Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

5 minutes ago, Merthecat said:

NCDOT wants input on the future of transportation in North Carolina.  This is our chance to push for more transit!  :ph34r:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-18-state-transportation-plan.aspx

You should put this in one of the topics on the main page (as opposed to the coffee house) so more people can see it. It's definitely relevant.

• Like 2

That'd be great! Some kind of central attraction in uptown would really help define uptown as a destination.

Yes, and I think a tower like this would look great along I-277, near LU or Ally Center. Would be a great location as it would mark a "Gateway" between SE and Uptown, and have great views and light rail access. 

Go look up the 'Tower of the Americas' and you'll see it has a restaurant with impressive views. A restaurant at the top of Charlotte's tower with either a huge crown or queen statue would make it a great tourist attraction for the city. Uniquely Charlotte.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm incredibly bored right now so I calculated an interesting number. Exactly 40% of the tallest 45 buildings in Charlotte were built in the last ten years including 4/10 of the top 10. 

@KJHburg It's a promising carrer with great benefits and possible promotions! (At least according to them)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

WSOCTV is reporting this 

BREAKING: The possible Hep A exposure was at Village Tavern on Congress St on Oct 30, per source. All patrons who ate there on that day are recommended to get a Hep A vaccine. There are 24 cases of Hep A in the county.

Oh wow I ate there the 29th.  Close call.

On 11/5/2018 at 11:22 PM, Nick2 said:

I'm incredibly bored right now so I calculated an interesting number. Exactly 40% of the tallest 45 buildings in Charlotte were built in the last ten years including 4/10 of the top 10. 

@KJHburg

I can't wait for the day that all 10 of the 10 Tallest Buildings in North Carolina are in Charlotte.  CLT dominates this category now with 8 out of 10.  The other two are in Raleigh & Winston-Salem respectively.  Once the Legacy Union BOAT is completed then 9 of the 10 Tallest in NC will be in Charlotte, leaving only Raleigh with 1 building cracking the 10 Tallest.

Guess I'm bored as well!  :tw_expressionless:

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I can't wait for the day that all 10 of the 10 Tallest Buildings in North Carolina are in Charlotte.  CLT dominates this category now with 8 out of 10.  The other two are in Raleigh & Winston-Salem respectively.  Once the Legacy Union BOAT is completed then 9 of the 10 Tallest in NC will be in Charlotte, leaving only Raleigh with 1 building cracking the 10 Tallest.

Guess I'm bored as well!  :tw_expressionless:

Legacy and Duke will drop PNC to 8. I don't know of anything in the future taller than PNC other than those however. Gonna take a more robust economy and way shorter memories to get anything taller than that in the next 5-10 years. 

Damn this needs some updating

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_North_Carolina

Edited by Guest

I like reading the "Tallest buildings in 'Insert City'".   I think Charlotte's skyline is so appealing not just because of the height, but the uniqueness of all our towers (esp the top 10).  The rest of NC, there aren't too many eye catching towers.  Winston has the Reynolds building (mini Empire State building, literally)...In Raleigh, PNC tower is awkward to me, however, the Wells Fargo capital center is nice.  It's been said before on here, but CLT truly does punch well above it's weight class in the skyline dept.  The one  big thing that has increased in recent years too is the density.  There is a hustle and bustle city vibe now that I don't experience in any other part of NC.

Each year the Empire State Building in NYC sends a Fathers day card to the Kimpton (old Reynolds Bldg) in Winston Salem.   Because this Winston Salem building was built first and is the model for the Empire State Building and now you can stay in it with the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel. 

https://www.thecardinalhotel.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand-Hotel Name_EXT&utm_term=kimpton cardinal&adpos={adpos}&creative=76553537516008&device=c&matchtype=e&network=b&msclkid=aea496b68a0c170c2232cd59b1723592

• Like 3