Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Hi,

I am new to this forum and plan to relocate to Charlotte sometime next year. I am in the process of purchasing a town home in the town of Ayrsley. According to their webpage, it is described as an urban enclave where I could walk to shops.. etc. etc. I don't know much about the area and would like someone to enlighten me. Is Ayrsley a good place to live and how urban is it? Comments are appreciated. Thank you

LoganVA :wacko:

Welcome Logan, both to Charlotte and UP. I don't think Ayrsley is the model its developers make it out to be. Did some work down there recently and was unimpresssed by both its tenant roster (mostly fast food joints) and uninspiring design. Even when completed, the project will have poor connectivity.

I always advise people moving here to simply rent an apartment first, get a feel for the city, see what you like and what you don't like. Don't rush into purchasing in a place you are unfamiliar with. It's like buying a car, take a test drive first before you sign your name on the dotted line.

If you're looking at SW Charlotte due to proximity to work, Berewick is going to be a far better designed and comfortable place, but that's just my opinion.

Maybe I spoke too soon A2. I took a look at the website and the Charlotte skyline is backwards. Is that an omen or a statement?

:lol: Na I think it is just a pretty pic of some CLT bldg's. I have never been to that development and can't say jack about it. I figure if Pappas had something to do with it, than it must be decent.

A2

Edited by A219724

According to their webpage, it is described as an urban enclave where I could walk to shops...

Yeah, I think "urban enclave" is a bit of an overstatement. The next time you're in town, leave your car at the YMCA and try to walk to Carribou Coffee. If possible, do this at lunch time.

• When entering the development, be sure to stay in the right-hand lane so you're ready for your turn. If you miss the turn, good luck to you. You now have an awkward series of u-turns to look forward to. Park near the YMCA unless it's Two-Punch Tuesday at Moe's. If that's the case, you're SOL.

• Start at the YMCA. Once you step away from the YMCA door (and thus the sidewalk), you'll find yourself passing through a parking lot. Watch yourself here, because the parking lot is already over capacity at times and many of the shops having even been built yet. Should be quite an adventure in the near future.

• Once you get through the YMCA lot, you'll find the four-lane main drive. Don't bother looking for the pedestrian crossing because it doesn't exist. At least not that I've seen. Once the flow of hungry drivers being dumped off South Tryon has subsided, make your way across the first two lanes. If you're lucky, you'll be able to continue on across the remaining two lanes. If something comes up and you can't make it, don't worry. The developers were kind enough to install a landscapped median in the road so poor fools like you and me would have a place to stand and wait for the traffic to dissipate. Pray to god it isn't raining if you're a woman or accompanied by a woman in precarious shoes. (PROTIP: If you're stuck waiting on the median, now would be a good time to look for a gap between the cars parrallel-parked in the far lane. Don't get stuck behind an inpenetrable wall of steel and rubber!)

• Hopefully you've made it to a sidewalk by now. For future reference, take note of the Wild Wing Cafe. That big open space with the sign above it. Yeah, that's not an entrance. Faux street access is all the rage these days, I guess. From this point on, things should be much easier.

• Take the steps up and a sidewalk should guide you up to the coffee shop. If you have someone with you who can't take the steps, then you'll have to walk around the outside of the retail and share the main entrance with the drivers. I'm a little fuzzy on the side-walk design here, so be prepared for god know's what. A sidewalk will eventually become available and guide you the long way around the inside of the retail fort they have set up there. You can cut through the parking lot if you're feeling lucky, but again, don't expect a pedestrian crosswalk to protect your right of way.

I think that place hates both drivers and pedestrians equally.

All,

I would like to thank you for the great comments. After looking through the website, I've come to a conclusion. This looks like a typical urbanism community. We have plenty of those type of community in Northern VA. I need something more urban and without breaking the bank. Any recommendations? Hip areas, up and coming, lots of culture, open minded. Am looking for a town home or condo.

Thanks again,

Logan

Please read our rules. We don't want posts here looking for real estate. You can ask general questions about the city however.

In general, however you have this about Charlotte.

• Living in the CBD. Lots of stuff going on here, but expect to pay a pretty high price/sq ft. for it. It really isn't much different from the new urbanist stuff except there is mass transit on the way.
  • The new urbanist neighborhoods. Good value, but as you noted it is probably not your cup of tea.
  • Early streetcar neighborhoods near the CBD. These are outrageously priced, unless you are willing to move into a fixer upper in a very high crime neighborhood.

Have not posted in a while, it has been busy as Hell at the office :w00t:

Anyway, I am here STILL, and the party is definately going on 18 floors below. There must be 100,000 people in the loop tonight !!!

The restraunts are standing room only. Just thought I would comment since we will be hosting ABC's Monday Night Game.

Go Panthers !!!

This place is really hoppin'

A2

Did some nail biting at the end, but it was a great game otherwise.

And you got to love those skyline shots that MNF does. That blue crown looked awsome....

I noticed that the BofA tower went with a two tone color for the crown versus the regular Panther Blue. I did like it though. I thought the shots when they were driving down Tryon were nice too. The sidewalks and steet side restraunts were full of activity. Overall I thought that it was a great game and I was very pleased with the way they dipicted our city.

A2

:thumbsup:

totally off topic. Does anyone know what development is going on in Matthews that is roughly 50 acres on John Street. It is right by 485. I think that John Street is basically Monroe road. The development happening is about a 1/4 mile from Vinneies.

A2

^ yes, it will stop, but only when you have no chance of enjoying the outdoors. In my experience, only when you are trapped in your cube with no means of escape is the weather ever perfect. Sorry. The glass is half empty today.

so true.........so VERY true

i too am cultivated in a cube farm daily. at least though when it's sunny out i can pretend as though i'm outside in a green field playing my guitar......in my mind lol

• 2 weeks later...