Fort Lauderdale & North/Central Broward

bobliocatt

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love to see aerial views of the tunnel area....cool!

I like this building and want it to be built, but I wish it were not going exactly where it is. I think it's too much for the Stranahan House. I think a low to mid rise Mediterranean/Caribbean type structure would have been a better fit, but that's just me.

When I lived in Lauderdale, I use to shop at this Hyde Park Market. I think before it was Hyde Park, it was a Pantry Pride...anyone remember those? I even got my car booted there once for parking and going shopping on Las Olas.

Glad this site is being developed, just not sure IMO if this is the correct structure for this site.

Hallandale...the tallest structure in Broward? Say it ain't so! What does that building look like?

• 2 weeks later...

^And since land is scarce in South Florida this booming population will be housed in an URBAN environment! Development must go UP, not OUT!

Now we just have to hope that downtown Ft. Laud can get the ball rolling on their infrastructure, especially transit, if they want to be able to house all these people!

• 4 weeks later...

The new building being put up on the site of the old hyde price market site is called Icon Las Olas. I really love the way it looks. It will be 42 stories and about 10 feet taller than Riverhouse making it the tallest in Fort Lauderdale.

icon-las-olas-RG-pic.jpg

for more pictures and info you can go to

http://www.andyweiser.com/newcon/icon_las_..._lauderdale.htm

and also http://www.hansenhomesaventura.com/Icon-La...Icon-Condo.html

^Thanks for posting!

I like the landscaped plaza, and that there'll be restaurants and retail on the ground floor. My only concern is the side of the building that faces Las Olas Blvd. One would think that that would be the more dynamic side of the building, but it seems to ignore Las Olas Blvd.

Hmmm, maybe it's just the rendering....

Wow another new tower for Fort Lauderdale, that's great!..........one thing I've gotta say though is that last time I was in Fort Lauderdale I noticed that most of towers were empty and dark which really doesn't help with the city wanting to create a 24/7 urban environment. Hopefully this tower will be successful and not full of a bunch of investors just planning on flipping.

Wow another new tower for Fort Lauderdale, that's great!..........one thing I've gotta say though is that last time I was in Fort Lauderdale I noticed that most of towers were empty and dark which really doesn't help with the city wanting to create a 24/7 urban environment. Hopefully this tower will be successful and not full of a bunch of investors just planning on flipping.

You are right about the buildings being empty. It is sad, but the only time these buildings are even 60% lit up is in the winter season. The reason is the prices. An 850 square foot unit in Icon will sell for $400,000. Most people who actually live in South Florida can't afford the new developments going up here. The problem is the city. The city won't allow for the really high density needed to allow the developers to offer more units at affordable prices. We have huge buildings going up, but Riverhouse for instance has many floors with only a handfull of units on each floor! Most buildings going up in Fort Lauderdale should have twice the density.

I think you'll see fewer investors this time around... many of them who have bought up 90% of the units in the other buildings aren't having much luck in selling their units for the prices they thought they would be able to get.

The owners of the Fort Lauderdale Marriott Marina may possibly be preparing to sell the property. From Hotel-Online...

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/2006_Jan_...1137608253.html

I have stayed here. While the place is well run, it's not especially memorable. Its best asset is its location near Port Everglades, thus assuring it of a steady stream of cruise passengers. The re-branding of the former DoubleTree Oceanfront into a Marriott Courtyard seems about right for the aging property.

I suppose the best part about this project is that it's a Related project. And whereas Related is struggling in Vegas, everything it touches in South florida turns to gold.

Plus Related projects tend to be a little cheaper than most other developers. They build in bulk (with at least 20 to 30 projects going on at any one time) so they can afford to make less profit on each individual building.

The city of Fort Lauderdale has voted to add 3,000 more units to the downtown urban core. Now the proposal goes to the State of Florida where it will likely sail through, and then to the county. One important note, a new law agreed to mandates that 15% of the new units be affordable. This is a move in the right direction if you ask me.

A new wave of highrise condos is coming soon!

You can go here to read about it in the Sun-Sentinel http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/sou...-home-headlines

This is a page from the website of the

Broward Trust for Historic Preservation

Old post card views of Fort Lauderdale. A few of these places are still standing, like the Yankee Clipper and the Lauderdale Beach Hotel (now becoming part of the Beach Club). One wonders how much longer the Jolly Roger (now known as the Sea Club) will survive. It would be interesting if at least part of it could be incorporated into something new- like they are doing with the Lauderdale Beach Hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived