Fort Lauderdale & North/Central Broward

bobliocatt

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broward County has approved a land use change that will allow several new mixed-use development to move forward in the cities of Hollywood and Fort Lauderdale. Both resolutions passed unanimously.

Fort Lauderdale had initially requested a land use change to allow an additional 13,000 new units in an area that only allowed 5,100. Back in March the county reduced the addition to 3,000 (for a total of 8,100 allowable units), citing that the city had not clearly addressed the transportation and other infrastructural needs of the area. The site in question is designated a "regional activity center", which allows high density mixed use development.

• 2 weeks later...

Developer wishes to build Downtown Lofts in Fort Lauderdale, two 15-story towers with 210 residential units. It has to be approved by the city commission first, which will decide if it is appropriate for the surrounding area, which consists of auto-body shops, nondescript office buildings, industrial buildings, and townhouses.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/bro...la-news-broward

The city of Fort Lauderdale has just approved Downtown Lofts, a new residential project, consisting of 210 units within two 15-story towers, and 4500 sq ft. of office space. This is one of several new projects that will be built in the city's northwest quadrant, north of Broward Blvd and west of Andrews Avenue. The site is presently contains vacant warehouses.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/bro...ews-browardcomm

Related UrbanPlanet.org topics: South Florida P&C: Downtown Lofts

Broward may be near-built out, but that doesn't mean there's no activity. The Eastward Ho! initiative was started to push development back east, encouraging higher-density infill development in Broward's older, eastern cities. Places such as Hollywood and Fort Lauderdale are now being given a second look when in earlier years the preferred choices of settlement would have been the likes of Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs, or Plantation, epitomes of suburbia.

It looks like the next new downtown will be Pompano Beach. Good luck to them... right now their "downtown" is in shambles, and the last time I was there a few months ago I didn't see anything that I would refer to as a downtown. The city wants to redevelop land currently owned by FEC, that the city currently leases. The city wants to acquire it via eminent domain. Can they? FEC says it's not within their eminent domain powers to acquire land owned by a railroad.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/sou...-home-headlines

Some info about the the Tao condominium project being built in Sunrise, near Sawgrass Mills. The project will have a distinctly Asian-influenced design and the marketing has taken this direction too. The project is expected to be completed in 2007.

Oriental influences in architecture and design, Abbate said, are manifested in a combination of different elements such as use of silk fabric, bamboo, suspended screens and carefully orchestrated garden elements. Generally, however, it's more of a design philosophy capturing the energies of how we move through space, how we capture light.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local...iness-headlines

Related UrbanPlanet.org topic: South Florida P&C: Tao Condominiums

A new development for Plantation's midtown, what will become the city's tallest building, surpassing the city's current tallest by just one floor. Tentatively called One Plantation Plaza, it would feature a 10 story building with 576 residential units, 80,000. sf. retail, and 40,000 sf. office. Developer is Stiles Development. The project awaits approval from the city council.

The area is located around University Drive corridor and Interstate 595, with mostly commercial strips, office buildings, and little residential (not until past Broward Blvd do you see residential buildings along University).

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/bro...la-news-broward

Fort Lauderdale's Las Olas Riverfront has not been as successful as had been hoped. It's located west of Andrews Avenue and SW 2nd Street. Tenants have been reporting slow sales and property values have fallen. A new developer has bought the property and now there are plans to build high-rise condos on the site.

read more

Wow, this is the exact opposite of what I saw when I went there a few weeks ago. The courtyard and plaza were packed with people, and this was in the daytime.

^I've seen it packed and empty. I really don't get that area... I think it'll be nice to have the residential tower there, where it might bring more residents/shoppers to that area. But I heard they'd get rid of the movie theatre to put the condos in. I really liked having a movie theatre downtown.

There seems to be alot of new projects in this N. Andrews area.  I've never really explored that part of downtown before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I kind of have a "sour taste" in my mouth regarding the "building up" of downtown FTL West of Andrews and North of Broward Boulevard.

Why? Because that area now is primarily composed of not well to do African Americans. Howbeit, the area is a little run-down and needs some type of revitalization or financial infusion, but whoever is running that district I will say that this is not the way to do it.

I now live in Sarasota where they, the City Government recently purchased most of of the land in the "Old Town" district, which was predominantly black, forcing the black populace to move North to the 2nd black district called Newtown, and renovated and are currently planning to replace most of the buildings in Old Town with expensive condo's. Some blacks refused to move and are still living in this area along with the rising expensive condo's, renovated buildings, etc.

It appears that the same is happening in Fort Lauderdale, and to a point I am a little angry. No, I am not crying racism but I am crying foul. Most of the people in that area of FTL are relatively poor, and I must admit the majority of the populace are black. I would cry foul if it were any other ethnic group including whites but being a black man I guess I am a little more sensitive than the average "Joe."

I love development, redevelopment, upgrading of neighborhoods, etc. But when it appears that the government in the City of question are taking some sort of an "overbearing" advantage on people who are less fortunate, then I have to sound my voice!

:angry: FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

^A very valid point. IMO, though Ft. Laud is sparkling clean and bursting with development, it's not mixed well. Many people on this message board stress that mixed incomes are vital to a "real" and successful urban area.

Most of downtown is filled with stuff not many people can afford. Not just the black populace, but most of the people in the vicinity can't afford the Las Olas River House. Where do the rich people come from?

The "liveable" neighborhoods aren't the shiny towers full of investment buyers that use the condo like twice a year. Real residents live in the middle wealth ($$ for those that have played Sim City) units.

That's my two cents ($$)

• 2 weeks later...

New 10-story office building planned for Plantation office park. The site is located bound by W. Peters Road, I-595, and Pine Island Road. It is visible from I-595 and tenants include the US headquarters for DHL. Building would contain 240,000 sf. of office space. Developer is Patrinely Group.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/12425873.htm

• 1 month later...

The Broward town of Oakland Park, north of Fort Lauderdale, has some big plans in its future. The city has officially completed the annexation of the previously unincorporated neighborhoods of North Andrews Gardens, Twin Lakes South, Mira Lago and Montage-by-the-Lake, adding 10,000 people, bringing the city's population to 42,000.

The city is hoping to revitalize its "main street" corridor, and plans include new housing, mixed use developments, and more.

Check out the city's Master Plans.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/12689064.htm

Developers of the "W" hotel on Fort Lauderdale beach have demolished their sales center to clear more room for work on the site. The sales center was housed in the former Southern Shores hotel, said Sales Director Maura Landers. The sales operation has moved temporarily to the offices of Colonial Development Corp., in Suite 1050 at 515 E. Las Olas Blvd. The search for a new sales center is ongoing.

Of the 517 units W is expected to build, 171 are being offered as condo-hotel dwellings. Construction of the building is expected to take about two years, with opening scheduled for the 2007-08 winter season.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local...iness-headlines

• 4 weeks later...

I'm baffled over why a new shopping area which seems to be thriving would be obliterated. It would appear that having shops, restaurants and theaters in close prroximity to dwelling units would be a strong benefit to residents. I'm not carried away with the quality of many of the restaurants there (think Ugly Tuna Saloona), but to destroy the whole thing seems questionable.

• 2 weeks later...

On the corner of Atlantic and AIA WCI is building a three tower project. A seventeen story tower west of AIA is under construction and consist of 186 units at an average price of a million. A twenty seven story tower is being built east of there and will be a condo/hotel. The hotel chain has yet to be announced but WCI said it will a top of the line chain ( I am hoping Ritz Carlton, but we'll see) Units are going to go around the 1000 per square foot range. Below is a link to a rendering of the project.

http://www.andyweiser.com/newcon/oceanside...ndering-900.jpg

Thing are really starting to pick up in Pompano. For years it always been lagging behind other coastal cities but I think this project will really start to make the area boom. Pompano was recently named as one of the top five vacation home markets in the nation and has been in the top five zip codes for yearly appreciation. THe city is wanting to making atlantic blvd a pedestrian friendly street with mixed use development. Hopefully when the city goes in for its LAC designation in Jan. it will get approved by the county (Let hope the planning dept. deosnt screw up again). When that happens things will really explode. :D

• 3 weeks later...

The long fought about 42 story tower next to Stranahan House was approved on Tuesday by the city of Fort Lauderdale by a 3-2 vote. You can read about it here http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/sou...-home-headlines

It will be the new tallest tower in Fort Lauderdale, although only by a few feet.

20838615.jpg

:thumbsup:

A new tallest is always good news. Ft.Lauderdale needs to go over 500 feet though, they can't allow Hallandale to have the tallest in the County.

Archived