a parking eamp with black luvered openings instead of windows.)

Even after seeing all of the buildings posted from other states on this thread, my vote still goes to Genesee Towers which was already discussed on the first page of this thread.

The pictures don't seem to do the building much justice as I didn't realize its full ugliness until I saw it in person (and noticed the first seven floors are a parking eamp with black luvered openings instead of windows.)

I agree andrew and dtown. That thing is horrendous, and even more so in person! :sick:

I take back my previous post. I forgot the most obvious candidate. Hands down:

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=274712

39 stories of gray concrete and faded "colorful" panels. A huge complex of buildings that, thankfully, was never fully realized back in the 1970's. The original master plan included dozens of structures similar to this one and thousands of apartment units. It looks particularly atrocious after a rainstorm, when the concrete is streaked with dark grays.

Sad, because I know the architect. He's really a nice guy!

I knew someone would add one or all of the Cedar-Riverside buildings to the mix. I actually like them for the simple fact that they add to the urban character of the area.

I think Centre Village is the ugliest high-rise in Minneapolis.

I knew someone would add one or all of the Cedar-Riverside buildings to the mix. I actually like them for the simple fact that they add to the urban character of the area.

I think Centre Village is the ugliest high-rise in Minneapolis.

WOW! That honestly is the UGLIEST building I have ever seen in my entire life....

You "like," as in you enjoy the building as a piece of architecture? Or you "like," as in you consider it to be a serious contender for the enviable title of ugliest high-rise?

Sorry. But I could read that statement either way, so for the sake of clarity, if you don't mind ...

You "like," as in you enjoy the building as a piece of architecture? Or you "like," as in you consider it to be a serious contender for the enviable title of ugliest high-rise?

Sorry. But I could read that statement either way, so for the sake of clarity, if you don't mind ...

I actually like the Fed Reserve building as well. I think one can view it as ugly if they want to, but I see it as truly unique. The pictures don't really do it justice. I hate the way it interacts at ground level however - from a pedestrian-friendly standpoint it fails, but I think the tower itself is quite striking and beautiful, even if it is the brunt of many jokes...

I like it as in I think it is an interesting and iconic building, and far from Boston's ugliest.

I actually like the Fed Reserve building as well. I think one can view it as ugly if they want to, but I see it as truly unique. The pictures don't really do it justice. I hate the way it interacts at ground level however - from a pedestrian-friendly standpoint it fails, but I think the tower itself is quite striking and beautiful, even if it is the brunt of many jokes...

Exactly, I think it's place on the skyline as seen from the harbor defines Boston. It is far more interesting than most buildings in Boston without being too weird. It's relation to the street is poor, part of that is because it's a Federal Building and needs a security buffer. I think as the surface artery is completed, it will re-integrate better into the city. It's been over a decade since it wasn't surrounded by the Big Dig.

Little Rock has some to offer:

Bank of America Building: I loathe this design.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=122473

I wish I could find uncopyrighted pictures.....

Sometime I look at this building and I just don't like it. But it is not the worst in Little Rock. I think the following could be in the running: Arkansas Highway Dept. Building on I-30, Blue Cross Blue Shield and #1 would have to be the AT&T Building.

Bank of America Building. It is the white building in the middle.

20051109image00170li.jpg

Not the greatest picture, but you get the point. It's big, it's golden, and it's ugly. And here's the Federal Reserve Bldg:

kveus121b.jpg

It looks like a giant washboard, doesn't it?

Looks curiously like the Knights of Columbus Headquarters in New Haven, CT

C0752-047~.jpg

Hmmmmmmmm, the Federal Reserve and the Knights of Columbus.... a potentially dangerous conspirative relationship! :unsure:

So which building(s) did you mean when you said this?

and far from Boston's ugliest.

Boston has a couple uglier, IMO. I don't like One Boston Place, but at least it has a conventional shape, which allows me to ignore it. The First National BOB Bldg is a lovely example of hideousness:

pregnantbuilding.jpg

Archived