Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

I didn't know where to put this. I know no one cares what comes next lol.

But I just changed my profile nickname looking through the settings. It's similar to the previous, just the grownup version. I'm still the same old (jeanf1991) that's been reading (and giving likes) in this forum since 2012.

Also, I realised I have +800 profile visits, like, why, even better than my instagram/twitter account lol. I've been working in the wrong platform all this time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

The answer is simple: Don’t be poor. Duh. 

You are not wrong, that really is our only policy solution to the affordable housing problem.

The way to actually fix the problem is clear: 1) increase densities (removing parking minimums helps); 2) make infill easier for developers (to take advantage of increased densities); 3) push more transit into areas that can support the greatest density increases (so people can avoid the financial disaster that is car ownership)

True housing costs need to be looked at from the perspective of rent + transportation, focusing on the price of housing alone (and ignoring the $10k annual cost of a car) is what got us into this jam.

While the path to reduce housing costs is simple there certainly are lots of political entities who will fight against it (urban NIMBYS, rural land owners, suburban developers, road builders, etc.). My message to them is that they suck.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Wish it was that easy for all of us. 

So I was thinking. Does anybody really believe that the BlueLine is actually beneficial that it is making a change in any way. I swear for the amount of cars that that thing holds up at lights and crossings is ridiculous. I swear it is literally making traffic slower and more congested.  And I know for a fact that the majority of the people on there that use it have cars, so its not really transit that is helping the lower class. If it was underground ok, maybe it is useful, but it is like a big worm that only goes straight forward and back that gets in everybody else's way, 

23 minutes ago, j-man said:

Wish it was that easy for all of us. 

So I was thinking. Does anybody really believe that the BlueLine is actually beneficial that it is making a change in any way. I swear for the amount of cars that that thing holds up at lights and crossings is ridiculous. I swear it is literally making traffic slower and more congested.  And I know for a fact that the majority of the people on there that use it have cars, so its not really transit that is helping the lower class. If it was underground ok, maybe it is useful, but it is like a big worm that only goes straight forward and back that gets in everybody else's way, 

I struggle with that. In retrospect I would rather see every single bus line that is moderately successful upgraded to BRT-like standards. Formal "stations," higher frequency, express-quality busses.

We already have the fleets, so this would have the most impact while being the easiest to implement.

But I don't think big, "successful" cities are interested. Only mid-sized cities will take those small bets, and IMO, they will come out better for it in the future in terms of quality of life and affordability. Then, once those robust bus systems are established, installing rail would either be easier, or not even as necessary.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I struggle with that. In retrospect I would rather see every single bus line that is moderately successful upgraded to BRT-like standards. Formal "stations," higher frequency, express-quality busses.

We already have the fleets, so this would have the most impact while being the easiest to implement.

But I don't think big, "successful" cities are interested. Only mid-sized cities will take those small bets, and IMO, they will come out better for it in the future in terms of quality of life and affordability. Then, once those robust bus systems are established, installing rail would either be easier, or not even as necessary.

ok. I can agree with you on that.  I know its crazy to think, but I wish even uptown and Southend that there could be more lanes added to the roads with the the growing density. I feel like so much of the traffic in Charlotte comes from major roads that don't have turning lanes or medians but they get the majority of the cities traffic like Tryon and South Blvd.

Improved bus transit would actually benefit low income families in Charlotte.

The light rail.... has largely resulted in low income apartments being torn down to be replaced by luxury TOD-apartments with expensive rent and expensive cars. Many of my friends living right on the light rail have never ridden it. My boss works Uptown and she lives on a station and she doesn't ride it because she prefers her Mercedes Benz. Her and her husband own three cars. They have a Jeep Wrangler for weekends.... I would be surprised if many SouthEnd residents don't own a car for weekend fun in the mountains, beach, shopping at the mall, going to other neighborhoods off transit, etc... even if they ride the light rail to work.

While the Mercedez and Audi crowd moves in attracted to the shopping, restaurants, and hip urban lifestyle, poor residents have been forced into areas with little bus service like deep East Charlotte.

In addition, the light rail master plan is all focused on Uptown... where the jobs are some of the highest paid in the city. This isn't where many low income residents that benefit the most from transit work. They need to be able to get to Pineville / Steele Creek distribution centers, they need to get to retail jobs at SouthPark, Northlake, or Carolina Place, they need to get to a mansion in Myers Park, they need to get to the call centers off Arrowood Road, etc.... 

Edited by CLT2014

59 minutes ago, j-man said:

ok. I can agree with you on that.  I know its crazy to think, but I wish even uptown and Southend that there could be more lanes added to the roads with the the growing density. I feel like so much of the traffic in Charlotte comes from major roads that don't have turning lanes or medians but they get the majority of the cities traffic like Tryon and South Blvd.

That is a separate issue that I am hesitant to agree on.

While I think road upgrades are always important, auto traffic should not be as big of a concern; but rather all of the small details that make walking/transit easier - this does include independent bus lanes.

Now... all of those roads need street parking lining EVERY SINGLE block - but again, projects are constantly allowed to not do so.

25 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Improved bus transit would actually benefit low income families in Charlotte.

The light rail.... has largely resulted in low income apartments being torn down to be replaced by luxury TOD-apartments with expensive rent and expensive cars. Many of my friends living right on the light rail have never ridden it. My boss works Uptown and she lives on a station and she doesn't ride it because she prefers her Mercedes Benz. Her and her husband own three cars. They have a Jeep Wrangler for weekends.... I would be surprised if many SouthEnd residents don't own a car for weekend fun in the mountains, beach, shopping at the mall, going to other neighborhoods off transit, etc... even if they ride the light rail to work.

I can't think of many areas along the light rail that have addressed the affordable housing problem. Just seems to push people out as low income apartments get torn down and reduce bus transit options. 

This, this, this... I think this is the struggle we are all going to have in the years ahead. The citizens paying the bulk of the tax bill are affluent, and want a train as a convenience. But those with less means and just need to get around for daily life don't need that. And indeed, if even affluent citizens saw very nice busses and great service, they would change their tune.

If American rail had not been torn out decades ago, that would be a different matter... but we have to build them new, so that creates issues.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

That is a separate issue that I am hesitant to agree on.

While I think road upgrades are always important, auto traffic should not be as big of a concern; but rather all of the small details that make walking/transit easier - this does include independent bus lanes.

Now... all of those roads need street parking lining EVERY SINGLE block - but again, projects are constantly allowed to not do so.

This, this, this... I think this is the struggle we are all going to have in the years ahead. The citizens paying the bulk of the tax bill are affluent, and want a train as a convenience. But those with less means and just need to get around for daily life don't need that. And indeed, if even affluent citizens saw very nice busses and great service, they would change their tune.

If American rail had not been torn out decades ago, that would be a different matter... but we have to build them new, so that creates issues.

But I think the light rail and the street car are just things this city loves to brag about but are not really of any use. Alllll that construction and work for what? it takes years to lay down rail, but the rail carries so few people it is just pointless to be above ground. I think Bus lanes or more buses are a better option. Buses are billions of dollars cheaper, and have more flexibility in their routes. I see no comparison other than more people on the roads, but oh well. Trains are only good for major rides. you know, like out of state, unless it is a major system like in D.C. or New York. Could you imagine seeing the light rail in larger cities like that making matters worse. Maybe if they extended it to more important places like the airport, then I see some point in it.  And those tole lanes are going to be a waste, smh Maybe if the population growth slowed then the city will make smarter decisions. 

4 minutes ago, j-man said:

But I think the light rail and the street car are just things this city loves to brag about but are not really of any use. Alllll that construction and work for what? it takes years to lay down rail, but the rail carries so few people it is just pointless to be above ground. I think Bus lanes or more buses are a better option. Buses are billions of dollars cheaper, and have more flexibility in their routes. I see no comparison other than more people on the roads, but oh well. Trains are only good for major rides. you know, like out of state, unless it is a major system like in D.C. or New York. Could you imagine seeing the light rail in larger cities like that making matters worse. Maybe if they extended it to more important places like the airport, then I see some point in it.  And those tole lanes are going to be a waste, smh Maybe if the population growth slowed then the city will make smarter decisions. 

Sorry, don't agree with any of your points mentioned above.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, j-man said:

Yeah I agree about busses. Busses, and adding exclusive bus lanes, are a big piece of the answer.

But where I disagree is that, in general, we should not worry about auto traffic. "Traffic" in general will never improve unless either our economy nose-dives and people are not working, or we tear up the metro landscape of suburban development and radically overhaul our bike/transit infrastructure - which will not happen for a long, long time because of the culture.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

Just now, SgtCampsalot said:

Yeah I agree about busses. Busses, and adding exclusive bus lanes, are a big piece of the answer.

But where I disagree is that, in general, we should not worry about auto traffic. That will not improve until we either lose our economy, or radically overhaul our bike/transit infrastructure - which will not happen soon because of the culture.

I'm not worried about auto traffic in general because that will always be there, but the things i named drastically slow it down. Not many turning lanes,  too many stop lights for the light rail, and a whole street car that I barely ever see people on. 

35 minutes ago, kermit said:

FWIW my household probably went from more than 60 car trips a week to way less than 10 now that the BLE has opened. We also spend lots more money in neighborhood businesses than we did before the BLE.  I know I am not alone in making that sort of shift.

Charlotte spent more than 70 years social-engineering our auto dependence, change isn't gonna happen overnight (but it is happening).

OK i can understand thata but I am saying those types of ways of transportation slow regular traffic down

11 minutes ago, j-man said:

OK i can understand thata but I am saying those types of ways of transportation slow regular traffic down

Why is that a problem?

(and why are cars considered to be 'regular traffic'?)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, kermit said:

Why is that a problem?

(and why are cars considered to be 'regular traffic'?)

why is it not a problem? why would i want extra time put on my drive to and from work or anywhere throughout the day? I'm not inconsiderate. I just feel like if it was underground as far as the light rail, not so much of the streetcar , things would flow more smoothly. And cars are regular traffic because it is the most common way of travel around the world.  Everything revolves around cars and roads, and interstates. You can't take a train anywhere or a plane, so......

10 minutes ago, j-man said:

why is it not a problem? why would i want extra time put on my drive to and from work or anywhere throughout the day? I'm not inconsiderate. I just feel like if it was underground as far as the light rail, not so much of the streetcar , things would flow more smoothly. And cars are regular traffic because it is the most common way of travel around the world.  Everything revolves around cars and roads, and interstates. You can't take a train anywhere or a plane, so......

I would direct you back to the exchange you and I had around busses. Busses are the answer. That, and changing how we build. With a robust bus system, the negative effects of auto traffic (not necessarily traffic itself) can be mitigated for citizens.

10 hours ago, j-man said:

why is it not a problem? why would i want extra time put on my drive to and from work or anywhere throughout the day? I'm not inconsiderate. I just feel like if it was underground as far as the light rail, not so much of the streetcar , things would flow more smoothly.

In a growing city cars are going to get slower -- its inevitable that congestion will increase. Since cars are not a sustainable mode, providing an alternative to car travel is critically important to the future of the city (as well as the planet).

Why is it unreasonable for 200 people on a train to make 20 drivers at a light wait for 20 seconds? Your 'smooth traffic flow' is also likely to interfere with walking and biking, which will further restrict the development of transportation alternatives.  Why should society prioritize a mode that is fiscally, environmentally and physically unsustainable?

10 hours ago, j-man said:

And cars are regular traffic because it is the most common way of travel around the world.  Everything revolves around cars and roads, and interstates. You can't take a train anywhere or a plane, so......

Umm, no. Walking is by far the most common mode choice worldwide. While it might feel like "everything revolves around cars" if you live in a suburban community in the US, cars are not a big part of life for the vast majority of the world's population (only a small portion of the world can afford a car). The only reason why cars feel like "everything" to some American's is because we were socially engineered to believe that.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I agree, great bus service and dedicated right of ways / lanes could be extremely helpful for bringing transit to more areas of the metro and giving working class families better access. The Uptown-focused big bang is going to force many low income people who need to commute from an area like East Charlotte to SouthPark into buying a car still. Without a big investment in improved bus service alongside the light rail, most people will have to scrap together limited funds to buy a car and the light rail will be the mode for comfortable bankers to get to work M-F. I love the development that comes around the light rail stations and the improved walkability being created, but I am concerned we aren't also investing in bus service for the residents displaced to further out areas by the luxury apartments and residents who have a choice of transit options. 

Edited by CLT2014