Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CLT704 said:

Not meant to be a criticism, just wondering where you heard that. Sorry if you took it that way.

No, no. I didn't take it that way. I meant in general it didn't occur to me that anyone would question or I would have just gone ahead and posted a link. Def. no harm done on your part!

• Like 1

Okay, seeing as how Forest won re-election as Lieutenant Governor and Cooper appears to have won the Governorship, does that mean they will work together? I know that Lieutenant Governor has very little responsibility, but it still seems a little odd. So can Governor and Lieutenant Governor be different parties? 

And, why doesn't NC have Gov/Lieu run on the same ticket?

40 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

Okay, seeing as how Forest won re-election as Lieutenant Governor and Cooper appears to have won the Governorship, does that mean they will work together? I know that Lieutenant Governor has very little responsibility, but it still seems a little odd. So can Governor and Lieutenant Governor be different parties? 

And, why doesn't NC have Gov/Lieu run on the same ticket?

18 states have a similar situation. Mike Huckabee,as Lieutenant Governor succeeded a Democrat who stepped down in Arkansas and he became the longest serving governor in the history of the state. 

In California, Governor Schwarzenegger, a Republican, who disagreed often with Lieutenant Governor John Garamendi, a Democrat, cut John's budget by 62% as retribution. 

So I gotta wonder if McCrory might find a spot in Donald's cabinet when his election finally gets settled. He seems to fufill all of Donald's requirements (loyalty and a disrgard for evidence and logic) and there is no problem with hiring election losers (e.g. Rep Mica for Trans). The question is, what would Pat be suited for? 

I could see health and human services although FEMA seems like the safest slot for Pat.

16 minutes ago, kermit said:

So I gotta wonder if McCrory might find a spot in Donald's cabinet when his election finally gets settled. He seems to fufill all of Donald's requirements (loyalty and a disrgard for evidence and logic) and there is no problem with hiring election losers (e.g. Rep Mica for Trans). The question is, what would Pat be suited for? 

I could see health and human services although FEMA seems like the safest slot for Pat.

Probably still not incendiary enough for this cabinet.

• 2 weeks later...

Lessons we ignored?

Who said if you tell a lie often enough?
Hitler's propaganda chief, Joseph Goebbels, supposedly said: "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie.
Who said the bigger the lie the more they believe it?
A big lie (German: Große Lüge) is a propaganda technique. The expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, about the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously."
Who said make the lie big make it simple?
Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it. - Adolf Hitler at BrainyQuote. Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.
Who said if you tell a lie often enough?
Hitler's propaganda chief, Joseph Goebbels, supposedly said: "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie.

Economist  magazine (they call themselves a newspaper as a historical nod) has an article this week about McCrory being a bad loser. "...facing the prospect of being the first governor to fail in a re-election bid..."; "appeals are frivolous"; "baselessly alleging voter fraud..."; "'The very people who talk about the election being rigged, we know they are the riggers'" says William Barber; "shenanigans"; "...bogus concerns..."; ...not content with his role in that obloquy* (HB2) he now seems determined to shame his state by clinging to office."

It is as serious a takedown of a politician as I have seen in years of reading the magazine. They dislike the man.

*disgrace brought about by public abuse

On 12/6/2016 at 0:37 PM, Crown said:

The Charlotte Agenda's Raleigh counterpart has closed up shop. 

https://www.raleighagenda.com/7989/hey-that-was-fun/

In this article, the Raleigh Agenda Editor (Currin) says that the owner (Ted) didn't put any effort into securing advertisers in Raleigh.

"

The site’s social media and email newsletter audience was growing each day, Currin said, but the site’s ad revenue picture wasn’t as rosy.

“I believe they simply built this website with the assumption that when they built a second website, some of the advertisers in Charlotte would form regional relationships, and that didn’t happen,” he said.

Currin said he asked for local advertisers, but never got them.

“There was no attempt to build a ground game in Raleigh to build advertising or branding, and that’s unsustainable,” he said.

"

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article119114818.html

Edited by grodney

I came that way yesterday, stopped at the light just as you are. I mentioned to the missus that there was no name of that apartment block unless the name was Luxury Apartments. There is an identical 3 feet wide set of letters on the right side of the building just out of your frame. No other name in sight. And safety yellow and dark brown or black is a bad look. One notices it, for the wrong reasons.

21 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I came that way yesterday, stopped at the light just as you are. I mentioned to the missus that there was no name of that apartment block unless the name was Luxury Apartments. There is an identical 3 feet wide set of letters on the right side of the building just out of your frame. No other name in sight. And safety yellow and dark brown or black is a bad look. One notices it, for the wrong reasons.

For real; I've been inside and those are actually very nice apartments but the new paint job and "advertising" aren't doing them any favors.