Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

19 hours ago, asthasr said:

I'm thinking about starting a thread about urban development elsewhere and good/bad points in comparison to our own. I.e. considering a Charlotte amenity or project in comparison to something similar in a European or Asian city, etc. Would anyone be interested in that?

I'd read it. Personally, I've been wondering about the efficacy of roundabouts and why they're used elsewhere more than here.

2 hours ago, Vitamin_N said:

I'd read it. Personally, I've been wondering about the efficacy of roundabouts and why they're used elsewhere more than here.

I can answer that, it's because American drivers are stubborn when it comes to change, they don't always see the benefits of roundabouts. Less 'conflict points', less need to stop (IE, fuel savings), more free flowing than a four way stop, etc. A lot of people will recount the most negative experience they've had with something versus the most positive, like the other day when someone did not yield to me when I was already in a traffic circle. But I understand that overall traffic circles are much safer than four way intersections.   

• Like 1

Roundabouts are fairly common where I am now (Milwaukee area), and I have grown to like them, can be somewhat laborious at interstate exchanges, but still more free flowing as noted above.  The one thing I wonder is how well they work when the intersection is a high volume one and there are multiple lanes, and drivers needing to cross those lanes.  Not necessarily the Paris scene from National Lampoons, but a practical scenario.

On 4/4/2017 at 10:04 AM, Vitamin_N said:

Since the idea of a cap over 277 gets floated here every once in a while, here's an article about how Klyde Warren Park in Dallas, a 5 acre park built over three blocks of freeway, came to be:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-building-plan-public-private-deal-green-jewel-n740071

I lived in Dallas for a summer during an internship a few years ago, and everyone was talking about this park (it had just opened). It is a very similar situation to here in Charlotte, development on both sides had bumped its was up to the highway. I had no idea it was a P3 project though.My only issue with the park was, at the time, a complete lack of shade. They lined all the food trucks up along the park in areas designed for them, water, electrical hookups, (Something I think would work very well here in Charlotte since Food Truck Friday lost its home) and there were many people outside huddling under tiny brand new trees on this 100 degree day. Give the park 10 years and it will be something completely different.

It doesn't seem unlikely that a similar thing could work here, and now seems like the opportunity. You have all this development going up on both sides, development that would benefit significantly by improved connections and having a park right outside the door. Half of Stonewall Station's units look out over a highway, make that a park filled with small restaurants, food trucks and events, seems they could start charging more for those units than the city view units. It could probably happen, some one just has to make it happen.

If I recall, the issue with the above is the cost in maintaining it, in the short-term things will be fine, but long-term and the unknown/instability that comes inherently from that, need a better model than the Dallas cap park imo.  Great quote from that though, around public-private partnership being a reason for Dallas' greater rate of growth and success, lessons there certainly.

On 4/14/2017 at 11:12 AM, tarhoosier said:

Ink and Ivy last night, 8 pm with doors all open and patio full, sounds blasting and could be heard from Bearden Park. Enjoy, all who dare to tread there.

I was there today, it's a nice festive atmosphere, but I can a future issue arising. 

On 4/16/2017 at 5:43 PM, elrodvt said:

What issues do you expect?

Back in the day there was a bar/club across Morehead from the Summit Grandview. Folks complained about the noise. Different time and different tenets. But, Ink and Ivy is even louder, though the atmosphere is great. Almost seems like water is right outside. Or should be.

1 hour ago, NY+SC=NC said:

Back in the day there was a bar/club across Morehead from the Summit Grandview. Folks complained about the noise. Different time and different tenets. But, Ink and Ivy is even louder, though the atmosphere is great. Almost seems like water is right outside. Or should be.

We'll see how it goes once the Ascent building is open but personally I love getting a little vibe into the area (and I live very close by). Not my kind of place but we need a lot more loud outdoor seating places IMHO and most of the people choosing to live downtown should expect some noise. Does anyone else agree the Ascent is one of the ugliest buildings in uptown?

49 minutes ago, nowensone said:

Not the only odd pocket of emptiness near uptown certainly, but seems the most develop-able, anyone know why these blocks just sit in this state?  (easier to envision in Satellite mode).

This will be 300 apartments and another project of townhouses in just two years, the apartments are being developed by Stonehenge Real Estate Group. This was a notoriously bad public housing project that was demolished very quietly back in the late 2000s

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, NY+SC=NC said:

That may have been Salamandre, a latino club latino music and clientele. Long ago was the famous Cellar for long time residents.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2017 at 10:02 PM, elrodvt said:

We'll see how it goes once the Ascent building is open but personally I love getting a little vibe into the area (and I live very close by). Not my kind of place but we need a lot more loud outdoor seating places IMHO and most of the people choosing to live downtown should expect some noise. Does anyone else agree the Ascent is one of the ugliest buildings in uptown?

You know, I'm on the fence. From certain angles and distances it's not too bad. But, those bad angles are b-a-d. It looks stubby and unfinished. To it's defense though, there's some pretty tough competition looks wise, not to mention height. Drop that same building in Raleigh or Winston and it would be a gem. Imo

On 4/27/2017 at 10:06 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

Beautiful, I'll take most of those buildings, that courthouse and lawn, in fact, we could probably fit all that at the former Eastland site...

Don't need another Charlotte polluting the waters though lol..

Can yall help me out: I have a friend from Miami who's moving to either Charlotte or the Triangle this year because of lower housing and living costs.

I don't know much about the triangle, other than there are SO many older buildings still intact in all the downtowns (which is automatically a win for me, but i have roots and CLT and obv prefer him to move here). However, Charlotte has a more coherent city and neighborhoods layout, and better transit future.

Also he's a musician, but has a day job career as well. Which area has better bourgening music scene?

Any food for thought?

• Like 1

^ If its hip hop or EDM, Charlotte has the better music scene, or at least the better future for it. If its any kind of rock/indie/alternative, Raleigh has the better music scene. This is extremely un-scientific and anecdotal but that's how I see it.

As for the rest of it, its like you said. Raleigh and Durham are certainly a bit hipper, at least in their downtowns, since they maintained old storefronts and buildings (which = cheaper rents, more boutique retail and low key restaurants) and have large universities, but I think at the end of the day there's still more to DO in Charlotte overall. 

• Like 1