• Alabama
    • Mississippi
    • Arkansas
    • Virginia
    • Kentucky
    • West Virginia "see graphic"
    • Missouri "see graphic"
    • Oklahoma "see graphic"

Waffle Houses consistantly fail health department inspections.  I refuse to eat in them and in reality their food isn't even that good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought I was the only one who thought that. I don't know what people's obsession is about the Waffle House, but their food is not good at all. Maybe people like it because it's at every other exit on the interstate or because it's the only place that's opened after midnight.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

My vote definatly goes to NC. A state very very diverse with the mountains to the west, coastline to the east. In between are an abundant of many towns and cities lining along I-85 attracting economic growth and prosperity. NC promotes itself southern on tv/radio, your social life, your workplace and when you step out the door. Only in some strange cases, you find oasis' of NC that arent southern like Cary (Centralized Area [for] Relocated Yankees), Pinehurst (my hometown) and Weddington. NC will remain southern and its natural beauties of the state. Its natural beauty cannot be compared to other southern states with its widespread mountain ranges and scenery to its awsome shore line.

I do have a second favorite:

2nd goes to VA: The mountains may not be as high as NC but VA does have nicer mountains statewide in my opinion. Only SW NC has the best mountain scenery.. not too crazy about NW NC (boone area). VA is still southern and like NC generally speaking but losing its touch to the north and is slowly drifting south. The beaches are only in VA Beach and to some extent, the eastern shore so that dosent come close to NC's shoreline.

To the other southern states; yall are ok and tolerable but thats as far as i go :D

I've owned the World Almanac each year for the past 8 years and have yet to come across a statistical category that defines 'southern'.

By that 'map', Dallas, Austin and Houston are southern but San Antonio and Ft Worth are not? Daytona is southern but Orlando is not?

I like Lakelander's description of Jacksonville and he is fully correct. Being so spread out has caused a wide variety to the city. From Carolina like Pine fields to Everglade like swamp and marsh.

Two of the 'defining' characteristics of 'South' are hospitality and tempo. Jacksonville proved its hospitality during the SuperBowl yet its growth pattern is far from slow and will only get faster now with international repute.

I've lived in 4 of the listed states; Texas, Tennessee, Florida and Virginia.

Florida has proven more than once to be the best 'southern' state for me.

TENNESSEE ALSO HAVE 4 MAJOR CITIES WITH DIFFERENT STYLES U CAN'T BEAT MEMPHIS WITH BEALE ST AND THE BLUE AND THE MCDONALDS ARCH BRIDGE. NASHVILLE ALL THE NEW PROJECTS THE TITANS COUNTRY MUSIC THE BEAUTIFUL NASHVILLE BASIN HILLS. KNOXVILLE UT THE SMOKEY MOUNTIANS THE TENN RIVER ALL OF THE HISTORY ...CHATTANOOGA LOOKOUT MOUNTIAN RUBY FALL THE TENN RIVER AND THE CHOO CHOO TRAIN .......GO ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE.

Please refer to this map for the areas considered as part of the south in this poll.

thesouth.jpg

credits to Spartan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok first of all this map is not very good in fact it sucks!

The south doesnt mean what it used to. First of all most southern cities are too mixed to really judge is hard due to any major city has a mixed population and culture so cities that you left out like Tampa, Orlando, OK city, St.Louis, Miami are southern and also who left you to judge whats southern. And i never knew that Virginia was part of the south..... maybe because its not except a small southern portion of the state maybe? Im not sure about W. Virginia but that also is northern.

Heres a map

Orange=southern

Yellow=mixed/maybe/not sure I was honest and actually put i dunno or im not sure

Blue=most likely not part of

southmap.bmp

who left you to judge whats southern. And i never knew that Virginia was part of the south..... maybe because its not except a small southern portion of the state maybe?

Why would you say something like that if you are just going to do the same thing? You can judge what's Southern but he can't? That makes a lot of sense. BTW, Virginia is VERY Southern.

Tell the ppl of St.Louis that because some ppl i know from there say its southern im not sure though

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ST LOUIS IS 100 PERCENT MIDWESTERN ... IT DOESN'T HAVE A SOUTHERN FEELING MOST OF THE BUILDINGS THERE HAVE THIS GLOOMING MIDWEST LOOK TO THEM ALONG WITH THE NEIGHORHOODS THERE.

Archived