Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

13 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Recently just purchased a new DSLR and remembered from various threads about photography Uptown.  People having problems in Romare with the Park Officials when using a Tri-pod or having "professional" looking equipment.  Or taking photos of BOAC (from the outside).  Going to the top of parking decks, etc...Are these real laws that are enforced or are these one-off situations?

I believe the challenging line is that commercial activity of any type must be permitted. I think there is an (incorrect) assumption that DSLRs/Tripods signal that someone is engaged in professional photography, which would require a permit from Parks&Rec. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sears is clearly near the end of the line. After doing some shopping for some masonry bits last week I am now surrounded by banner adds on UP for Sears which show cut prices on tools and semi-naked women? I honestly did not shop for naked women (or naked woman accessories) last week.

sears ad.jpg

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this in the Raleigh thread (someone was looking for a high spot to propose in DT Raleigh with a view) and it just made me appreciate all the rooftops bars/restaurants available for us in CLT.  However, when do you guys think (if) we will ever get a real dedicated observatory in one of our towers?  Fahrenheit, Kimpton, Bentleys, Le M, new Epicentre hotel, etc…they’re all great, but I want taller options (>30 floors).  I know there are private rooftop locations like the 51st lounge at the Vue, top area of the Museum Tower, and Ascent for examples.  I’ve been to those spots and it’s really really incredible and I think Charlotte is big/dense enough to have a dedicated spot for the public to have access to.  Ideally, would like if BOA (post 9/11 issues) or the Hearst, or Duke (which has a fantastic atrium up there) could somehow convert some space.  Could be a nice little tourist attraction with a gift shop of Charlotte stuff too.  Also, mentioned a long time ago I think…wasn’t Charlotte City Club looking to relocate?  That would be a cool spot too. 

• Like 2

If you do not know (rockets do not sit well in Urban settings...)

SpaceX will be attempting its inaugural launch of the Falcon Heavy "the most powerful operational rocket in the world by a factor of two" - watch live here

DVXbp4NUMAAdXcA.jpg:large

Couple things of note:

• Side boosters  (2 of the 3 sticks) are re-used - i.e. they have launched on paid missions in the past.
  • They will attempt fairing recovery with a crazy ship - first time I believe for SpaceX
  • They will attempt to land all 3 boosters
    • the 2 outside boosters back at Cape Caneveral
    • the center booster on a drone ship called "Of Course I Still Love You"

uTNB3qL.jpg

and the fairing recovery ship MR STEVEN:

WhlUkiR.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

From the recent edition of Chief Executive Magazine.  Charlotte is still a hot spot for the under 30 crowd.  I typically like to see the positive stats from publications like this which is geared towards the decision makers in companies.   Forbes, Times, and USA Today, you can that those stats with a grain of salt.  

https://chiefexecutive.net/new-opportunity-boomtowns/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rancenc said:

From the recent edition of Chief Executive Magazine.  Charlotte is still a hot spot for the under 30 crowd.  I typically like to see the positive stats from publications like this which is geared towards the decision makers in companies.   Forbes, Times, and USA Today, you can that those stats with a grain of salt.  

https://chiefexecutive.net/new-opportunity-boomtowns/

I would repost this also in good news or charlotte perception nationwide.  This was a great article and shows Charlotte's strengths.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, teeg said:

Which parcel?  This is intriguing. 

false alarm. The person asking me about it got zoning and Land Use designations confused (my apologies for not checking that first).

Actual zoning of the parcel is R-3

(I'll slink away embarrassed now)

28 minutes ago, kermit said:

false alarm. The person asking me about it got zoning and Land Use designations confused (my apologies for not checking that first).

Actual zoning of the parcel is R-3

(I'll slink away embarrassed now)

Gotcha.  I now recall seeing R100 on property tax stuff.    

Gobée dockless bikes withdraws from France. It was in several cities from last Fall but unreliable bikes, and teens vandalising the bikes, often for social media entertainment made the business a failure. Ofo and Mobike still there.

https://www.lesechos.fr/industrie-services/tourisme-transport/0301344060167-gobeebike-retire-ses-velos-flottants-du-marche-francais-2156286.php#xtor=RSS37

Dockless, in French translates as free floating.

Articles going around the internet saying studies are showing Uber and Lyft increase congestion rather than decrease congestion. Rather than pulling drivers out of their private auto, the two ride sharing services are taking share from transit agencies. Instead of riding the subway back after a night out, people are choosing to take an Uber. 

"And a survey released in October of more than 4,000 adults in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle and Washington, D.C., also concluded that 49 to 61 percent of ride-hailing trips would have not been made at all — or instead by walking, biking or public transit — if the option didn't exist."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/bluesky/technology/ct-uber-lyft-congestion-20180225-story.html

https://www.sfgate.com/business/technology/article/uber-lyft-traffic-congestion-study-boston-sf-12707264.php

"In San Francisco, a study released in June found that on a typical weekday, ride-hailing drivers make more than 170,000 vehicle trips, about 12 times the number of taxi trips, and that the trips are concentrated in the densest and most congested parts of the city. A report released this month by San Francisco's Bay Area Rapid Transit system found ridership down disproportionately on weekends and off-peak hours, in part citing ride-hailing trips."

OT, but I love this graphic. It quickly conveys to folks what the major problems are.

One big takeaway is that, even if we ignore the far-flung suburbs, we are still not developing in the most ideally healthy way. Even if we get rid of the office parks, our new solution is still hyper-developing one central location in each region (the "downtown"). Do you think we'll ever reach the ideal again?

28167966_2034172823274649_9118942857431552564_n.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

Fat’ alligator found dead in Catawba River outside Charlotte. How did it get there?

5-foot “fat” alligator was found floating dead in the Catawba River south of Charlotte near Belmont Sunday afternoon.

Alligators aren’t native to Western North Carolina, which is one of several reasons why state biologists have taken the corpse for a necropsy. The cause of death is also a mystery, but wildlife biologists noticed the reptile was a bit pudgy. That extra weight suggests to them it may have been someone’s well-fed pet before meeting its demise.

The alligator was found by a fisherman identified as Antonio Figueroa, according to the Observer’s news partner WBTV. He was fishing at Kevin Loftin Riverfront Park near Belmont when he saw the reptile. Multiple photos of the dead gator were posted on Facebook Sunday, reported WBTV.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article202434539.html#emlnl=Afternoon_Newsletter

• Haha 1

When the NCGA pulled the rug out from under North Carolina's film and tv industry, Georgia rushed in to capitalize on the politically motivated move.  NC should return the favor and offer Delta (and other airlines) a big break on jet fuel taxes.  (Love you, mean it, Georgia)

Edited by Phillydog

7 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

When the NCGA pulled the rug out from under North Carolina's film and tv industry, Georgia rushed in to capitalize on the politically motivated move.  NC should return the favor and offer Delta (and other airlines) a big break on jet fuel taxes.  (Love you, mean it, Georgia)

IIRC the NCGA instituted a jet fuel tax break for American a year or two ago.  

^^^actually the fuel tax break was eliminated in GA back in 2015 and this was an attempt to give it back to Delta.  Delta has not moved anything out of ATL since 2015.  

However NC did just start a fuel tax break and that mainly benefits American Airlines.  GA is racing to lower their income tax rates to be more competitive with NC

• Like 1