Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

53 minutes ago, Dale said:

Charlotte is out of the bag. My wife and I belong to one of those new friend groups. I’d venture that fully 90% are from NY.

Only the over-stimulated are bored with Charlotte.

Or those that are unemployed!! I have 40-50 hours of week tied up for work along with about 50-56 hours of sleep!!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 1:02 PM, rancenc said:

Or those that are unemployed!! I have 40-50 hours of week tied up for work along with about 50-56 hours of sleep!!

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Not to mention UP time LOL for all of us.   

My atlanta friends who live in the far flung suburbs rarely go into the city,  my friends by the ocean  don't have time to go to the beach  the struggle is real we all get the same time in the day. 

Sometimes my partner and I wonder what the point of living close to cool things is if we're: 1) not single, 2) not childless, 3) not swimming in it, 4) damn busy staying alive...

But then I remember why it's worth it when we reluctantly end up anywhere more than a couple miles away from Uptown and we sit in arterial traffic. I love the moderately-dispersed traffic around the city.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2019 at 9:33 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

But then I remember why it's worth it when we reluctantly end up anywhere more than a couple miles away from Uptown and we sit in arterial traffic. I love the moderately-dispersed traffic around the city.

I agree, this is truly an underrated pleasure. Every time I need to drive out to Matthews or Ballantyne or North of 85 I am genuinely appalled by the traffic -- its very easy to forget its there when you aren't in it every day.

edit: Ballantyne 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, elrodvt said:

^Was that a racist remark against Indian Continent folks? I know you didn't mean that but it's a pretty bad nickname imho. Is that used a lot? 

Not intended as such. Its been used here a bit over the past few years.

I never considered the term to be any more offensive than "Hollywood" (in that it is often used to refer to things that look good on the surface but...) I didn't use the term thinking that there are an unusual number of people from the subcontinent in Ballantyne (I have no idea if that is the case, my apologies if there are).

Having said all that, I am very comfortable using pejoratives to label suburbanites regardless of their national origin.

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1

"Having said all that, I am very comfortable using pejoratives to label suburbanites regardless of their national origin."   LOL

I guess the standard is would someone call it that at a table of people with that ethnicity.  "I could hear a pin drop after". My wife tells me I do this far too often. 

Edited by elrodvt

15 hours ago, kermit said:

I didn't use the term thinking that there are an unusual number of people from the subcontinent in Ballantyne (I have no idea if that is the case, my apologies if there are).

Ballantyne has one of the largest Indian populations in the state, at 9.1% of zip 28277's population. The 6,400 Indians in Ballantyne is 7.5% of the entire Indian population in the state of North Carolina (which is only .8% Indian).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Ballantyne has one of the largest Indian populations in the state, at 9.1% of zip 28277's population. The 6,400 Indians in Ballantyne is 7.5% of the entire Indian population in the state of North Carolina (which is only .8% Indian).

My apologies, I will not use the label anymore.

I had no idea this was the case, I gotta get out more...

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

This was surprising, but sounds like they are on the road to rectifying the issue.  Owner calls it a "misunderstanding" 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/11/charlotte-restaurateur-racks-up-360k-in-tax-liens.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Charlotte restaurateur racks up $360K in tax liens, says payments made 

Several Charlotte restaurants owned by Deedee Mills face numerous federal and state tax liens. The Mayobird, The Summit Room — both at 1531 East Blvd.— along with The Packhouse at 500 E. Morehead owe nearly $360,000 total in unpaid taxes, according to state and federal public records.

That breaks down to $196,551 in federal tax liens against The Packhouse LLC and The Mayobird LLC. Mills says she has been in communication with state and federal officials and a plan addressing those liens is in place. "It was a misunderstanding," Mills says. "When it was brought to my attention, it was immediately on the road to being rectified."

• Haha 1

Artistic video of Hong Kong public housing and more.  Honestly, I don't understand this density.  What do all those people do?  Do they just stay in the tower all day?  I mean, where could they go?  If they leave the building, it's instant human gridlock like the end of a concert or football game.

https://planetunicorn.com/the-block-tower

46 minutes ago, grodney said:

Artistic video of Hong Kong public housing and more.  Honestly, I don't understand this density.  What do all those people do?  Do they just stay in the tower all day?  I mean, where could they go?  If they leave the building, it's instant human gridlock like the end of a concert or football game.

https://planetunicorn.com/the-block-tower

I've unfortunately waited in that gridlock on the worst occasion 20 min to cram into a packed elevator to get to a vendors office over in Shanghai.  People seem to just accept and deal with it.  Definitely not something I could get used to though

^^^ In Hong Kong you ought to see people dry their laundry on bamboo poles outside their high rise units!

Here is a couple of photos I took in Hong Kong in 2017 from the east end of Hong Kong Island.    You do NOT know density until you have been to the major Asian cities.  NYC looks like suburban Hong Kong LOL! 

almost every building in photos 2-4 are residential towers and this is a more residential neighborhood. 

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1