Fort Lauderdale & North/Central Broward

bobliocatt

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new building being put up on the site of the old hyde price market site is called Icon Las Olas. I really love the way it looks. It will be 42 stories and about 10 feet taller than Riverhouse making it the tallest in Fort Lauderdale.

icon-las-olas-RG-pic.jpg

for more pictures and info you can go to

http://www.andyweiser.com/newcon/icon_las_..._lauderdale.htm

and also http://www.hansenhomesaventura.com/Icon-La...Icon-Condo.html

I like this project for three reasons:

(1) Another new tallest.

(2) Elevates design, as most of FTL's newer towers are so-so.

(3) Fills a significant deadspot in the CBD, and essentially extending Las Olas into the financial district.

Does anyone know how the building sales are going on the new Icon tower? It does seem like a very cool building and will definitely improve that whole ugly stretch between the Riverside Hotel and Stranahan House.

But, at $650 a square foot its priced significantly higher than anything else along the RiverWalk. Granted it will be very nice but will it be 100-200/Sq Ft Nicer than the Las Olas Grand, Watergarden or River House? Do you think with the current "bubble/froth" fear out there that it will actually sell?

I think the best that could be said about ICON is that it is a Related project. And Related has been good as gold in Florida. Can't think of a single Florida project of theirs that hasn't been successful.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this project break ground before June.

It looks like they setup a white air conditioned tent on the Icon Las Olas site over the past day or two - I thought initially it would be a sales office but based on its location (right in what will soon be the parking garage) it must be a party tent for a ground breaking ceremony.

I couldn't get a great view of the inside but it looks like they are decorating the interior. Based on how quickly it went up, they may be closer to groundbreaking than the April guess. It also appears they have been doing soil testing at the site as well. Can't wait to see this project take shape.

It looks like they setup a white air conditioned tent on the Icon Las Olas site over the past day or two - I thought initially it would be a sales office but based on its location (right in what will soon be the parking garage) it must be a party tent for a ground breaking ceremony.

I couldn't get a great view of the inside but it looks like they are decorating the interior. Based on how quickly it went up, they may be closer to groundbreaking than the April guess. It also appears they have been doing soil testing at the site as well. Can't wait to see this project take shape.

You may be right, ddsfla. These guys work at lightning-speed. And besides, they probably had reservations already lined up during the interminable delays.

Article from South Florida Business Journal, new development on Pompano Beach

Pompano Beach high-rise hits new pricing heights

Ed Duggan

Two oceanfront Pompano Beach motels are being razed to make way for The Waters, a 16-story boutique condominium of 50 big units developed by Bradenton-based Taylor Woodrow.

While the former motels got $100 or more a night for their rooms in season, the proposed construction ratchets up beach squatting rights to a brand-new level.

Priced from $1.2 million to $5 million a unit, The Waters could set new per-unit sales records for a Pompano Beach condominium, according to real estate consultant Jack McCabe.

Its closest competitor is OceanSide, a non-oceanfront project by WCI Communities at Atlantic Boulevard and A1A. It has prices starting at $915,000 for smaller units and may sell for more per square foot than The Waters in some of its selections.

Pompano Beach is one of the final beachfronts in Broward County to start experiencing a wave of redevelopment, which is causing some angst. Merchants on Atlantic Boulevard are worried about being displaced and Mayor John Rayson is concerned about finding $70 million to replace the street's 56-year-old bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway. So far, it's only on his wish list. No money has been appropriated for its replacement.

The Waters' about two-acre site, at 730 N. Ocean Blvd., formerly housed the Sea Castle Motel and the Villa-Mar Inn, which were acquired for $14.5 million, according to Ian D. Kramer, project manager for Taylor Woodrow.

Designed by West Palm Beach-based Architects Consortium, The Waters features four floor plans and two penthouse designs.

Spaces start at 3,000 square feet for three- and four-bedroom units, with three-and-half or four-and-a-half baths.

The construction cost is estimated at $250 a square foot. Prices will be between $400 a square foot and $1,250 a square foot, a Taylor Woodrow spokeswoman said.

The general contractor has not been finalized, Kramer said.

On Jan. 20, Phillip Spiegelman, president of Aventura-based International Sales Group said ISG would represent The Waters.

"The project will add a touch of quality to an unspoiled beachfront," he said.

The Waters project is self-financed, a rarity in times of widespread speculation and highly leveraged deals.

The 85-year old Taylor Woodrow firm can afford it. Based in the United Kingdom, it had annual revenue of more than $6 billion last year.

Taylor Woodrow's U.S. subsidiary, based in Bradenton, has been active for more than 65 years. In 2004, it reported revenue of more than $1.5 billion.

Local Taylor Woodrow projects include the Addison Reserve in Delray Beach, the Diplomat Oceanfront Residences in Hollywood, The Country Club at Mirasol in Palm Beach Gardens and Mirasol Beach Residences on Singer Island.

For buyers at The Waters, the contract price is the final price, even with possible jumps in construction materials and labor costs.

"There are no contract escalation clauses, Kramer said. "Taylor Woodrow would rather make less profit than deliver something less than had been promised."

I stopped by the temporary on-site sales office at Icon Las Olas - it looks like the prices will be LOWER than originally anticipated. Prices quoted to me were around $550-$600/sq ft even for upper floors. The sales rep said we would be pleasantly surprised. They also reduced the reservation deposit on 3 bedrooms to 70K (originally it was 90K for a 3 bedroom). I do like the building and I really hope it gets built - it will be a great addition to the city - unfortunately its still a bit overpriced compared to nearby luxury properties.

I was told final pricing and contracts will hit in 2 weeks and that they are 70% under reservation. I think that number is high though becuase I've heard they have an over reservation multiple of 4X on the A unit (the largest unit with best views of the river/ocean).

Anyone have anyother news out there on the Icon project?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While I think Fort Lauderdale needs to tread carefully, I don't think this development presents a problem. As for the "canyonization" of Las Olas Boulevard, I don't think that's a terrible idea, as long as it's done with good sense. I'll have to go take a look at the proposed building again, but if it's what I think they are taking about, I don't see this as anything to be upset about.

• 2 weeks later...

Satori Condo in Lake Ridge.

Looks like this developer (same one who did the Symphony downtown) has been quietly buying up land on E Sunrise (1111 E Sunrise) - about 6 acres actually - to build this condo development just west of the new Publix there. The renderings looks great and will really help the Lake Ridge neighborhood. The only thing is 290K+ for a 1BR Condo seems pretty steep.

According to the website (www.satoricondos.com) you need 10% down PLUS 10% promissory note PLUS a guarantee from a lender that they will finance it. Considering its at least 2 years away and banks are tightening things up I think this will be a tough hurdle for the non-investor to buy a unit. I don't know if there are any investors left out there either as about every street in Lake Ridge has multiple for sale signs up - but I really do hope it gets built as it would be a nice addition to the neighborhood.

Anyone have other info on this development?

Everyone please excuse me, but I need to vent for a moment. All of the recent NIMBYISM is driving me nuts!

I really hate the nimbyism in Broward. Considering how truly out to lunch some of the residents are, it is amazing that we've had the development we've had. But I think things will change in the coming years. If you look around most of Broward is up for sale, and long time residents are cashing out and moving on. There is a sense among many in the community that Broward is going the way of the dreaded Dade (more density in the buildings, taller buildings, ect).

Also as Broward shifts more racially to become an even more solidly minority majority county (Broward became a minority majority county this year) many whites (who are the chief nimbys) are packing up.

I have never understood the passionate opposition to progress... Why don't people welcome a city with a sense of place, where one can walk places in stead of driving every single place you go? Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get it.

I look forward to seeing more and more of both Broward and Dade become more like an urban village. Mixed use buildings, smart growth. And personally I like tall buildings. I love what is being done in Hallandale Beach. It is starting to look really beautiful. Look at Hallandale Beach and Lauderdale by the sea next to each other. Which beach would you prefer? Lauderdale by the Sea with it's 4 story building cap and trashy atmosphere (which its crazy residents are trying to "protect"), or the beautiful Hallandale Beach with its 40 and over 50 story condos and hotels like the Diplomat? I know which beach I prefer.

The last straw is now Hollywood has placed a building moratorium on all new projects on the beach... give me a break. This will last for 6 months, and in this real estate market that may be just long enough for Hollywood Beach to miss out on the building boom.

It's too bad that Broward's progress is held up by what is really just a handful of very vocal unhappy residents who hate anything that might revitalize their areas. They are the most nasty people you will ever meet. They shout down anyone who DARES to speak at a county or city meeting in favor of development. They are really out of control. My question is this: Why the hell do these people still try to live in an urban county with over 1.8 million residents and pretend like they are in the fight of their lives to save their small town way of life? In case they haven't noticed, that was over more than 20 years ago. It's time to move on people... I hear that the panhandle is nice.

Everyone please excuse me, but I need to vent for a moment. All of the recent NIMBYISM is driving me nuts!

I really hate the nimbyism in Broward. Considering how truly out to lunch some of the residents are, it is amazing that we've had the development we've had. But I think things will change in the coming years. If you look around most of Broward is up for sale, and long time residents are cashing out and moving on. There is a sense among many in the community that Broward is going the way of the dreaded Dade (more density in the buildings, taller buildings, ect).

Also as Broward shifts more racially to become an even more solidly minority majority county (Broward became a minority majority county this year) many whites (who are the chief nimbys) are packing up.

I have never understood the passionate opposition to progress... Why don't people welcome a city with a sense of place, where one can walk places in stead of driving every single place you go? Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get it.

I look forward to seeing more and more of both Broward and Dade become more like an urban village. Mixed use buildings, smart growth. And personally I like tall buildings. I love what is being done in Hallandale Beach. It is starting to look really beautiful. Look at Hallandale Beach and Lauderdale by the sea next to each other. Which beach would you prefer? Lauderdale by the Sea with it's 4 story building cap and trashy atmosphere (which its crazy residents are trying to "protect"), or the beautiful Hallandale Beach with its 40 and over 50 story condos and hotels like the Diplomat? I know which beach I prefer.

The last straw is now Hollywood has placed a building moratorium on all new projects on the beach... give me a break. This will last for 6 months, and in this real estate market that may be just long enough for Hollywood Beach to miss out on the building boom.

It's too bad that Broward's progress is held up by what is really just a handful of very vocal unhappy residents who hate anything that might revitalize their areas. They are the most nasty people you will ever meet. They shout down anyone who DARES to speak at a county or city meeting in favor of development. They are really out of control. My question is this: Why the hell do these people still try to live in an urban county with over 1.8 million residents and pretend like they are in the fight of their lives to save their small town way of life? In case they haven't noticed, that was over more than 20 years ago. It's time to move on people... I hear that the panhandle is nice.

I hear you, and I totally agree. The worse culprits are those jerkasses in Davie and Southwest Ranches, who still believe they live in a "rural" town.......come on?! They're living in a county with 1.8 million people. I think they gave up their rural lifestyle when they paved their roads and bought luxury SUVs. The words "rural" and "Broward County" do not belong in the same sentence.

My vent.......I think the white flight is due to an alienation of cultures. I'm white, I'm from the black parts of North Dade, and I don't plan on moving back after college. This is due to a NUMBER of reasons, but culture is one of them. You cannot find anyone who speaks English these days. Besides that and most of all, there is just a cultural "disconnect" between whites and a lot of these groups. I don't understand the Haitian way of life, and I see them as oddballs many times. I find Hispanics to be rather snotty and rude to people that are not Hispanic. Everytime I go home to visit, I find that whites are pounced upon. Some for good reason, some for not. I always feel like I don't "belong" to South Florida, despite being born and bred there, and in Dade to boot!! Well, I'm not at home sitting, complaining and doing nothing about it.......I've left. I know you won't agree larrysofla, but I can respectfully disagree and hope you'll do the same :)

I would love to live in a dense, urban walkable environment, and I actually do so here in Tallahassee. I live a half mile from work, don't own a car, and live in walking distance to great dining, nightlife, work and play. And I actually have a sense of "belonging"! Of course, Tally is NOWHERE near as urban as South Florida and probably never will, but it fits me just well.

I believe South Florida will find people that are drawn to it and belong, of ALL races and ethnicities. The NIMBYs will be weeded out, and it will draw people who want the South Florida kind of lifestyle to it. So, in effect, I'm not worried about South Florida. It will find its way.

I hear you, and I totally agree. The worse culprits are those jerkasses in Davie and Southwest Ranches, who still believe they live in a "rural" town.......come on?! They're living in a county with 1.8 million people. I think they gave up their rural lifestyle when they paved their roads and bought luxury SUVs. The words "rural" and "Broward County" do not belong in the same sentence.

My vent.......I think the white flight is due to an alienation of cultures. I'm white, I'm from the black parts of North Dade, and I don't plan on moving back after college. This is due to a NUMBER of reasons, but culture is one of them. You cannot find anyone who speaks English these days. Besides that and most of all, there is just a cultural "disconnect" between whites and a lot of these groups. I don't understand the Haitian way of life, and I see them as oddballs many times. I find Hispanics to be rather snotty and rude to people that are not Hispanic. Everytime I go home to visit, I find that whites are pounced upon. Some for good reason, some for not. I always feel like I don't "belong" to South Florida, despite being born and bred there, and in Dade to boot!! Well, I'm not at home sitting, complaining and doing nothing about it.......I've left. I know you won't agree larrysofla, but I can respectfully disagree and hope you'll do the same :)

I would love to live in a dense, urban walkable environment, and I actually do so here in Tallahassee. I live a half mile from work, don't own a car, and live in walking distance to great dining, nightlife, work and play. And I actually have a sense of "belonging"! Of course, Tally is NOWHERE near as urban as South Florida and probably never will, but it fits me just well.

I believe South Florida will find people that are drawn to it and belong, of ALL races and ethnicities. The NIMBYs will be weeded out, and it will draw people who want the South Florida kind of lifestyle to it. So, in effect, I'm not worried about South Florida. It will find its way.

I too am white, and have lived here 15 years (I am 23 years old). I feel that I belong, and I live in a community of mostly black islanders. I find that generally people are friendly. I do agree that there is racism in every group of people, but for the most part people seem to get along. As far as the English part, I'm an actor so I work all over Miami-Dade county as well as Broward, and I must say everywhere I go from South Dade to North Broward the vast majority of people I meet and talk to either speak English or are bilingual. I never have a problem, even in Miami, with someone not understanding me. Yes it is true that you hear a lot of Spanish being spoken, but generally these people speak English too... so what's the problem? I think people should speak what they are comfortable with.

I respect your opinion, and realize that you are not alone in your feelings about the region when it comes to culture. It's not for everyone. I, for one, enjoy and embrace the cultural diversity. It makes life more interesting. :)

Scary story on a local project that, at least according to the article has gone bust. The scary thing to me is I actually sat in a sales presentation and considered it. I also watched a couple from New Jersey pony over a check for this place. Looks like the average investor has lost about 100 grand each as the Escrows have simply "vanished."

http://www.newtimesbpb.com/Issues/2006-04-20/news/news.html

Its sad, really for the investors and the city too as it would have been a nice addition to downtown. It also makes developers, who probably were out of their league in this project, look like crooks too. Doesn't help the reputation of the Galleria Collection Realty agency. I would think that someone goes to jail over this as (at least according to the article) the 3 million in deposits have vanished.

• 2 weeks later...

Nine Story Condo Tower to Replace the Black Orchid Cafe?

A proposal to replace the Black Orchid Cafe with a nine story condominium tower has received a tepid reception from the city council. Nonetheless, I see this project going forward. This is right around the corner from the Sea Tower where we are moving next week. I rather liked the Black Orchid, but it has fallen out of favor with the fickle foodies in town.

Hotel-Online/Sun Sentinel

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are still a few grubby parts of Fort Lauderdale, but most of the city is doing quite well. There has been some over-building, but I think the demand for waterfront property will ensure that Fort Lauderdale has a promising future- hurricanes or no.

A non-profit developer has proposed a new 15 story apartment building in downtown Fort Lauderdale on Andrews Ave and 6th St. It would have 176 units, and the rents would range from $631 - $752 a month. There would be income guidelines. It looks like this project has a great likelyhood of passing. The only part of the project that I don't like is that of the 176 units, 130 of them would be senior housing where at least one person in the unit must be 55 or older. Only 30 units would be available to people of any age. Another 9 units would be built as townhouses sold at market value. The project is called Flagler Point.

You can read about this project at Sun-Sentinel.com here: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/sou...-home-headlines

Archived