• Virginia
    • Kentucky
    • West Virginia "see graphic"
    • Missouri "see graphic"
    • Oklahoma "see graphic"

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NC for sure! I got to have it all; a beautiful coast, a vibrant Piedmont and most importantly - the NC Mountains! Exploring these hills is restorative and the rock climbing is world class. I do love visiting all the other States.

Tennessee for me. Lots of varying culture from the flat side of the state to the mountains side of the state.

North Carolina is second. I would be a trader if I didn't at least rank my home state as one of the tops...;)

Then probably Georgia or Virginia...

What makes Oklahoma southern is everything, I think. Building styles, especially the new houses (everything is brick, with a tinge of victorian) weather, hot summers, mild winters, and growth. Low costs of living make it southern, everything points to the south in Oklahoma. A person who says Oklahoma is not southern does not have the right, or expertise, to comment on the Sooner State. Speaking of Sooners, Oklahoma's status as the biggest football state in the union makes it Southern. Oklahoma is 80 percent Southern Baptists, and is the buckle of the bible belt. That makes it Southern as well. Statistically, it is Southern as well. It has a large indian population, confirming it's identity as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i wouldn't go so far to call oklahoma as the buckle of the bible belt. i'm pretty sure that tennessee has that locked down. the southern baptist convention is based here and the churches per capita is enormous. not to mention all of the christian music here.

It seems like some of you "Southerners" like to exclude parts of Florida because generally the whole state has a lot more to offer than any other state in the region. If you exclude Orlando, that means you are excluding St. Cloud, Winter Haven, Mount Dora, etc., all of which are very very Southern culturally. Orlando and Miami themselves may represent "Florida" culture, but regardless, its still Southern.

Other than Florida however, I go with Louisiana. I just love it.

Old stereotypes just don't die. Miami just doesn't attract the old people like it used to. They're all in Hollywood and other parts of Broward county. Even that is getting to expensive and there running off to St. Lucie, Vero Beach and Central Florida. You're more likely to find arroz con pollo than bagels and lox now a days.

Of course that doesn't mean I can't find myself some BBQ, grits and sweet tea when I get the hankering. There's still a lot of Old South down here.

Archived