Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Yes, it is a big deal. I will be attending because I am important. Nah, not really, I'm a nobody, but I will be attending. Like ULI, it's a networking dream come true.

Hey Miesian,

Did you attend the conference? Tell us about your impressions! Would love to hear your take on things.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I mostly just wanted to bump this thread since there's been a couple times I wanted to post here but couldn't find it (until I wised up to the "advanced" search :blush: )

But anyone still without power? That wind storm really made a mess yesterday. Over 200k households out in the Carolinas yesterday and as of this morning about 6k still out in Meck. Maybe one of these days Duke will wise up and start moving some of these lines underground. The biggest problems from this storm stem from aerial lines, mainly downed trees.

Over here in Dilworth we were out from midmorning until around 6:30 for where I live close to East Blvd. Several lights along East were out for most of the day. I realize it takes time to get everyone back online and there are priority needs but it was unsafe and irresponsible not to have police manning the dead lights along East. I witnessed several close calls between confused motorists yesterday.

• 2 months later...

Here's an interesting ranking I ran across in the August 2007 edition of Men's Health magazine. It ranked cities according to how many workaholics they have ("Cities That Need a Vacation" is the title of the article/study). Cities were ranked by measuring how many residents punch the clock (U.S. Census) and the amount of overtime logged (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). Then commute times (U.S. Census) and rates of high blood pressure and self-reported stress (CDC) were considered. Finally, how many vacation days go unused, as well as peoples' stress levels when they finally do get away were calculated. Charlotte came in at 95th with a grade of "F," sandwiched right between Aurora, CO at 94th and Durham (yep, the Durham just up the road) at 96th.

Now everybody take a few days off on me. :)

I hope your all enjoying your 4th of July eve drive home......77 south is completely shut down at 485. All traffic is being diverted onto 485, which is now 10x worse then it already is. I'm being forced to go down towards lake Wylie for work and have been trying for the past hour. Every single back road is gridlock. :angry:

I've given up and stopped at a gas station for a breather.....

It's really sad that another person died in an accident on 77.

Is it me or are drivers in Charlotte out of control?

Just tonight, I almost smashed into someone Uptown who stopped at a stop sign then decided to pull out just in front of me. (Im thankful for anti-lock brakes)

Two weeks ago my co worker was almost killed as a passenger in a car on 77 that was side swiped then spun out of control smashing into the median... and the other car never even stopped.

Is everyone just too stressed and not paying attention? What can be done to encourage better driving habits? :(

I agree, many drivers on our roads seem to think that they are the only ones on the road. This morning on my way to work an idiot in a large truck in front of me quickly shifts to the left lane because the person of him was slowing down to turn onto a road. The truck never used his brakes or turn signal so all of a sudden I have no warning that I have to slow down and as a result I have to do so very abruptly, all with a big rig behind me.

I think my biggest pet peeve of all is those who don't use their turn signal, and it seems that many of our mighty law enforcement individuals disobey this simple traffic law as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I learned something new today about Charlotte neighborhoods! Apparently it's a grave insult to Eastover residents to lump their slice of heaven in with..... ..Myers Park of all places! How could I do such a thing :o And why was I not warned before on here :lol: I was corrected by an Eastover inhabitant today that Providence divides the two and she made it clear which was superior. Myers Park is too cheap and not exclusive enough to pass muster with Eastoverites it seems :lol:

Edited by voyager12

I've always found that attitude a little amusing, because in my ever-so-humble opinion Myers Park kicks the crap out of Eastover any day. I actually think several parts of Eastover would be downright ugly and unattractive if they didn't have the benefit of high-end landscaping and maintenance.

This is true. Several parts of Eastover abut very busy roads and their prolific landscapers manage to buffer very well. It's quite a juxtaposition to have Eastover and Grier Heights literally across the street from each other. I thought Eastover was just comprised of Eastover Road, dur ^_^ and Colville, where the largest properties are. According to this lady the neighborhood is much larger. So the Express Teeter located in Myers Park Center and all the stretch on that side of Providence is technically Eastover?

Edited by voyager12

It's very true. Eastover people look down on Myers Park. Myers Park people look down on Dilworth. Myer Park people will box your ears if you mess up and refer to Myers Park Manor as Myers Park. Dilworth people look down on everyone around them that isn't Myers Park and also look down on Plaza-Midwood. Plaza-Midwood is often referred to as poor man's Dilworth. Plaza-Midwood looks down on NoDa. All of them look down on SouthPark people and points further out.

It's very true. Eastover people look down on Myers Park. Myers Park people look down on Dilworth. Myer Park people will box your ears if you mess up and refer to Myers Park Manor as Myers Park. Dilworth people look down on everyone around them that isn't Myers Park and also look down on Plaza-Midwood. Plaza-Midwood is often referred to as poor man's Dilworth. Plaza-Midwood looks down on NoDa. All of them look down on SouthPark people and points further out.

So would that mean that Ballantyne people are viewed as somewhere in the vicinity of the 7th level of hell??? :P (sorry this one was too easy to tag-along on)

A2

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the story on Chilly Willy? Our local street character? Most city residents see him wandering around day and night listening to his radio. He hangs around Dilworth in front of Starbucks and Caribou. Like most pedestrians I have talked with him briefly and he is friendly when he is not on a bender. I heard he was once stable and had a family tragedy that he could not deal with and just lost it. Is this true?

He flipped out on all the customers eating outside at East Blvd Bar and Grille one day; and told everyone that wouldnt give him a ride (Which happened to be everyone) that they would pay. Yeah he has family in town apparently he just always runs away when they try and take him in.

I worked an Clerical Assistant type job on east blvd for a couple years, and everyday I would run errands to the bank and the post office on foot, and I have had quite a few insights into the mind of chilly willy.

Here is the story of Larry Majors, aka chilly willy/ crazy larry.

Crazy Larry is from Charlotte, not sure what he did for a living, but he was a member of the motorcycle gang known as the outlaws. Actually, If you look at his wrists and arms he has outlaws tattood on his body in multiple places, and also numerous jail house tats, including swastikas and etc. He's really not that bad of a guy, believe it or not. He was arrested in the 1970s or 80s for shooting a police officer and served time for murder but was later released due to the shootings circumstances. It was finally proven that the police officer was in the process of raping Larrys sister when he was shot. Larry was released from jail, with a tarnished record and a grim viewpoint on life, as one can imagine Shooting a police officer doesn't help you get a job, so he was not able to make ends meet and became homeless. He actually enjoys his life, but regrets what has happened to him. In the late to mid 90s his, "wife" was struck by a drunk driver while pregnant with his child, and he sort of had a melt down from there. His brother is david majors I think, he is a plumber in charlotte, and helps larry when he can, but larry makes a good amount of money panhandling. His family doesn't really try too hard to take him in, but I know people who have taken him in to bath, or given him a ride. He is a living legend however, and everyone knows him.

But there is a lot of characters in dilworth. There is the guy whos wife has been pregnant for 2 years nows, and he still seems to be trying to get a bus home. Then there are more pleasant characters like Myles who is always at Caribou Coffee on East with his tarot cards and laptop, reading everyones future. I think its characters that make a neighborhood great.

• 2 weeks later...

During my early evening run down East today I saw Dilworth's resident street character, Willy being loaded into an ambulance in front of Starbucks. That corner is his usual haunt. To me it looked like he was in a straitjacket so I assumed he would be away for quite awhile this time around. Well I just walked back from dinner at Moe's and Willy is right back in front of Starbucks waving at cars and talking to pedestrians whether they want to respond or not. Can't keep Willy down. I said hello and he said if we would "look out for each other" he would get me some great pot :fun::lol: and then he put his radio back up to his ear and started talking to it. Odd yes but he does give the neighborhood some eccentric flavor.

Used to have daily run-ins with Larry and his then girlfriend, Crystal. What a pair. They would hang out (live?) under the East Blvd bridge at Freedom Park. I was training for a marathon back then (2001) and used the greenway as part of my route. They were always friendly and never asked me for a dime. Something oddly comforting about seeing them there--until Crystal beat Larry to a pulp and put him in the hospital. Things were never the same after that.