Most unique american city

Which city do you think is the most unique?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Which city do you think is the most unique?

• New York City
    • Philadelphia
    • Baltimore
    • Seattle
    • Chicago
    • Miami
    • San Francisco
    • Washington D.C.
    • Detroit
    • Las Vegas

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Las Vegas is unique in the world and I couldn't vote for any other!

New Orleans belongs more than some of the others due to the French and Cajun cultural influences. I would guess the French Quarter atmosphere exists nowhere else either.

I picked NYC because of diversity, arts, highrises (both in count & different styles), and of course mass transit just to name a few things. All of which are on an entirely different level than all other american cities. Vegas is different and fun but I wouldn't say it is unique, more just a disney land for middle/upper middle class folk. :) Completely void of all things a place has to have in my opinion to be even an interesting city. No offense just my opinion.

Having grown up and lived in Houston for 18 years and another 4 off and on (while in college) I am very suprised you would suggest this city. To me it is ugly, lifeless (though that has been changing recently), however it has some of the best traffic on earth! The skyline is nice for postcards but when you are down there in the city I find it to be pretty lifeless and run down in most areas. Sorry for the sarcaism but I really am curious why you think houston would even come close to being the most unique city in america.

In all fairness to Houston (sorry I feel guilty now, I was born there and all) if they continue to build new residential, mixed-use developements downtown and can expand their light rail there is some real potential there. I guess I always hated it because being the 4th largest city in the US it had no really good mass transit (ie lightrail, subway, or anything like that) and I spent far too much time stuck in horrible traffic. :) That always amazed me but hopefully that is all changing now. Anyway I'll save it for a different thread.

I hope to not offend anyone given the comments so far on the thread, but...

great, if you cant figure it out then dont take place in the poll/thread. it was a useless comment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that unique is a really ambiguous word ... so I didn't want to participate

Are there any cities thay aren't unique?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that all cities are unique in their layout .. so it would be better to define what you mean by unique.

I'm actually surprised Boston is not on here. It has a poulation higher than Las Vegas, Miami or Washington, it is older than most of the other cities on the list by a wide margin, and is quite a unique city in several regards...

- First subway system in the US

- Start of the revolutionary war

- World's most complicated (and over-priced) transit project, the big dig

- Oldest and smallest professional baseball stadium, Fenway (Go Sox!)

- Completely unique (and disorganized) city street layout

There are others, but I'm too lazy to type right now... ^_^

Thoughts? :)

Pittsburgh (surprised I said that? lol) could be on the list. Hollywood certainly thinks so. Tinsletown has discovered that Pittsburgh because of its ethnic enclaves rich architectural history and hills that for years prevented the various neighborhoods from homogenizing into one solely "pittsburgh" identity, had a wealth of offerings to the facade obsessed film industry ;)

http://www.pghfilm.org/about/about_filmography.jsp

-The Memphis Courthouse scenes (both interior and exterior) of Silence of the Lambs --can't be found in Memphis but on 5th Avenue in Pittsburgh

-Mothman Prophecies, Pittsburgh Metro stood in for Pt. Pleasant WV and downtown Chicago--that was the Park Building with the gargolyes on it that Richard Gere was looking skyward to, and he meet the chronicler of the mothman in Mellon Square not some park in Chicago

-Dogma had Pittsburgh stand in for Milwaukee, New Jersey and Chicago, it was the US Steel Bldg. and the first Lutheran Cathedral that made the scene for MoogieWorld's boardroom, the New Jersey church was actually in the East Liberty neighborhood of the city.

-The WestWing has filmed in Metro Pittsburgh as a stand in for Indiana.

-Robocop was filmed entirely in Pittsburgh, although if you didn't know better you'd believe it was Detroit.

-10th and Wolf a movie due out this year takes place in Philly but is filmed entirely in Pittsburgh.

And they say in Vegas you can see Paris and New York ;)

outside of my beloved burgh I would have to say NYC just because of its awesome size and scope (and many forget HISTORY) and Las Vegas because they always build them bigger and better out there.

Archived