Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

• 3 weeks later...

3 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

Is there any chance PayPal would reconsider their decision of the Charlotte operations centre if HB2 is repealed, which looks like it is increasingly becoming likely due to the DOJ's stance on the issue? 

I wonder the same....I also find it curious that they have not announced a new location as well...not even the runner ups in the initial search that brought the proposed site to Charlotte.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

Is there any chance PayPal would reconsider their decision of the Charlotte operations centre if HB2 is repealed, which looks like it is increasingly becoming likely due to the DOJ's stance on the issue? 

Unfortunately, it's not increasingly likely. The threat of losing education money isn't enough. USDOT is looking to see if there's something they can do legally to pull funds. THAT will get rural areas listening.

That said, I think PayPal, like the NBA are just waiting to see what happens because they have the time to wait. I think if HB2 is repealed they will use it as a HUGE PR win for them "PayPal stood up for LGBT and fought and won and yadda yadda." That PR win is worth waiting for them, and if this state doesn't change (it won't) then they have a line of people waiting for them.

• Like 2

IMO  as soon as Berger and McCrory unloaded on PayPal (harping on them doing business in China etc.) our chief 'economic developers'  burned the PayPal bridge for good. If I were their CEO I would never consider NC for anything regardless of what happens to HB2.

York County is a different story however....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HopHead said:

TBH, I would love to see York County land PayPal... I think that would be a good middle finger up the NCGA's you know what. I'd be shocked if Nikki Haley's office hasn't at least called them. 

I didn't think of that! Then at least it is still in the Charlotte metro area. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/50901/launch-raleigh-agenda/

Charlotte Agenda is making me dislike them more and more. They are launching Raleigh Agenda, turning a local and unique media source into a generic and uninspired service. What I liked about Charlotte Agenda was how it was a fun little local company- which represented what Charlotte is. Expanding and moving away from Charlotte (they are even changing their "mission" from “Make Charlotte the smartest, most human city in the world” to “Make cities smarter and more human.”) has made my head shake. 

EDIT- However, if Agenda becomes a mass-media company (à la BuzzFeed) whilst maintaining about Charlotte's importance as the first city etc, then it may be beneficial to Charlotte as a city.  

Edited by Piedmont767

I love Charlotte Agenda more and more. It went from regurgitated news to really helping me get to know what's going on. There are plenty of things I would've never done if I didn't read Charlotte Agenda, including tying my new obsession, Sabor Latin Grill. I save all their information on free things to do, hidden gems to check out, etc. 

34 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/50901/launch-raleigh-agenda/

Charlotte Agenda is making me dislike them more and more. They are launching Raleigh Agenda, turning a local and unique media source into a generic and uninspired service. What I liked about Charlotte Agenda was how it was a fun little local company- which represented what Charlotte is. Expanding and moving away from Charlotte (they are even changing their "mission" from “Make Charlotte the smartest, most human city in the world” to “Make cities smarter and more human.”) has made my head shake. 

EDIT- However, if Agenda becomes a mass-media company (à la BuzzFeed) whilst maintaining about Charlotte's importance as the first city etc, then it may be beneficial to Charlotte as a city.  

To think a company would become complacent and just accept the status quo is clearly not understanding business. At the end of the day the Agenda is a business and businesses need to grow in order to make money, expand revenue, etc etc. It would be stupid for Ted to call it a day in Charlotte because there is a revenue cap that just doesn't make sense. Ex....look at Amazon introducing their own brand of food....could you imagine if they just called it a day at being an online bookstore?

That said, the focus for them will always be Charlotte and the goal is to have other cities be self sustaining so that you don't even know Raleigh Agenda is a thing in Charlotte, besides the back and forth plugs. 

Edited by Jayvee

It makes sense to me that they'd expand. I love CA, I just hope their authorship crawls up out of South Charlotte's butt as they mature. Same goes for the equivalent part of town in any new city they expand into. There's a whole world out there.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

8 hours ago, Jayvee said:

To think a company would become complacent and just accept the status quo is clearly not understanding business. At the end of the day the Agenda is a business and businesses need to grow in order to make money, expand revenue, etc etc. It would be stupid for Ted to call it a day in Charlotte because there is a revenue cap that just doesn't make sense. Ex....look at Amazon introducing their own brand of food....could you imagine if they just called it a day at being an online bookstore?

That said, the focus for them will always be Charlotte and the goal is to have other cities be self sustaining so that you don't even know Raleigh Agenda is a thing in Charlotte, besides the back and forth plugs. 

NO Jayvee, you've got it all wrong.  Businesses CONTRACT to become profitable.  I think you guys should actually become the Myers Park Agenda.  Then the Park Rd. Agenda.  Then, the Park Rd. Shopping Center Agenda.  Until you literally only report on what's happening in front of the Harris Teeter in the Park Road Shopping Center.  WHO IS SHOPPING THERE!?!?!?  IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO TURN LEFT INTO IT!!!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I love CA, I just hope their authorship crawls up out of South Charlotte's butt as they mature. 

What is South Charlotte to you?  And what are some examples of CA authorship being up its butt?  I ask because "South Charlotte" to me is Ballantyne (plus surrounding areas), and CA is decidedly NOT up the butt of Ballantyne.  Well, decidedly in my opinion, hahahaha.

Edited by grodney

35 minutes ago, grodney said:

What is South Charlotte to you?  And what are some examples of CA authorship being up its butt?  I ask because "South Charlotte" to me is Ballantyne (plus surrounding areas), and CA is decidedly NOT up the butt of Ballantyne.  Well, decidedly in my opinion, hahahaha.

Hm... Everything east of South Blvd, West of Monroe Rd, and south of Uptown.

Don't get me wrong, I love their coverage, and they DO write about things in other parts of town, but there's only so much you can focus on Whiteness in Charlotte before I start pining for a more broad scope. I'm not saying they should be Creative Loafing, but I feel they'd do well in the future to cover more of the cultural landscape than they have been.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Multiple film production trucks on Pine today between 5th and Trade.  Also, the giant parking lot behind the Builders Building (the lot diagonal from Vue) was empty today --- possibly related to the movie trucks.  No signs on the parking lot, just coned off entrances.

What is the story on the Builders Building anyway?  It has had boarded-up windows and construction scaffolding for months now.

2 hours ago, grodney said:

Multiple film production trucks on Pine today between 5th and Trade.  Also, the giant parking lot behind the Builders Building (the lot diagonal from Vue) was empty today --- possibly related to the movie trucks.  No signs on the parking lot, just coned off entrances.

What is the story on the Builders Building anyway?  It has had boarded-up windows and construction scaffolding for months now.

I saw something on Twitter the past few days about a NASCAR heist film including Channing Tatum, Daniel Craig and many others.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/entertainment/news/a29331/logan-lucky-nascar-steven-sodebergh/

2 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I saw something on Twitter the past few days about a NASCAR heist film including Channing Tatum, Daniel Craig and many others.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/entertainment/news/a29331/logan-lucky-nascar-steven-sodebergh/

A NASCAR heist theme movie??? Now I am interested in finding out the specifics on that storyline.....!

Anybody have the ability to tell me, or tell me where to find, the number of homes in Charlotte (or Meck) with a value above X dollars (where X is 250K, 500K, 750K, 1million, etc)?

Same question for household incomes?  

And/or how about a percentile breakdown...i.e. 90th percentile is X, 80th percentile is Y, 99th percentile is Z, etc.

Thanks.

(So far I've found this, which has some income breakdowns by $, but not exactly what I described, and way old (from 2000).  http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk )

• Like 1