Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

The first time I ever went to downtown Manhattan, NY, age 15, I remember being absolutely mesmerized by looking  straight UP at the tall buildings lining each and every street. It was a series of metal and glass canals and canyons in every direction. 

It is so surreal to see downtown Charlotte slowly forming those canyons of its own.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

The first time I ever went to downtown Manhattan, NY, age 15, I remember being absolutely mesmerized by looking  straight UP at the tall buildings lining each and every street. It was a series of metal and glass canals and canyons in every direction. 

It is so surreal to see downtown Charlotte slowly forming those canyons of its own.

Same here, I was especially psyched when 300 South Tryon finally came to fruition, having a true corridor from Carolina Theater down to the Levine Avenue of the Arts put us in a great place in that respect.

Different train of thought here, I wanted to ask this for a week or so but I don't think bumping The Vue's thread is prudent: I assume it's fully leased by now, or at least close to 100%? I remember there being some dialogue about how it took a while, given the building's size and its market at the time. I'd also hope its meeting capacity would be a better draw for development in the rest of its block, yet the properties around it sit quiet as a mouse. Uncanny.

• Like 1

Hey everyone! Long time lurker and very occasional poster here. I’m a rising senior in college and am going to be spending the next 8 months writing a thesis on how public investment in fixed-route transportation (e.g. streetcar, light rail, BRT, etc.) can be a catalyst for private real estate development. Since this is such a broad topic with so many interesting data points, I’ve narrowed my focus to just the South End neighborhood of Charlotte.

Given the deep local knowledge and professional network represented on this forum, I thought I’d reach out and see if anyone would be willing to share what they think might be good starting resources. Aside from the more traditional quantitative information, I’m hoping to gather anecdotal evidence from various stakeholder perspectives. In other words, I’d love to speak with community members, developers, city officials, and the like.

I’m going to be in the city in a couple weeks to do some on-the-ground research and to walk the submarket, so it’d be great if I could also set up a couple meetings while I’m there. Feel free to reach out and/or reply to this post if you think you might be able to help. I’d greatly appreciate it!

• Like 3

From a civic leadership perspective, Center City Partners (which administers Historic South End) is a good place to start. Their current director is Megan Gude. http://historicsouthend.com/contact-us/ Tobe Holmes was the prior director, he's now with University City Partners here in Charlotte, so he can also offer perspective from a neighborhood about to get the light rail extension (pretty sure I have a contact for Tobe, if you want it just PM me.) Finally, Ted Boyd was the director just after the light rail opened. He's now with the City of Cary but he should be pretty accessible via their website if you want some flavor from 2008-2010. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tozmervo said:

From a civic leadership perspective, Center City Partners (which administers Historic South End) is a good place to start. Their current director is Megan Gude. http://historicsouthend.com/contact-us/ Tobe Holmes was the prior director, he's now with University City Partners here in Charlotte, so he can also offer perspective from a neighborhood about to get the light rail extension (pretty sure I have a contact for Tobe, if you want it just PM me.) Finally, Ted Boyd was the director just after the light rail opened. He's now with the City of Cary but he should be pretty accessible via their website if you want some flavor from 2008-2010. 

Thank you! I think this is a really good start.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I was reading about the Gateway Tunnel project in NY/NJ it struck me that Anthony Foxx has spearheaded a remarkable number of pro-urban policies as head of the DOT.  My hat is off to the  hometown guy who is going to leave a significant legacy. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kermit said:

As I was reading about the Gateway Tunnel project in NY/NJ it struck me that Anthony Foxx has spearheaded a remarkable number of pro-urban policies as head of the DOT.  My hat is off to the  hometown guy who is going to leave a significant legacy. 

I hope [future] President Clinton elects to keep him as Secretary of Transportation.  It's nice to have someone from the hometown serving in a Presidential cabinet.

32 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

A hostess was murdered on The Plaza, just a block from Central Ave, while walking home from work at Midwood Smokehouse. She was only 26 :(

This is shocking IMO and I don't live in Midwood... are people freaked out?

I know nothing about the case as I have not read anything online, but I am guessing she maybe knew the person. Such a weird isolated incident.