• West Virginia "see graphic"
    • Missouri "see graphic"
    • Oklahoma "see graphic"

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is?  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bingo...right on que....I knew when I saw that laughing icon it was a Charlotte poster before I even looked. How did I know? Because I've said this on thread after thread that based on the negative attitude of some Charlotte posters toward Atlanta, it appears Charlotte is in some kind of implied competition with Atlanta for whatever reason thereby making them appear like Atlanta wannabes. "Some" Charlotte posters really can't stand Atlanta and give the impression of jealousy. And don't deny it, it's too evident in some of the replies you guys give on any subject where the word "Atlanta" comes up. It's almost as if they think the only way they can succeed is if Atlanta fails. Frankly Charlotte can and is succeeding on its own so (again) lay off the attitude. Atlanta is the capital of the Southeast...get over it.

By the way....I voted North Carolina as number one as I most certainly DO love North Carolina, Charlotte, the moutains and the beach so I am NOT biased toward Atlanta.

• 2 months later...

North Carolina is just very well-rounded. It may not have the best beaches, the most urban cities, or the tallest mountains, but it's a jack of all trades.

The state has five cities larger than 200,000 with developed central business districts. All of them have a distinct character. In proportion to the entire metro area, more people here live in the core city than in many other cities throughout the US.

There are also a lot of charming small-mid sized college towns (Asheville, Boone, Chapel Hill, Wilmington, and others) that bring a creative culture, and a strong sporting culture to areas of the state that often wouldn't get that in other states.

We just lucked out when they drew the borders I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

north carolina without a doubt, it has everything and is very well balanced. south carolina is a bit to extreme south for my liking, but north carolina has a new south flavour that i really like. It has a great education system, and is one of the most beautiful states in the country.

^ I hear that Seattle and WA in general are phenominally beautiful (in a natural way) and I have a book with many aerials that affirms that!

^ I hear that Seattle and WA in general are phenominally beautiful (in a natural way) and I have a book with many aerials that affirms that!

If you are looking to find the "South", you will find in in Mississippi. There are many other places to find it, but a distilled version is available in Mississippi. I haven't lived there in meny years, but the attraction is still there. It's a beguiling place. Consider it for your travels.

The "South" is not all homogeneous. The old traditional "south" is different in North Carolina than it is in South Carolina and it is different in Mississippi and even different in Louisiana and different in old Florida, so it depends what slight variation of "South" you are looking to find. This of course does not define a state, though.

• 6 months later...

There is no way Oklahoma is in the South. Oklahoma doesn't even come close to being a southern state. It is strickly a middle west state. People in OK talk like they are in the mid-west or from some northern state. They have no southern tradition what so ever. When I was visting OKC and Tulsa it reminded of a Northern City. The south is: old plantation homes, civil war history, SEC football, and southern acents. I would only consider a small part of east Texas to be the South also.

I would only consider a small part of east Texas to be the South also.

The part that touches Oklahoma, no doubt.

While I will agree to there being some cultural things that set Oklahoma apart, it's every bit as southern as Arkansas. Afterall, if there were no state line separating the two, they would all be part of the same territory. Western Oklahoma is the only part of the state I would make an exception for as far as not being southern.

There is no way Oklahoma is in the South. Oklahoma doesn't even come close to being a southern state. It is strickly a middle west state. People in OK talk like they are in the mid-west or from some northern state. They have no southern tradition what so ever. When I was visting OKC and Tulsa it reminded of a Northern City. The south is: old plantation homes, civil war history, SEC football, and southern acents. I would only consider a small part of east Texas to be the South also.

Forgive me if this is harsh, but this post is immature and one must be sixteen to post here. Anyway, I agree that the state of Oklahoma is not a Southern state; if I had to label it, I'd just call it Western. However, states are political institutions, not cultural ones, so different parts do have varying degrees of Southern flavor. I've never been there, but I have heard people from there with Southern accents. I don't doubt that the big cities lack them. Besides only having some quasi-Southern characteristics, the state is too young. The experience of the Civil War really forged the identity of the South.

While I will agree to there being some cultural things that set Oklahoma apart, it's every bit as southern as Arkansas. Afterall, if there were no state line separating the two, they would all be part of the same territory. Western Oklahoma is the only part of the state I would make an exception for as far as not being southern.

If there were no state line separating Arkansas and Louisiana, they would form one state too. :wacko:

Oklahoma is really quite different culturally from Arkansas as a whole. Part of it has to do with the culture of different geographies. About the eastern half of Arkansas is part of the Mississippi Delta region. This is the flat area on the map which runs from southeast Missouri down to the convergence of the Red, Atchafalaya, and Mississippi Rivers in Louisiana. The Delta was originally a heavily forested area of wetlands, but loggers cleared way for vast plantations. The R. E. Lee Wilson plantation in Mississippi County was once the largest plantation in the South (over 60,000 acres). That same county was once the nation's leading producer of cotton. Although it historically has relied on cotton, now soybeans and rice are also big crops. This past year Arkansas led the nation in rice production, and was second in cotton production. South Arkansas, like northern Louisiana is part of the Gulf Coastal Plain. Much of western and northern Arkansas have hilly/mountainous terrain, the foothills of which extend into eastern Oklahoma. Most of Oklahoma is part of the Great Plains, is it not?

Mississippi_Embayment_shaded-relief_1.jpg

Also, the history of its settlement makes Oklahoma a unique case. It developed very late in the history of the United States because of its designation as "Indian Territory." Because of that, it did not achieve statehood until 1907, making it the fifth youngest state. Arkansas, on the other hand, was populated much earlier, soon after the Louisiana Purchase. According to historian Robert Walz, in the first 50 years of Arkansas' existence, half of the state's population came from Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, and another 40 percent came from Missouri, Texas, Illinois, Kentucky, and North Carolina. This basically shows the traditional westward movement of Southerners as more land became available. I imagine that the settlement history of Oklahoma is quite different, as people from all over the country probably moved there during the oil boom.

Exactly. And Louisiana is southern as well.

If it's below the Mason-Dixon line, it's southern. People can try and justify all they want, but why complicate things?

Just b/c a state is below the mason-dixon line doesn't make it a southern a state. Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Louisiana all are very similar in culture.

Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Colorado all are very similar in culture as well so that's why these states are great plain states.

Just b/c a state is below the mason-dixon line doesn't make it a southern a state. Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Louisiana all are very similar in culture.

Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Colorado all are very similar in culture as well so that's why these states are great plain states.

I agree, Oklahoma is not a southern state. There has to be a cut off somewhere and Oklahoma just doesn't come close to meeting the criteria of being a southern state. Great Plain state would be a great fit for Oklahoma.

Bordering Arkansas does not make you a southern state. Oklahoma is not rich in southern history, southern tradition, southern people, or southern weather.

But it's below the Mason-Dixon line, therefore it's southern regardless of culture.

Nope, that doesn't matter. Oklahoma is a Mid-west state or Great plain state not a southern state.

Just joking: but isn't North Louisiana considered to be yankee country. I've heard that, is that true? :lol:

Archived