Guest donaltopablo

Guest donaltopablo

This is pretty damn funny to me:

image_202854.jpg

Fox billboard sticks it to CNN again

By TONY WILBERT

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

JOEY IVANSCO / AJC

Fox's new message on a billboard across from CNN includes the line "Brought to You by Your Friends at Fox News."

Paula Zahn's new show on CNN is performing so poorly that even archrival Fox wants CNN to bring back Connie Chung.

At least that's what a comical new billboard Fox erected late Tuesday catty-cornered to CNN Center says.

"Come Home Connie. CNN Needs You," the billboard reads. "Brought to You by Your Friends at Fox News."

"We thought this would lift the morale and bring a few smiles to the faces of the CNN staffers in Atlanta," Fox News spokeswoman Irena Briganti said Wednesday.

CNN officials were not immediately available for comment.

CNN canceled "Connie Chung Tonight" in March, prompting Chung to leave the Atlanta-based network. The network canceled the show, which did relatively well in the ratings but took flak for its tabloid style.

CNN replaced the show with one that featured Zahn and was designed to to sharpen CNN's hard-news focus. Last month, the show, which airs at 8 p.m., was relaunched as "Paula Zahn Now."

But the show's ratings have been disappointing.

During "Paula Zahn Now's" first month on the air, the number of viewers has fallen about 19 percent from the time slot a year ago, when Chung's program was airing. Zahn's show drew an average of 575,000 viewers during its first four weeks on the air.

The O'Reilly Factor, hosted by Bill O'Reilly, dominated the 8 p.m. cable news time slot.

Though the billboard's tone is meant to be comical, the message should hit a nerve at CNN, which has bristled at its declining ratings.

The Fox billboard at Centennial Olympic Park Drive and Marietta Street has featured several messages during the past several years, including ones welcoming Greta Van Susteren, who left CNN for Fox in December 2001.

Other messages on the billboard have promoted the morning show "Fox and Friends" and announced Fox's ascent to the No. 1 position in cable news.

In Manhattan, CNN has erected a billboard of its own across from Fox News. In February, CNN's billboard featured a smiling Paula Zahn and read, "Real News Makes the Difference."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

I watch a little of both, but probably enjoy Fox's news programs a little better due to format. I do like many of the CNN Presents shows though, that is certainly something I will watch.

I'm not sure I can say I care much for Larry King.

Eh, I watch Fox News on the weekends, that is, I've been known to. That's only when I don't have a better source, i.e. I'm doing the dishes, and there's a t.v. in our kitchen. CNBC is always showing useless infomercials on the weekends, and I don't usually watch it during the schoolyear because I can't see it during the market hours. I prefer MSNBC myself. I refuse to watch CNN. I really can't stand them at all, and really, Wolf Blitzer and Larry King. I mean, sure, Chris Matthews is loud, but at least he isn't outright irritating and hasn't gone through seven marriages! As for the BBC, I don't really trust them. I used to, but lately, they just don't seem the same, though SKY News has kept up a better job of reporting, I hear. "Free Speech TV"? Sounds like another badly named liberal network masquerading as "objecitve."

When I was in Spain they had BBC News Channel over there and I loved it, they also had SKY News which was pretty good as well. Interestingly, at the time, SKY would broadcast the CBS Evening News late at night, but this was back in 1993. Since SKY is owned by NEWS Corp now, if they still boradcast some US News program, I'm sure it is some FOX News product.

BBC News is always very indepth and you get a good understanding of not just what happened, but what casued it to happen. With the American news outlets, they are so obsessed with covering breaking news that they hardly ever give stories the in depth attention they need. Watching American news is like eating at McDonalds...its cheap, fast, and makes you want to barf.

this talking head news is bullcrap. I watch mainly Fox and CNN Headline News...which has thankfully recovered from the mistakes it made 2 years ago in its design. CNN just got way too complacent, so Fox upstaged them.

and I don't really watch the O'Reilly Factor for news, but for humour. and I hate Sean Hannity but Alan Colmes is cool.

the only entertaining reporter on CNN's that crazy British guy...he should have his own show. and Anderson Cooper.

-

• 6 months later...

I gernerally watch Fox News. Sean Hannity is great :) O'Reilly I have to be in the mood for, but he is tolerable. I watch CNN on occasion. It is my opinion that Fox is no more slanted to the right than CNN is to left.

MSNBC is just horrid liberal trash. Sorry if I've offended someone, but its true.

More often than not I will watch news based on what they are talking about. For example, I could care less about Laci Peterson and that mess. Yeah, I'm sorry it happened, but really, how does something that happened to one woman in CA really effect me all the way over in SC. So I just find some other news source that isn't talking about that. There are several other court cases that I don't are about as well as other news. I just try to find who is talking about interesting stuff.

If I want to watch a news channel it's definitely CNN. Not that I'm a die-hard fan of CNN, it's what I'm familiar with. Fox news is despicable. Highly biased, glamour shot style of trash news & provider of endless commercials for Fox stations - do I really care what's going on American Idol? Embarrising that a news channel as tasteless & as biased is the number one news channel in the US.

CNN quality has gone way down over the years. They need to go back to doing news and stop apeing Fox and MSNBC. I was stuck on MSNBC for a while, but they're no better than Fox anymore. Trash I'll give you, but if you think that's liberal then... wait, you're from SC, I get it. I tend to watch Fox and run it through the party line filter to try to find out what's going on. I hate talking heads though. When did news switch from reporters reporting on something to "analysts" going on about press releases?

I wish we got BBC News or SKY News here...it is much better than all of the US Cable News Oultets.

Uptown living wrote:

I wish we got BBC News or SKY News here...it is much better than all of the US Cable News Oultets.
Sky is FOXNews England/Europe Rupy Murdoch has both.

Also! There have been numerous "in your face"s on that billboard through the years and Fox is trying to get a new one up!

http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/dsp/se...archFor=foxnews

Fox Threatens to Sue Co. Over Billboard

Fri May 7, 8:34 AM ET

Guest donaltopablo

The majority of news you hear from mainstream sources comes from Reuters or Associated Press anyway. Next time you read and article, look for it at the very top or bottom, you might be surprised to know that most news sources, including international, source their stories from those two places.

Whether they play up certain aspects, paraphrase a certain way, or leave pieces out is generally the biggest difference.

Personally, I like to read the same story for multiple sources, conservative, liberal, mainstream, and independent. Be careful though, even some well known news sources are known for making up stories and passing on hear say as factual.

Archived