West Jacksonville Thread

bobliocatt

There's another condo complex in the works, for the Riverside/Ortega area.

Jacksonville Planning and Development Department review for Riverhomes at Ortega Landing, a 74-unit condominium complex with 205-slip marina, 4228 Lakeside Drive between Herschel and Euclid streets on the Ortega River, on 4 acres, five stories totaling 198,195 square feet; agent is Joseph P. Mecca; engineer is Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc.; developer is MLG Capital/Ortega LLC, Brookfield, Wis.; to redevelop existing boatyard, plan includes three retail buildings and marina clubhouse. (No. 6423.1 )

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._18675508.shtml

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This developement is actually pretty far from the Villa Riva condomininiums. It is in avondale, closer to the ortega side. It is great news none the less. If google maps is correct, it should be right next to an older condo tower on the ortega river. 74 new units is a pretty significant addition to that area. Ortega is currently undergoing a transformation. Many of the roads are being repaired, and three parks have been completely re-done. I'd love to share some pictures of the parks; they are some of my favorite places in town. Since I'm out of school I'll make it my goal to post some pics.

Who knows, but my school (Bartram Trail High) is doing a fundraiser for his friend townsend. Our unity club is selling those rubberband bracelets like the livestrong ones with BTHS printed on them. They look just like the livestrong ones just in our school colors. I just thought it was cool that our school was doing a fundraiser for someone who goes to another school in another county.

• 4 weeks later...

St. Vincent's also expanding its outpatient services area

Hospital's renovation will add about 45 jobs

75786_300.jpg

By URVAKSH KARKARIA, The Times-Union

Even as the hard hats scurry to put up the walls of the $20 million Cancer Center at St. Vincent's Medical Center, hospital administrators are mapping the blueprint for yet another expansion.

St. Vincent's plans to spend up to $30 million to expand and renovate its outpatient services area -- a move that will add about 45 jobs and increase capacity by up to 30 percent, Warren Chandler, senior vice president for strategic planning and business development, said Tuesday.

In an effort to improve efficiency and reduce patient wait times, the renovation will include a centralized patient check-in area, wider waiting areas and improve access between the first and second floors.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._18880401.shtml

Who knows, but my school (Bartram Trail High) is doing a fundraiser for his friend townsend.  Our unity club is selling those rubberband bracelets like the livestrong ones with BTHS printed on them.  They look just like the livestrong ones just in our school colors. I just thought it was cool that our school was doing a fundraiser for someone who goes to another school in another county.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Fruit Cove. Thanks for letting me know about the fundraiser and sorry I wasn't here for a month. Graduation and AP exams were really distracting. Thanks for your concern though. By the way, are the profits going to the Trust Fund? I will see him tonight so I will tell him about it.

Im not sure where the funds were going. Im not actually in the club UNITY which was responsible for the fundraiser. so the details were vague. But with the school year over im sure this fundraiser has come to a close. All our principal said was buy your BTHS bracelets to benefit the Townsend fund. So if there are multitudes of funds which one it was, i am not sure of.

The band was done by reminderband.com

Here is what it looks like....

DSC02375.jpg

That is really neat. I am happy that other schools have been involved with this as it really is amazing what he has accomplished. Graduating from high school has just been one of his accomplishments. I am sure that the funds were sent to the Townsend Trust because that really is the only place where he can receive the money to pay for all of the medical bills etc.

• 4 weeks later...

The densification of Five Points continues:

Conditional concurrency review at Oak Street Lofts for eight condominiums and 1,900 square-foot ground-floor retail space, 1534 Oak St. between Margaret and Lomax streets next to Mossfire Grill, on 0.12 acre, $2 million; agent is Doug Skiles; owner is 1534 Oak Street LLC, Palm Valley; engineer is Skiles Engineering, St. Augustine. (No. 7034.1)

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19077411.shtml

Currently, there's a small 3,590sf two story block building occupying the site.

This project would have to be new construction and at least three or four stories, given the weird triangular layout of the site, which sits between Mossfire Grill and 1661 Riverside.

Along with 1661 Riverside, it will complete the connection of Memorial Park and Riverside Park with a straight line of street level shops, restaurants and bars along Park and Margaret Streets.

I went yestrday for computer repair in Riverside area,got lost looking to find street...but I was actually having fun driving around and seeing all new things going up.I like plaza across 1661 Riverside...very pedestrian friendly but I wonder what is that appartment complex on other side,its like 2-3 story, is that rental or condo place,I think its called St Johns or something.

One thing they could do to improve area to orginize streets better,make one-way streets as two way ,as it will increase traffic and movement in area,might bring more people if it is less confusing to drive around.

Bostech: 1661 will be condos with some ground floor retail. The building across Riverside Ave from Publix as an apartment complex. As to the streets in Riverside, I think the area around 5 Points is a little confusing until you get used to it, but for the most part Riverside is built on a grid of North-South and East-West streets, so it is very easy to find your way around. Just study the map and drive/walk around it and you will see what I mean.

Yes,that is the place...I barely caught name of place driving by,but it looks very nice...sort of european and floridian in one.Do you know if it is condo or rental place.

It's nice to see Riverside getting better,such a different feel from southside jax.

Archived