West Jacksonville Thread

bobliocatt

BosTec: College and Post streets will become two-way streets starting tentatively in 2006. I'll miss the old-town feel of having to make three left turns to go south, but this change has many benefits. I live rather close to both and am eager to see the changes take place.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bostech: They are rental, but I think they are fairly expensive - like $1.15 per square foot or something. If you are looking to move to R-side, it is cheaper and more authentic to live in an old, restored apartment, in my opinion. Still, those apartments are a good thing for the neighborhood.

Thanx for info,but I am just wondering and I am more interested in buying some real estate,altough I am looking for cheaper and descent deal,eventually I might move in,but right now just for invesment.

It would be nice to have place in Riverside area even if I am not gonna live at this time.

Yeah ,I like design and structure of that place.

Bostech:  They are rental, but I think they are fairly expensive - like $1.15 per square foot or something.  If you are looking to move to R-side, it is cheaper and more authentic to live in an old, restored apartment, in my opinion.  Still, those apartments are a good thing for the neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live in a 2BR/1BA that occupies the entire second floor of the property. It's approximately 1120 sq. ft. and my rent is $680, with a roommate, it's $725. The electrical system has been gutted and brought to code. Additionally, I have a brand new refrigerator, stove and dishwasher.

The hardwood floors are in remarkable condition, though some areas lack the support which makes it feel it could break over time. The property was built around 1925 and has held up well.

Picture molding is throughout the property. The interior paint scheme is somewhat common for Riverside: "Linen" (supposedly the new color for beige) is applied to the walls, while the baseboards, picture molding and other woodwork receive numerous coats of "Designer White". I monitored the progress of the property as the contractor performed his work. There are many areas of the property where you can tell the job was not a shoddy one.

I have my own, secure entrance. The stairwell reminds me of brownstones when I lived in Boston. I think I may turn that into a visual point of interest, as I can decorate with freedom. From the ground up, the stairwell rises vertically to at least 18'.

Oh, the exterior color scheme is a light gray for the paneling and a rich burgundy for the brick. When I figure out how to post images, I'll show it off. :D

There's also a Neighborhood Watch Program that just formed for three neighboring parallel streets, with College requesting to be included.

You have easy access to the highways. I work off 95 and St. Augustine Road. Instead of taking Stockton to I-10, I take a leisurely drive through Five Points to access 95 from the Fuller Warren. I am also enrolled at UNF, so the drive is easy.

I recommend the area highly. You'll be amazed how quickly property owners invest money as soon as a neighboring property is renovated.

Here are the Auchter updates for June for their Riverside projects ...

1661 Riverside is coming along slowly but surely.

1661061805o1.jpg

VilliaRiva is pretty much done. I hope their townhomes are a little more in character with the rest of the neighborhood - and block the view of VillaRiva's parking deck from Riverside Ave.

VR061805o2.jpg

The Business Journal says that JEDC has worked out a deal with Fidelity to bring an additional 800 jobs to Jax. They will enlarge one of the buildings planned for their campus, which is good, but unfortunately, it also sounds like a pedestrian overpass will be going in. These Fidelity folks really don't have a clue about good urban design.

JEDC and Fidelity agree to more incentives.

I noticed they said they will now increase the size of the the new building, which I assume is the steel structure currently under construction. I wonder if this size increase will be in height. Last year they mentioned that the new building would be designed to accomodate up to 19 floors, if expansion were needed.

Fidelity if not screwing around. In fact, this current building is partly to get some of their offices out of deerwood - they are currently leasing office space just so they can have their people in Jacksonville.

Believe it or not - I believe their campus will end up being urban looking - it will just take time.

I guess Fidelity is technically in Brooklyn - but everyone (including Fidelity) seems to consider their campus as part of Riverside. So I'll put some construction photos here:

july05037.jpg

july05039.jpg

Sorry about the low quality. They were taken from the Skyway.

The steel is already up to the 4th floor. The floor heights seem slightly taller than the adjacent (former Alltel) building. It would be great if this "expansion" will mean more floors! I'm anxious to hear more details from Fideilty.

i wonder if blue cross is going to be expanding their parking - they still seem to have some people parking across the street near the fire station.

since their main campus on gate is so huge, i dont see anything happening with the riverside location, or am i wrong?

It's not bad looking and I'm glad to see new development with some density, but its definitely making full use of its location. Something a few stories taller with some street interaction would be perfect. At least it providing some tastefull infill.

Yes, I believe Ortega Landing will be on the same property. I haven't see much going on at this location, but when construction starts I'll post some pics. In other news, 1661 Riverside is really under way. Last time I drove by I saw some steel beams being put up. I'd say the tallest part is at about 30+ feet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i am not lookin forward to the Ortega Landing Project bc it is just another low-rise condo project that by the way does not fit in with the architectural scheme of things in the area and will probably limit the use of one of the few remaining boatyards in Jacksonville proper and will addso much more traffic to that tight little curve of a street. As for the building, I could see it in Aspen or Maine but not in ortega.

Archived