Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That’s cuz we update clt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One thing I don't understand is the Wikipedia info for Tallest buildings in other major cities like Denver.  If you search, then results for most if not all Buildings in Denver taller than 115' show up but Charlottes results are for 200' or taller.  I thought there was a standard but I guess it depends on something else?

Edited by Hushpuppy321

On 12/8/2018 at 7:50 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

One thing I don't understand is the Wikipedia info for Tallest buildings in other major cities like Denver.  If you search, then results for most if not all Buildings in Denver taller than 115' show up but Charlottes results are for 200' or taller.  I thought there was a standard but I guess it depends on something else?

Most cities have it from 200 and up. I think Denver is an exception for some reason. Cities with way higher number of skyscrapers have the cutoff for the list higher than 200.

37 minutes ago, grodney said:

Have y'all played geoguessr?  It plops you down in google streetview, and you have to figure out (or guess) where you are.  There are lots of different "maps" you can play....like "World" or "US Cities" or "Famous Places" or "Premiere League Stadiums".   TL;DR details below.

I created a Charlotte map that has everything inside 485 plus the greater Ballantyne area.....with randomly-generated starting points.  Play it if you want.  Enjoy.

There were already a couple Charlotte maps.....one with just a few points, and one with a bunch of apparently hand-selected points.

TL;DR:

There are lots of ways to "play" in increasing difficulty:

1) Same as #2 below, but you can "cheat" and use a separate window to google street names or place names.  What fun is that?

2) You can use the on-screen arrows to move around as much as you want to figure out where you started.  Note there is a "return to start" button on the screen so you can go back to your starting point at any time.

3) You can just stay at the starting point, rotating the view and zooming in and out.

4) You can stay at the starting point and don't rotate and don't zoom or anything.

5) In addition, you can add a timer that limits how long you get to make your guess.

The timer is the only in-game limitation, and it is optional.  The modes 1 through 4 are just self-restricted.  I find it pretty fun to play #3, whether in Charlotte, or in US Cities, or in the World.  I also play #2, but it can be ARDUOUS if you're going for a perfect score.

Saving for later... this sounds awesome

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 9:45 AM, grodney said:

Have y'all played geoguessr?  It plops you down in google streetview, and you have to figure out (or guess) where you are.  There are lots of different "maps" you can play....like "World" or "US Cities" or "Famous Places" or "Premiere League Stadiums".   TL;DR details below.

I created a Charlotte map that has everything inside 485 plus the greater Ballantyne area.....with randomly-generated starting points.  Play it if you want.  Enjoy.

There were already a couple Charlotte maps.....one with just a few points, and one with a bunch of apparently hand-selected points.

Okay, I added another geoguessr Charlotte map, this one called "Charlotte NC Skyline".  I set it up with hand-selected locations that all have the Charlotte skyline in them....somewhere.....you might have to spin around and zoom in.  I added 40-some locations so far.  If you want to post or DM your favorite skyline views, I can add them to the map for others to enjoy.  See earlier post for "how to play".  

Edited by grodney
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, elrodvt said:

^he said fog not pollution. :-)

It is Houston and it is fog rolling in off the Gulf of Mexico and Galveston Bay.   someone took that from a plane but it is great photo and since they have a cluster of really tall buildings makes for a great photo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Related to a comment about Ally Tower: The last remaining house on South Boulevard is 1719. If one walks down the alley beside 1719 and the neighboring Shell station at South and East, this alley walk will reveal a brick home at the rear with commercial facade streetside on South. Windows are now closed but the roofline, former fenestration, rear elevation and general shape is clearly that of an original house. Lot size matches residential of Dilworth of early 20th century also.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

On 12/28/2018 at 11:03 PM, nakers2 said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this, but I’d kill to have a mall with a rail connection...Carolina Place almost had a chance! 

2FA04AB4-60E4-4D13-B738-ED110952BD52.jpeg

I love Fashion Center. There’s also another “mall” connected on the other side. Just a CVS and few other stores but I go for the Best Buy. 

DC and Arlington have great TOD 

Took some pics of the eastern market area of DC. Very poppin’ But I tried to not get people in my pics. People should definitely check out U Street, Eastern Market area, Navy Yard, SW/Wharf when they visit DC. Too many people don’t venture from the National mall 

E6AD381A-F537-4B7E-A46D-2BCA7D996735.jpeg

F74CB51E-24E4-4761-A00B-F1C6CC45860A.jpeg

Moved from Dimensional Place discussion

Charlotte seems to regularly be the city that surprises people. It has better weather, better downtown than expected, more big buildings, affordable housing, variable attractions and geography, welcoming citizens, lower taxes than anticipated. Based on the many comments online I have seen from transplants in the area here is my offering on the (previous) competition for the Charlotte advertising slogan:

Charlotte Surprises You

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Charlotte seems to regularly be the city that surprises people. It has better weather, better downtown than expected, more big buildings, affordable housing, variable attractions and geography, welcoming citizens, lower taxes than anticipated. Based on the many comments online I have seen from transplants in the area here is my offering on the (previous) competition for the Charlotte advertising slogan:

Charlotte Surprises You

I agree.  People always complain there is nothing to do.  I heard this from people in suburban DC!  Charlotte has a festival every weekend for about 9 months of the year.  The lifestyle choices are here are unbelievable too from lake communities where you can sail year round,  waterski, plus  we have a manmade whitewater rafting within 15 minutes of uptown. 

and I agree Charlotte surprises people.  People can't believe how tall our uptown buildings are for I think they were expecting a Greensboro skyline or something.  They can't believe how huge our airport is.   People can't believe how many trees we have (especially from folks from out west especially California)   These are all comments I have heard personally.  

Our weather is great not too hot not too cold. Our location is fantastic 2 hours to the highest mountains in eastern North America and 3 hours to the sunny beaches of the Carolinas. 

Charlotte will never be a tourist driven city like a Las Vegas or Orlando but who really cares?  I would live in neither and people who live in resort areas complain about all the tourists!

• Like 3

^ even Arlington is sooo boring and sterile compared to CLT. 

Charlotte offers the same amenities any other large city offers. Even compared to large cities. Atlanta doesn’t seem any more urban, for example in my opinion and it’s much larger. 

As I mentioned before. Does Dallas or Atlanta have a grocery store downtown? Clothing retailers? Ok. There Works of Coke and GA aquarium. 

I live 2 blocks from the National Mall. I never go to the smithsonians. CAnt imagine world of coke is anymore life shattering. 

CLT has great urban amenities. Especially for residents. From Frazier Dog Park to Ray’s Splash Planet and all the other amenities people don’t realize uptown has but are more concerned with the world of Coke’s of the world. 

Today I Learned that Franklin NC is south of Charlotte.  Huh.

File that away with "The Fury is north of the Big Pink Church", "my house (i.e. Blakeney) is south of the old  Knights stadium", "Atlanta is closer to Chicago than it is to Miami", and "All of the U.K.* is north of all of the continental U.S.".

*U.K., Great Britain, England, whatever.  Insert venn diagram here.

n-s.jpg

On 1/2/2019 at 6:11 PM, tarhoosier said:

Charlotte Surprises You

Charlotte is out of the bag. My wife and I belong to one of those new friend groups. I’d venture that fully 90% are from NY.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:50 PM, KJHburg said:

I agree.  People always complain there is nothing to do.  I heard this from people in suburban DC!  Charlotte has a festival every weekend for about 9 months of the year.  The lifestyle choices are here are unbelievable too from lake communities where you can sail year round,  waterski, plus  we have a manmade whitewater rafting within 15 minutes of uptown. 

and I agree Charlotte surprises people.  People can't believe how tall our uptown buildings are for I think they were expecting a Greensboro skyline or something.  They can't believe how huge our airport is.   People can't believe how many trees we have (especially from folks from out west especially California)   These are all comments I have heard personally.  

Our weather is great not too hot not too cold. Our location is fantastic 2 hours to the highest mountains in eastern North America and 3 hours to the sunny beaches of the Carolinas. 

Charlotte will never be a tourist driven city like a Las Vegas or Orlando but who really cares?  I would live in neither and people who live in resort areas complain about all the tourists!

Only the over-stimulated are bored with Charlotte.