Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

On 1/29/2019 at 12:08 PM, kermit said:

In a growing city cars are going to get slower -- its inevitable that congestion will increase. Since cars are not a sustainable mode providing an alternative to car travel is critically important to the future of the city (as well as the planet).

Why is it unreasonable for 200 people on a train to make 20 drivers at a light wait for 20 seconds? Your 'smooth traffic flow' is also likely to interfere with walking and biking, which will further restrict the development of transportation alternatives.  Why should society prioritize a mode that is fiscally, environmentally and physically unsustainable?

Umm, no. Walking is by far the most common mode choice worldwide. While it might feel like "everything revolves around cars" if you live in a suburban community in the US, cars are not a big part of life for the vast majority of the world's population (only a small portion of the world can afford a car). The only reason why cars feel like "everything" to some American's is because we were socially engineered to believe that.

I'm done responding to you. I clearly know walking is more common than cars, so that is irrelevant. I'm talking about ways of transportation of a man made object. Have a good day, You are too sensitive and are missing my point and how much I agree with what you are saying, I just feel like the things I mentioned hinder more than help the masses. So have a good. day. I'm done. 

Edited by j-man

That was odd. I didn't see anything out of line. 

I like how Singapore and to some degree London are making it expensive to enter the city in a car. Put that hand in hand with converting car lanes to express bus lanes and bike lanes and you're on the right track imho.

Obviously there needs to be a very convenient park and ride system with headways that are no excessive like ours are. 5 minutes? Not sure how headways and build / operations cost work out.

The light rail isn't just for "poor" people. I find that opinion hella strange. My coworkers ride it every day. We work for a small business that doesn't offer parking uptown. We are, however, reimbursed for parking and transit fare. 

I drive in from the Matthews area, and am #blessed with free parking, but for someone who is regularly in a hurry, I have never been irked at the train holding me up. I love it. I love this city. I love it's progress - not necessarily the displacement of certain people, but this isn't utopia. 

Yes, this thing is newish, yes it could use some help, and yes more lines as well as affordable housing are needed, but that's no need for regressive thinking. 

• Like 2

I posted about historic teacher housing issues in the Charlotte History thread but in looking into teacherage  I discovered that Dillon SC and Beaufort SC have offered teacher housing and assistance(among others in SC) in the past few years due to the affordability and availability issue.  It is not just here, or just now, or just the poor. 

On 1/27/2019 at 6:01 PM, Nick2 said:

This is sad.

FB_IMG_1548630029209.jpg.c9a39b59db49dc67c8f65ec8b93caead.jpg

Its also not true.  The average rent for an apartment in Charlotte is $1,179.  Only a 3% increase from the previous year.

Perhaps that figure is for Uptown and yes living in Uptown is expensive and I dont recall seeing the guaranteed right to live in Uptown, Charlotte in the Bill of Rights.

Also if you are supporting a family on $7.25 an hour you have made some bad choices in life and that shouldnt afford you rights that the rest of us have to work for.  

• Sad 1

Its also not true.  The average rent for an apartment in Charlotte is $1,179.  Only a 3% increase from the previous year.

Perhaps that figure is for Uptown and yes living in Uptown is expensive and I dont recall seeing the guaranteed right to live in Uptown, Charlotte in the Bill of Rights.

Also if you are supporting a family on $7.25 an hour you have made some bad choices in life and that shouldnt afford you rights that the rest of us have to work for.  

“Made some bad choices.”

Not having good access to education is not a choice.

Not growing up with the means or mentorship to better yourself is not a choice.

Not having a stable upbringing is not a choice.

Failing out of school because you have to get a job because you had no stable family to take care of you is not a choice.

Not everyone has the same opportunities.

Charlotte has the worst upward mobility in the country, and Charlotte’s impoverished folks aren’t struggling to survive because of bad decisions. Sure many are, but education, healthcare and the chance to succeed should be inalienable rights. They aren’t though.

Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and you can’t chose to be marginalized, or be a generation removed from being marginalized. But let’s be honest, it’s clear by your statement about choices, the marginalization still exists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Oh and you can’t chose to be marginalized, or be a generation removed from being marginalized. But let’s be honest, it’s clear by your statement about choices, the marginalization still exists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah yes the 'systemic' marginalization........

I realized from lurking here for a little over a year or so that this is a left leaning board but still respect the opinions/knowledge of most when it comes to architecture/business/projections etc etc but it is pretty clear most here live in a rosey bubble and have no idea how the "poor and marginalized" live.  It could be the bigotry of low expectations or maybe just disinformation like the rent slide above that looks like it was plucked off Facebook or some chain email.  I grew up in multiple foster homes and was out on the street at 17.  I walked into a military recruiting office and it changed my life.  Just because someone doesn't have access to a college education right after high school doesn't mean they wont succeed.  Even Amazon is paying more than double the minimum wage and will hire just about anyone.  I know an ex-felon who now owns his own business and lives an upper middle class life. There are many different factors as to why an individual will fail or succeed and its not because of the millennials who live in apartments with granite counter tops or because someone posts something against the allowed group-think on Urban Planet.    

5 hours ago, Dandy Chiggens said:

None of your comment changes the reason for that graphic being posted/created. Wages are fairly stagnant especially when compared to dramatically rising rent costs. 

Very few people work for minimum wage anymore period. Because most companies are paying in the $8-9 range to start with (even basic service jobs). So the infographic is a bit dishonest.

That doesn't change the meaning. 1,179 per month is hard to afford on any base salary even if it's double the minimum wage which you seem to think is a lot. If you work 40 hrs a week, then your hourly pay would have to make $7.36 per hour only for rent. (1,179 divided by 160 hrs of work in a month) We can parse words and numbers to make it seem better or worse but the issue still exists.

Yeah people who are lower income just haven't tried not being lower income. They didn't ever think about that option. I mean how dumb are they?

have-you-tried-just-not-being-poor.jpg.ff315edbe0821094ec92a2b261256823.jpg

How quickly the debate went from one form of mobility to another.  Both issues share the jobs-housing mismatch of housing-transportation policies.  That mismatch is both systemic and market-driven, and that market is a political economy.

Land is limited. Public infrastructure shapes land values. Policies shape markets.  If the market fails to provide full opportunity, the policies are to blame.  Public policy changes are market-based solutions.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dandy Chiggens said:

Ah yes the 'systemic' marginalization........

I realized from lurking here for a little over a year or so that this is a left leaning board but still respect the opinions/knowledge of most when it comes to architecture/business/projections etc etc but it is pretty clear most here live in a rosey bubble and have no idea how the "poor and marginalized" live.  It could be the bigotry of low expectations or maybe just disinformation like the rent slide above that looks like it was plucked off Facebook or some chain email.  I grew up in multiple foster homes and was out on the street at 17.  I walked into a military recruiting office and it changed my life.  Just because someone doesn't have access to a college education right after high school doesn't mean they wont succeed.  Even Amazon is paying more than double the minimum wage and will hire just about anyone.  I know an ex-felon who now owns his own business and lives an upper middle class life. There are many different factors as to why an individual will fail or succeed and its not because of the millennials who live in apartments with granite counter tops or because someone posts something against the allowed group-think on Urban Planet.    

I never said anything about access to college. I mean access to decent public education. How are you expected to succeed with out that.

47 minutes ago, uptownliving said:

Who is the hot guy that shows up at CCCP meetings? Shorter, dark hair, Olive skin tone. Dreesses to impress. Is he a developer?

can you find him in photo galleries for the event? Probably could get you an ID, and maybe a new sugar daddy.

1 hour ago, uptownliving said:

Who is the hot guy that shows up at CCCP meetings? Shorter, dark hair, Olive skin tone. Dreesses to impress. Is he a developer?

18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

can you find him in photo galleries for the event? Probably could get you an ID, and maybe a new sugar daddy.

I assumed he was talking about Ely. 

What is it like living with Trump Derangement Syndrome?

I didnt like Obama for handcuffing troops with insane rules of engagement that actually cost many lives.  But it wasn't hatred that consumed me and made me have a break down every time I saw him on tv or want to assault someone for wearing an Obama hat.

Edited by Dandy Chiggens
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dandy Chiggens said:

What is it like living with Trump Derangement Syndrome?

I didnt like Obama for handcuffing troops with insane rules of engagement that actually cost many lives.  But it wasn't hatred that consumed me and made me have a break down every time I saw him on tv or want to assault someone for wearing an Obama hat.

I don't want to see any political ads on a urban planning and development forum. There is plenty of trump in the general news to satiate you.

Now taco Bell nacho fries being back. That's a freaking great thing to know for me!

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 1