MIAMI | Downtown, Brickell, Omni, Edgewater

bobliocatt

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to try to get some pictures of this one. Anybody else plan on going?

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/st...17/daily18.html

Everglades Hotel to implode

Starting Sunday, a Miami landmark built in 1926 will turn - temporarily - to rubble.

On that day, at about 8 a.m., Cabi Developers is to implode the 17-story Everglades Hotel in downtown Miami to make way for a new, two-tower condominium.

The developer said 50 pounds of dynamite and 137 pounds of steel cutting charges will implode the Everglades Hotel, clearing land for Everglades on the Bay.

First responders are to take advantage of the blast, with a multi-agency emergency services training drill and a fire drill.

Also, rescue and hazardous materials teams, with South Florida Urban Search and Rescue Team (USAR) and the City of Miami Police Department, are to train in conditions made to simulate the World Trade Center disaster.

Due to safety precautions, the developer said various downtown roads will be blocked off starting at 7 a.m. the day of the implosion. At 7:30 a.m., the area is to be secured, with an implosion ceremony with the developer and city officials beginning 25 minutes later.

^It's interesting to see a tower in that location. One of Miami's original "suburbs." I wonder if that area just to the west of the CBD is seeing other mid-rise developments like this....

Actually there is a ton of them going up in that area now. Most are 15 to 20 stories but a few are taller like this one. That Terrazas River Park was another, and Brisas Del Rio, Hurricane Cove...etc

I can't wait to see the PAC take off! I really think that development will be hot in this area, because of the PAC. I'm glad this development has retail/dining space, it will be critical in developing an exciting pre/post function area, where one can have a "dinner-and-a-concert" in the "Arts District."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^Yes, I absolutely LOVE those renderings. I don't know if Miami could ever achieve an intricate urban landscape like this, but it would be great. My favorite is the transformation of an alleyway into a popular entertainment destination.

I think thats almost everyones favorite. :D You can never have too much entertainment. I think it is real great that it would be able to directly connect to the park on one end and the upcoming greenway on the other. That whole area, with the new residences, the park, the greenway, promenade, and the beautiful scenery Miami's been blessed with is going to be spectacular in the upcoming years!! :shades:

• 1 month later...

Archived