• Alabama
    • Mississippi
    • Arkansas
    • Virginia
    • Kentucky
    • West Virginia "see graphic"
    • Missouri "see graphic"
    • Oklahoma "see graphic"

That blue area of VA are you kidding me?! I can sure as hell get Bojangles and Hardees up to central Virginia. It would make more sense if there was a blue/yellow striped graphic north of I-64 roughly as well as Hampton Roads. Spartans original map of Virginia shows a better graphic but in my opinion, at least it should have a another color added to the red so it indicates a 50/50 ratio of northerners/southerners north of I-64.

The yellow in WV is pretty much bogus.. you definatly see southerners there.

Central/South Florida.. well.. with its implants of northerners and midwesterners down there.. geographically its SOUTH but culturally, its NOT southern. The panhandle of Florida is definatly southern but once you get roughly 50 miles to I-4.. you start to lose the southern feel and it becomes what we all know of what Florida attracts: implants.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That blue area of VA are you kidding me?! I can sure as hell get Bojangles and Hardees up to central Virginia. It would make more sense if there was a blue/yellow striped graphic north of I-64 roughly as well as Hampton Roads. Spartans original map of Virginia shows a better graphic but in my opinion, at least it should have a another color added to the red so it indicates a 50/50 ratio of northerners/southerners north of I-64.

The yellow in WV is pretty much bogus.. you definatly see southerners there.

Central/South Florida.. well.. with its implants of northerners and midwesterners down there.. geographically its SOUTH but culturally, its NOT southern. The panhandle of Florida is definatly southern but once you get roughly 50 miles to I-4.. you start to lose the southern feel and it becomes what we all know of what Florida attracts: implants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok first of all read first all read i put the yellow is mixed/maybe/not sure I was honest and actually put i dunno or im not sure that kind of means i dont know most likey and that it could be i havent been to WV or know anyone from there so i cant really tell you. Second the south doesnt mean what it used to. First of all most southern cities are too mixed to really judge is hard due to any major city has a mixed population and culture so cities that you left out like Tampa, Orlando, OK city, St.Louis, Miami are southern and also who left you to judge whats southern. If u are in a big city in the South and dont really get to know that many ppl then u wont know if its southern southern doesnt mean having a southern accent being a redneck nowadays its mixed in big cities and yes central florida is southern the more inland u go the more it gets but thats because theres less ppl inland and more variety of ppl on the coast because there is more ppl.

Ok first of all this map is not very good in fact it sucks!

The south doesnt mean what it used to. First of all most southern cities are too mixed to really judge is hard due to any major city has a mixed population and culture so cities that you left out like Tampa, Orlando, OK city, St.Louis, Miami are southern and also who left you to judge whats southern. And i never knew that Virginia was part of the south..... maybe because its not except a small southern portion of the state maybe? Im not sure about W. Virginia but that also could be northern.

Heres a map

Orange=southern

Yellow=mixed/maybe/not sure I was honest and actually put i dunno or im not sure

Blue=not part of

The best southern state is North Carolina, no question. You cannot beat NC's geographic diversity. The best college basketball, stock car racing, universities in the south. I now live in Tennessee and I visited every other state on the list but North Carolina tops them all. But as a North Carolinian, I may be biased. Also high on my list are Tennessee, Virginia, and Florida in that order.

I'd adjust the Missouri portion of the map to include the entire southeast bootheel area. As you head up I-55, the bootheel is as southern as Arkansas or West Tennessee until you get to St. Genevieve County. Cape Girardeau is currently outside the border, but it's definitely a Southern river town on the Mississippi. I used to live 20 miles from there.

Hell, the Dred Scott decision was handed down in St. Louis -- that courthouse still stands near the river. However, I wouldn't consider St. Louis Southern. It's a mix of midwestern, Southern, and even east coast IMHO.

-----------------

Favorite Southern state? That's a tough one. They're all good as far as I'm concerned. Our states are more diverse than our Northern brethren give us credit for.

I'm biased in favor of my home state, Alabama, but if I had to live elsewhere it would be in Florida or coastal Georgia/South Carolina.

Toughie. I voted for Virginia because I do love it there and it needed some votes. But it's a tough call, with Texas, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama... And I guess Florida, which is my home.

I guess my least favorite Southern state is Louisiana, but even then it's only because I always get ticketed for some sort of traffic violation when I drive through there. This is very annoying. Of course, Louisiana also has New Orleans, Lafayette, Cameron Parish, and a host of other totally cool things, not to mention (state troopers aside) really awesome people. In fact, if I had to rank all 50 states, only Michigan, Maryland, and Hawaii might rank in the top among the Southern states. Our neck of the woods is definitely the best.

That part of Florida is my pick to eventually settle down and raise a family, then retire and pass away!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He He...

I was raised in that part of Florida and you won't find nicer people anywhere. I too will probably pass away here. I mean, settle down here, whatever..

Oh yeah...I'll add my two cents...

To us north Florida southernerns, Houston is the only "southern" city in Texas (and that's stretching it a bit). Oklahoma is known for covered wagons and tumbleweeds (definitely not southern) ;) St. Louis - nope. Kentucky - so southern it makes our rednecks look cultured. Virginia - was southern during the civil war and was then flooded with northerners, plus it's too close to DC (which definitely isn't southern). West Virginia - may be "country," but not southern. Arkansas - the entire state is most definitely southern. As for Florida, Northerners have migrated to every corner of the state, but aside from the Miami area, parts of Orlando, and Naples, the southern culture is obvious. Just find a local restaraunt and talk with one of the locals. Oh, order a sweet tea while your there. B)

I've traveled throughout the south, and Bama, SC, and NC are gorgeous. But, due to the great weather, a stong economy, diversity, great college football, and countless other factors, I don't see myself leaving FL. Go Gators!

To us north Florida southernerns, Houston is the only "southern" city in Texas (and that's stretching it a bit).
Visit it. Then you'll see that Houston is a very southern city.

As for Florida, Northerners have migrated to every corner of the state, but aside from the Miami area, parts of Orlando, and Naples, the southern culture is obvious. Just find a local restaraunt and talk with one of the locals. Oh, order a sweet tea while your there.

You could say the same for Texas. Especially East Texas :D

Yeah yeah.....at least we got ya beat in men's basketball this year.  SEC Champs baby!!!  I got nothing but love for UT though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, we suck in men's basketball. haha. i'll admit i have nothin but love for florida too. it wouldn't be the same without ya'll. i'm glad you have urban meyer now, although the sec is a scary place again with ut, georgia, florida (with urban meyer) and south carolina (with the dreaded steve "the visor" spurrier). the eastern division is going to be a war. congrats on the championship, ya'll really trashed uk.

I can see why you would doubt it. But Dallas has a lot of southern influence and culture in it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the line really isn't clear cut. The couple of times I visited Dallas, I thought it seemed more like a midwest city than a southern city, though there was a subtle southern influence.

The whole "everything is bigger and better in Texas" attitude is defintely not southern. That's an attitude that Texan's understand but everyone else just shrugs their shoulders at.

To be honest, we here in North Florida consider the states that have colleges in the SEC to be the only southern states, plus North Carolina. This certainly leaves out many areas that still have southern culture, but the line has to be drawn somewhere (I guess it really doesn't, but it's fun to discuss.) It's funny that the South's love of college football influences its perception of cultural boundries.

To be honest, we here in North Florida consider the states that have colleges in the SEC to be the only southern states, plus North Carolina.  This certainly leaves out many areas that still have southern culture, but the line has to be drawn somewhere (I guess it really doesn't, but it's fun to discuss.)  It's funny that the South's love of college football influences its perception of cultural boundries.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've always thought the same thing. haha

Im kind of surprised that Tennesse and NC are in the lead.I didnt expect that.I didnt vote for them I voted for Florida,but thats cause i havent been to NC or TN.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You must be new, or else you would know that those polls are absolutely meaningless. While NC and TN are fine states, this forum is lousy with their boosters (probably more NC than anywhere else). I guess the rest of us have jobs.

Tennessee is so great cause it has three different terrains, plains, Hills, the Mountains. SC and NC are great cause they got Mountains and Oceans. Im gonna get killed for saying this but i didnt vote for Flordia cause the beaches and swamps get old after a while.

Tennessee is so great cause it has three different terrains, plains, Hills, the Mountains. SC and NC are great cause they got Mountains and Oceans. Im gonna get killed for saying this but i didnt vote for Flordia cause the beaches and swamps get old after a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you're so right brewer. i've grown up in all three of these parts of tennessee (my dad is from jackson, my mom is from knoxville and i'm from nashville). the only thing we're really missing is the ocean, and we're within a day's drive from it and don't even have to worry about hurricanes ;)

You must be new, or else you would know that those polls are absolutely meaningless.  While NC and TN are fine states, this forum is lousy with their boosters (probably more NC than anywhere else).  I guess the rest of us have jobs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Archived