Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

What is IKEA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's cheap, disposable furniture that usually comes in a box and needs assembly. Although it's cheap, it's considered shabby chic in some circles, maybe because it's from Sweden. When I left my manhattan apt, I destroyed it into small pieces with a mallet for easy curbside pickup.

I saw a show about IKEA once. I can't really remember all the details. I believe it originated over seas somewhere. (It's huge over there) I can't remember what country, maybe China or Japan? I think it is as big as Wal mart is here. I think they sell different stuff though. Don't quote me on none of this though. :wacko:

ikea is european, as s/c wrote. The reason that IKEA is huge in europe is that the furniture often solves problems for people with small housing units, which is common to europe. When they came to the US, they stuck with highly-urban markets.

I think it will be another decade before charlotte has enough people that fit ikea's target market. in the meantime, we'll just have to stick to target furniture....or drive to atlanta.

In response to an earlier question on how we found this board.... I'm not exactly sure anymore, perhaps google sent me. I've been reading the posts on this site for some time now and I think this is a really neat way for everyone to share/express their common appreciation of their cities.

I was born and raised in Charlotte, went to Chapel Hill (that's where the "OE" comes from), then moved to Las Vegas, NV last summer. This is a good way for me to stay informed on things back home. So thanks to you Charlotteans who keep me in the loop.

I'm curious as to how many of ya'll now call other places home and what, if any, similarities you see b/t the two places. Maybe someone would like to start a new post where "we" could offer our views of both places and give suggestions on what clt could do a better job of (i.e. you think Char-Meck has trouble keeping up with booming student enrollment, Las Vegans would laugh in our faces on that topic).

IKEA is cheap and pretty much disposible furniture. Why would any North Carolinian ever want IKEA furniture? North Carolina is THE PLACE to find not only cheap furniture but quality cheap furniture. People come to NC from all over the US to buy furniture, we don't need IKEA. You want a cheap coffee table? Hit up High Point or Hickory, I've seen Thomasville coffee tables for around $150.00 to $200.00. A great furniture industry is something we are very lucky to have in NC.

IKEA is cheap and pretty much disposible furniture.  Why would any North Carolinian ever want IKEA furniture?  North Carolina is THE PLACE to find not only cheap furniture but quality cheap furniture.  People come to NC from all over the US to buy furniture, we don't need IKEA.  You want a cheap coffee table?  Hit up High Point or Hickory, I've seen Thomasville coffee tables for around $150.00 to $200.00.  A great furniture industry is something we are very lucky to have in NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I want to support our state's furniture industry.

The DC/Baltimore area is overloaded with IKEAs. I counted three of them visible from just I-95 on a recent trip. I wouldn't mind having an IKEA nearby though, sometimes they have cool looking shelves and such for cheap.

There are two in the DC/Baltimore area. One in Baltimore, the other in College Park.

I'm curious as to how many of ya'll now call other places home

Well, I'd like to think I left my heart in Illinois. I moved back to Charlotte a little over 2 years ago from living in Chicago (was born in Charlotte). I absolutely loved my time in Chicago and hated to move back, but I think I've really found my permanent home in Charlotte but I'd like to always think my heart is in Chicago.

Hey guys, im new on here, figured i'd make my presence known in the Charlotte furum. I think iv'e spent about 15hrs in the last 3 days catching up on all the new things happening around Charlotte. You guys are just full of great info, I feel like I know whats going on before the media even finds out...

Anyway, I used to live in Jersey up until about 4 years ago. Living outside of NYC and seeing the skyline everyday from 20 miles away made me fascinated with highrises and diferent skylines around the world. When I moved to Charlotte I was excited to be able to see it grow and new buildings go up. So finally after all these new announcements, I found you guys through google. I also found SSC, but seems a little more friendly and mature over here, lol.

And yes, IKEA is great for the college/young crowd who cant afford, or dont like the style of regular furniture.

Mo

My dad is from New Jersey, but south near Philly. He was born in Camden, which I hear is not the best town these days, lol. And I do agree with you Mo, over here is friendlier than SSC, that is why I'm checking this forum first everytime I get on, and it seems that more people over here have the inside word on things, I always know about things many weeks before they are formally announced now. :)

Welcome and enjoy your time here.