Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

As I mentioned in a different thread, I do uber part time and meet people from everywhere who are visiting or living here which I enjoy.  Just the other day I met a mother and her daughters who were visiting from Milwaukee.  I asked her why they chose Charlotte and she said “we just love traveling and wanted to see a new cool place”.  I feel that we are becoming more and more touristy (not a bad thing at all).  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Temeteron said:

As I mentioned in a different thread, I do uber part time and meet people from everywhere who are visiting or living here which I enjoy.  Just the other day I met a mother and her daughters who were visiting from Milwaukee.  I asked her why they chose Charlotte and she said “we just love traveling and wanted to see a new cool place”.  I feel that we are becoming more and more touristy (not a bad thing at all).  

How cool that someone from Milwaukee would pick Charlotte! That's the kind of vacation I like to do. Go somewhere really different just to experience the people, food, climate, and culture.

• Like 1

Question: are there any modern examples of cities that had huge districts like South End pop up with all wood-built construction that has aged 20-30 years?

If so, how do these districts age? And more to the point what varying factors if any are the most important to determine the outcome? 

W the fact that South End has boomed in so small a time I wonder how to expect building quality to weather into the future as a district.

• Like 1

^ There are a bunch of places that have clusters of stick built apartments from the 70s, 80s and 90s. NE Atlanta (around Brookhaven) is the first to come to mind but Central Avenue around Albemarle and University City also offer examples. 

For the most part they age badly (see Central Avenue) although diligent maintenance can extend their limited lifespan (see Brookhaven) -- this decision is mostly driven by the change in rents at the complex, which is largely a product of the neighborhoods demographic change.

I would hesitate to say that any suburban example tells us much about the future of Southend. The vast majority of these stickbuilt apartments are put up in areas that have relatively low land values, so their are not many alternative uses for the land (see the Eastland mall drama). Southend, on the other hand, is rapidly becoming a Class A office market and a retail center and Zoning should allow for the conversion of residential space to commercial. Proximity to Uptown and transit should keep a solid floor on land values (unlike Eastland). I would expect that the Southend stick-built will only last as long as owners are generating a decent return, as soon as rents begin to fall (or life-cycle maintenance costs creep up) the multi-family projects will get scraped and replaced with something that uses the expensive land more intensively.

Spectrum Southend is now pushing 15 years old, when I biked past on Saturday It looked to be aging pretty well -- but its relatively dense. I gotta think that a project like Junction 420 (whatever that number is) has less than a decade to survive in a Southend where office and retail developers are paying serious $$$ for dirt.

image.png

Edited by kermit

On 8/27/2018 at 4:03 PM, kermit said:

Highly recommended short read:

”The Unbearable Sameness of Cities”

https://www.urbanophile.com/2018/08/27/the-unbearable-sameness-of-cities/

EDIT: There is nothing particularly unique about Nashville's meat and threes either.

Interesting read, thank you. I have only just started the piece. Seems like despite the generic outcomes I’d still rather choose a city than the unbearable sameness of rural life, which I fear suffers the same affliction.

At least with cities you have the opportunity due to sheer numbers to meet someone else who shares a favorable outlook, while you might be hard pressed to find a peer in a far less densely populated space. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 6:39 PM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

In Dallas this weekend and walking around downtown found a city with narrower sidewalks with unburied power lines.  They do however seem to have way more scooters but the cavernous streets and narrow sidewalks I feel way less safe than in Charlotte.

I found the curbs in downtown Dallas to be very uneven and quite tall compared to the QC.  I was walking around with my blind cousin and there was no rhyme or reason for all the differing curb heights.    He has since moved here and he does think our uptown area is more handicapped friendly.  

• Like 2

Continuing saga the Millennium tower in San Fran now a window has  cracked because of the tilt and sinking of this 58 story tower.   Now a drone inspecting the window that cracked crashed into another tower.   I would not want to live or work or walk by within a block of this tower.

https://www.bisnow.com/san-francisco/news/multifamily/cracked-window-drone-crash-latest-in-tilting-millennium-towers-saga-92644?be=kj%40charlottehomes.com&email=kj%40charlottehomes.com&utm_source=MorningBrief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180917_national_morningbrief

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Continuing saga the Millennium tower in San Fran now a window has  cracked because of the tilt and sinking of this 58 story tower.   Now a drone inspecting the window that cracked crashed into another tower.   I would not want to live or work or walk by within a block of this tower.

https://www.bisnow.com/san-francisco/news/multifamily/cracked-window-drone-crash-latest-in-tilting-millennium-towers-saga-92644?be=kj%40charlottehomes.com&email=kj%40charlottehomes.com&utm_source=MorningBrief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180917_national_morningbrief

On April 17, 1998, the San Francisco Chronicle lamented: "Why is BoA moving its headquarters from glorious San Francisco to 'soulless' Charlotte after its merger with NationsBank?"

Now Charlotte may finally have an answer to the Chronicle's long-pending rhetorical question.  

Why, San Fran, BofA execs are leaving to keep 58 story penthouse pads from falling out of the sky onto their noggins! 

Or as Glinda the Good Witch might have sweetly said  -  "Oh rubbish, San Fran! You have no power here.  Begone before somebody drops a house on you too!" 

Image result for image of wizard of oz house falling on witch scene       

Edited by QCxpat
  • Haha 2

Someone in this area started this site for somewhere I saw an address and it was in the ring city of Concord! NC at afton ridge I am guessing in a private mailbox or something.  Charlotte Nashville and a few other cities like Greenville Spartanburg are the busiest.  But there is some activity spread across the country in Austin TX but poor Houston and DFW not so much.  

I only discovered this site in Feb. 2016 so I am basically a newbie compared to some others like @ricky_davis_fan_21

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JBS said:

Not really sure where to put this but I found it interesting and maybe someone else will also.  Looking at the full Urban Planet site, the Charlotte board alone has more posts than any country outside the US and any state in the US.  It is by far the most vibrant community on UP (unless I'm missing something).  Anyone know why that is?  I found this board by accident (though I had been looking for something like it for years and was thrilled when I stumbled upon it).  Curious how others came upon it and why the Charlotte community is the most active.  Also, who started UP and where are they based?  Thanks.

paging @Neo

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

How To Contact Us
Should you have other questions or concerns about these privacy policies, please send us an email at [email protected]. All policies of UrbanPlanet Institute LLC are governed under the laws of the United States of America and the laws of the state of North Carolina.

UrbanPlanet.org, 6012 Bayfield Parkway, Ste 314, Concord, North Carolina, 28027

UP is locally based another global tech company based here!

• Like 3

I'm happy to hear that everyone enjoys it here! I'm not sure I moderate much...we have a great group here! Users and moderators seem to keep everyone else in check which is a bit unique. I started the site back in 2005...back then it was shortly ran under the name SkyScraperAmerica I believe. I should probably know that with 100% certainty but the older I get the more I have to pick and choose the information that I choose to hold on to. I am local to the Charlotte area...born and raised (I did spend a small stent in Chicago after graduating high school).

About Charlotte being the most active...this is true but we also have a few other active cities here. It isn't that I don't want other areas to grow in traffic, but I honestly just don't have the time with my day job and other duties and hobbies to make it work. In some ways I almost want to keep this site a secret just so things are kept civil...but even with the current size (I would wager that we're the largest Charlotte forum on the web...or at least the one with the highest quality content), everyone has (mostly) remained very civil throughout our growth.

I really never expected this site to take off like it did. I mainly just wanted a place that didn't have all of the hoopla that you see on other sites and I'm extremely proud that we have that here. It isn't by my doing but by the cumulative effort of everyone here to not put up with junk. Everyone give the person next to you a round of applause! :tw_smile:

I'm happy to hear that everyone enjoys it here! I'm not sure I moderate much...we have a great group here! Users and moderators seem to keep everyone else in check which is a bit unique. I started the site back in 2005...back then it was shortly ran under the name SkyScraperAmerica I believe. I should probably know that with 100% certainty but the older I get the more I have to pick and choose the information that I choose to hold on to. I am local to the Charlotte area...born and raised (I did spend a small stent in Chicago after graduating high school).

About Charlotte being the most active...this is true but we also have a few other active cities here. It isn't that I don't want other areas to grow in traffic, but I honestly just don't have the time with my day job and other duties and hobbies to make it work. In some ways I almost want to keep this site a secret just so things are kept civil...but even with the current size (I would wager that we're the largest Charlotte forum on the web...or at least the one with the highest quality content), everyone has (mostly) remained very civil throughout our growth.

I really never expected this site to take off like it did. I mainly just wanted a place that didn't have all of the hoopla that you see on other sites and I'm extremely proud that we have that here. It isn't by my doing but by the cumulative effort of everyone here to not put up with junk. Everyone give the person next to you a round of applause! tw_smile.png

Thank you Neo, for this amazing platform, and allowing me back on this platform despite my adolescent transgressions. 16-17 years, I’ve posted in this site, longer than I’ve been with my wife. About as long as I could drive. My high school girlfriend would get annoyed about my UP time, now my wife puts up with it lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk