Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

21 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I moved to Charlotte 12 years ago and don't remember those. I know there is CleanEatz in Steele Creek area but they freeze their food. Get Fit Foods does not. I think the population of Charlotte has changed a lot over the last 10 years and they are more health conscious. These concepts are doing extremely well in Denver, California and Northern states. I'm sure they can succeed now in Charlotte.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they succeed. It's just that I was literally having that conversation with someone the day you posted. Just surprised to see a round 2.

The 2 tallest newest buildings on west coast opened in LA and San Francisco this month. Wilshire Grand is the tallest on the west coast and the new 2nd tallest is the Salesforce Tower in San Fran both topping the US Bank Bldg in LA with its glass slide on the top level. http://www.costar.com/News/Article/Two-Tallest-Buildings-On-West-Coast-Making-Their-Debut-in-LA-San-Francisco/192154

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This Seattle newspaper article lists cities with cranes. Where does Charlotte fit into this?

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-has-most-cranes-in-the-country-for-2nd-year-in-a-row-and-lead-is-growing/

It appears to me that the cities chosen for the graphic are not in any way a ranking. It is a selection of cities of interest, I guess.

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

This Seattle newspaper article lists cities with cranes. Where does Charlotte fit into this?

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-has-most-cranes-in-the-country-for-2nd-year-in-a-row-and-lead-is-growing/

It appears to me that the cities chosen for the graphic are not in any way a ranking. It is a selection of cities of interest, I guess.

So, where would we rank on that map if we had been included?

Yes I think that list is of cities of interest not a true list. Nashville seems to have more cranes than Charlotte does but I noticed they use high rise cranes on some buildings that we wouldnt use them on. Seattle is definitely hot right now as JLL said they absorbed more office space than other city year to date. And this "list" does not include Dallas or Houston or Atlanta or Miami. 

• Like 1

This number-of-cranes question comes up every so often.  A crane layer could be added to the Development Map on this site.  Or we could have a totally separate map that anyone/everyone can edit: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1stPo4OgYelaaEDP5Ceyg1rTxajE&usp=sharing

Edit: Some people don't have access to drive.google.com, so this MIGHT work to get to the (editable) map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1stPo4OgYelaaEDP5Ceyg1rTxajE&ll=35.14600459437733%2C-80.8449152&z=12

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

Thought some might like this video. It talks about the cost of free parking, parking minimums required by cities, and how that shapes our cities. While parking lots are slowly disappearing, especially in uptown, would it be possible to retrofit parking lots of more suburban areas with buildings (retail, townhomes, offices)? For example, most or all of UCity. Also isn't the new zoning laws reworking suppose to help correct some of the parking minimums we have?

https://youtu.be/Akm7ik-H_7U

2 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Thought some might like this video. It talks about the cost of free parking, parking minimums required by cities, and how that shapes our cities. While parking lots are slowly disappearing, especially in uptown, would it be possible to retrofit parking lots of more suburban areas with buildings (retail, townhomes, offices)? For example, most or all of UCity. Also isn't the new zoning laws reworking suppose to help correct some of the parking minimums we have?

https://youtu.be/Akm7ik-H_7U

Yes, but the discussion has turned into one of parking "maximum" for TOD areas. Many developers are choosing to build far more than the minimum. 

On 7/15/2017 at 0:02 AM, NCMike1990 said:

After looking over this historical aerial imagery, I'm amazed at how many buildings/neighborhoods Charlotte lost during the '60s-'70s. There is a slider tool that allows you to compare two years (i.e. 1965 vs 1978), which is a period where the city went crazy in demolishing so many homes and buildings around the CBD.

We still have the same attitude. Buildings don't just automatically become old and beautiful or full of character. First they have to be 30 or 40 years old and awkwardly out of style for a while. We need to learn how to leave things alone for a while or just give a little face lift.

I know I'm in the minority, though. For example, I think Memorial Stadium is beautiful. All that stone! But I realize it's inconvenient to progress (which I'm all about - just not the extreme cost we pay here).

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

For all you skyline fans, I had this view of Duke's big brother from my hotel.  This from a couple days back where the mid day sun/smog made way to a rain storm.  Hung around Shanghai to witness record high temps where it regularly felt like 120 degrees and humid during the day.

IMG_20170723_135948.jpg

What always blows my mind about Shanghai and specifically the scrapers in Pudong is that the Jin Mao, which looks tiny next to SWFC & Shanghai Tower....absolutely would dwarf BOA, by 500 feet.  Incredible skyline.  Hope you enjoyed your trip!

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

What always blows my mind about Shanghai and specifically the scrapers in Pudong is that the Jin Mao, which looks tiny next to SWFC & Shanghai Tower....absolutely would dwarf BOA, by 500 feet.  Incredible skyline.  Hope you enjoyed your trip!

BOA would be the 10th tallest in Shanghai. Guangzhou and Shenzhen are even more ridiculous, it'd be 13th and 15th, respectively.

• Like 1

Since I got you talking Asia, here's the tallest in Shenzhen from my hotel (sorry for the quality it rained the entire three days I was there) :) and for good measure Taipei 101 the former world's tallest looking small in the distance.  Work trip took me to some cool places from a super tall building perspective.

IMG_20170718_093132-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG_20170720_204555_526.jpg

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, kermit said:

anyone else having issues getting logged off of UP several times a day? (in the past I only got unintentionally logged off less than once a month)

I have not. What I have had is that the tab is constantly refreshing and using up a ton of my CPU.

2 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Since I got you talking Asia, here's the tallest in Shenzhen from my hotel (sorry for the quality it rained the entire three days I was there) :) and for good measure Taipei 101 the former world's tallest looking small in the distance.  Work trip took me to some cool places from a super tall building perspective.

IMG_20170718_093132-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG_20170720_204555_526.jpg

Ping An is incredible.  It's a damn shame they didn't keep the spire that was in the renderings.  That thing would have gone from World Class to timeless, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, tarwater said:

I went to Greenville, SC for the first time to see the eclipse. It was great, but possibly even better was seeing how totally awesome Greenville's downtown is. I found it very walkable with many mixed use spaces, art galleries, restaurants, boutiques. Falls Park was especially cool. I left the town feeling quite envious...

I came here to say the same thing. I decided to go to Downtown Greenville after three eclipse to see what all the buzz was about. 

That place is incredibly charming. I had to sit down for a minute and pray about my envy issues. I left after glancing at the water because I decided that I'm going to go back and have a nice little mini-vacation for some real exploring.

I'm still a little mad about it.....

Greenville really benefits from not having their city center dominated by corporations. Whereas our city center is really a vertical office park for large banks, etc... Greenville is full of a diverse mix of shops, services, and restaurants. It really helps they don't have a giant lobby every block. Their buildings are dramatically shorter as a result though and downtown is more like an outdoor mall / lifestyle center with a few companies (but not many). Greenville's major employers are largely in sprawling suburban office parks and manufacturing facilities rather than skyscrapers downtown, reflecting how their economy has been built around advanced manufacturing, whereas we are more service industry based. It also shows how more skyscrapers (vertical office parks), don't necessarily mean more people on the streets at night and weekends. 

Hence our downtown is really BofA's, Wells Fargo, Duke, etc... office park and built to their liking to keep their employees in the bubble, whereas Greenville's downtown is built for the shop merchant and pedestrian looking for a night on the town.

Edited by CLT2014