West Palm Beach & Palm Beach County

bobliocatt

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newbie to this board, but I'm also a member of a very similar Board, and I think a couple of posters here will recognize me.

I'm very familiar with everything you talk about since I live smack in the middle of it all, and I'm currently waiting to move to 610 Clematis. I'm formerly from New York, so I'm looking forward to downtown WPB becoming a vibrant mini version of NYC. Been monitoring the progress downtown and have watched Clematis have its ups and downs, with the popularity of CityPlace overtaking it. Hopefully, I'll be living at the crossroads (literally at the corner between the two) as they continue to grow and prosper.

One thing I'll say is that if I miss an article in the PB Post, I can always find some good information here. :)

One thing I can add from today's Post is an Editorial about Opera Place. Recently, the Florida Stage which was to take up the lower levels backed out. Having Florida Stage as a tenant was originally a reason that BAP was given permission to build so high. Now there is some controversy. Here's what someone has to say.

---------------------------------

New Opera Place libretto

Palm Beach Post Editorial

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/conte..._edit_0817.html

-----------------------------------

I was there about a year ago and I was amazed to see the improvements being made to the downtown's infrastructure. The streets were either closed or half open. Coming back a few weeks ago, I would bet those same streets are still closed. :lol: Seriously, there are a lot of things going on and Mayor Frankel has been a great leader and voice for her city. Hopefully she can start advocating for a light rail line so that it can be there when the city's population reaches that critical mass where it will be viable to use. Imagine if it could be connected with Tri-Rail and a potential future FEC Tri-Rail line along Quadrille Avenue!

I like the distinct character and feel of both CityPlace and Clematis. CityPlace has the high-end shopping and Clematis has the bars and clubs as well as the grit. I would say that the old Clematis will be much more successful (I still saw a lot of activity nonetheless) if there was more stuff between it and CityPlace... Hopefully we'll see more mixed-use along Quadrille and Florida Aves. to provide a smoother transition between the areas. CityPlace won't feel as "removed" from everything as it might now. At the rate things are going, CityPlace and downtown could easily come together within a few years. I especially like the way 610 Clematis meets the street corner. That building could easily be the cornerstone between the Clematis area and Cityplace. :)

Welcome aboard, shellyfish!

Hi, Shelly! I snoop around on the "other forum" and I remember you. I hope 610 is awesome! We're like "neighbors" now, since I'm moving into a dorm at Palm Beach Atlantic University, lol... I love downtown WPB, it's one of the most liveable downtowns.

I agree, 610 is the first step in connecting Cityplace to Clematis. Opera Place will be what connects Cityplace to the Waterfront.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Thought I'd add an update of some future condo/hotels in the works, either in the planning stages or further developed.

Taken from the Business Section (hope I'm allowed to copy and paste without repercussion :o )

------------------

By Alexandra Clough

Palm Beach Post Columnist

Sunday, August 21, 2005

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/business/cont...ghcol_0821.html

Great information! In the future, please provide the link and maybe a couple highlights... this site gets a lot of exposure online and this helps us avoid copyright issues.

Here are the condo-hotels mentioned in that column... Incidentally the first two are listed in our Projects & Construction directory:

• wpbclarkeshotel9nh.th.jpg

Clarkes hotel, 5 stories, 56 rooms. (Fern St btwn. Olive and Dixie Hwy)

• wpbharrick4eb.th.jpg

The Harrick, 20 stories, 138 units (S Dixie Hwy @ Okeechobee Blvd)... Condo units ranging between $600k-$1m. Construction expected to start in January.

• The Imperial. Proposed, 20 stories, 161 units, 20,176 sf. commercial space (SE corner of Trinity Place & Dixie Hwy)

• hotel proposed for The Place Via Rosemary, a large residential project planned for Rosemary Avenue just north of Banyan Boulevard.

Probably my two favorite buildings right now are The Harrick and CityPlace Tower.

The segment of US1 north of Yamato Road in Boca might be seeing some more "urban-like" (at least by Boca standards) development soon... Plans include tearing down an old shopping center and replacing it with a new project, North Boca Village Center, with residences and shops. A theatre is on that site and would relocate within the new project.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/sou...sfla-news-front

It seems that Boca is looking up to its northern neighbor (Delray) for examples of decent urban development... (wonder how that bodes for the Boca

I just want to apologize for posting the whole article. I actually prefer to use the link, but in the past on other Boards, I have had trouble doing this, specifically with newspaper articles, because it never worked properly and I never knew why. I am aware of the policies and I even once contacted a couple of the editors at the Post to question them on the rules and legality for referring to their articles and I think I almost caused a minor uproar. :blush:

I understand how this affects your online exposure and will definitely adhere to all regulations in the future. I am now hitting myself with a wet noodle.

Aporkalypse, why the sad face? I wouldn't want WPB to become as large and looming and overgrown as NYC with all the inherent problems that entails (as much as I miss the Big Apple), but I guess we're just City folk and will enjoy being able to walk everywhere with all the activity within spitting distance. I would agree that too much construction can get out of hand and some of the nicer land should be left as is to enjoy the beauty. Hopefully an open waterfront will produce such an effect. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those interested in the modern office tower planned for CityPlace, today's Post (October 8) has this updated article.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbccentral/co...tower_1008.html

There was a rendering in the paper, but not on the website. Very slight differences from the original concept, including the color, but the rendering was in B&W so you couldn't tell much from it.

^Thanks for posting that article!

I don't know why people are so afraid of glass in WPB. It's not like they're building an ugly, pale utilitarian building. I was very, VERY impressed with the original, and I think it'll look great.

Opera Place isn't even good architecture. The buildings are psuedo-mediterranean and a bulky.

*end rant*

This would make a great opportunity to turn Quadrille Blvd into a row of glass towers or mid-rises. It could be the city's new grand avenue and provide continuity between Clematis and City Place. It's one thing to be consistent and uniform, and it's another thing to be monotonous and bland.

MedRev is still going strong in Boca too... I don't see that changing at all, ever. With that said, they have gotten creative in injecting other styles into their MedRev regiment. There's a neat-looking office building that resembles your typical low-rise box but it looks someone sliced the corner like a conic and covered the wall in framed glass. It's pretty interesting.

I certainly hope WPB is not striving to be like Boca... One Boca is enough. WPB can be much more eclectic.

• 1 month later...

Splashy design offered for West Palm waterfront

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbccentral/co...front_1114.html

image_1944324.jpg

A computer rendering shows an unobstructed view of the Intracoastal Waterway looking east over the fountain at the end of Clematis Street and the site of the current downtown library.

image_1944340.jpg

A computer rendering shows a view looking west from the Intracoastal Waterway toward Clematis Street. A tidal pool (center) where the current library sits is one of the project's features.

image_1944336.jpg

Archived